U.S. economy shows some muscle, housing still weak

Creffitt wrote:

Please do not forget that a lot of people have exhausted thier unemployment benifits but still can’t find a job. Just because there are fewer people that can file does not mean Obama is doing a good job. The figures you base your report on are flawed at the least and maybe just not accurate at all.

Mar 27, 2014 9:21am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ineeditbad wrote:

If you can’t Dazzle them with Brilliance, then Baffle them with BS…That has been the theme for the past 6 years…

Mar 27, 2014 9:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Creffitt wrote:

yes i misspelled their

Mar 27, 2014 9:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

the cover picture showed some nice waver-board housing. should last 10-15 years before it needs to be pulled down.

Mar 27, 2014 9:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheFutureMan wrote:

Oh please!

Mar 27, 2014 10:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheFutureMan wrote:

Oh please!

Mar 27, 2014 10:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheFutureMan wrote:

@ Wilhelm
Yeah and then we get a the true picture. A man in a job line looking pretty hopeless at getting a part-time job at 47 after being out of work for a year.

Mar 27, 2014 10:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

wilhelm – It is less the material than the quality of workmanship in construction. WAFER-board with a proper shell will last for many decades. With proper home maintenance, required by every home, there is no reason it should not last a century or more. People treat homes much like they do cars, they buy them and expect to never have to put any money into them for care and maintenance, and that is just not the case.

Mar 27, 2014 10:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Mar 27, 2014 10:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Economic statistics have been collected and reported the same way for decades. Yet, because the latest trends don’t quite fit the Faux News narrative, they must be “BS”. Pathetic.

Mar 27, 2014 10:27am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

rgebrew, I agree with you in that reporting has been the same for years. The problem lies in that the current conditions are so completely different that the old measure is no longer relevant. The numbers have never been accurate, but they were useful in revealing general trends and conditions. The big difference is that the number of unemployed that have been forced out of the workforce and the length of time so many have been unemployed make the numbers not only inaccurate(as always) but now they are no longer even relevant. As I have given for example before, just because no one on my street owns a horse and buggy does not mean I come from a poor neighborhood, it means that the measure of affluence has changed and old criteria no longer apply. It is time that the measure change to more accurately reflect obama’s “new” America that he has ushered in.

Mar 27, 2014 10:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ineeditbad wrote:

@gregbrew56:
I am assuming you are referring to my comment? I try to value everyone’s opinion…Can you provide all of us with Standards that define how Government Statistics are collected and reported? Specifically, for this thread? If I am wrong on my assumption, my apologies.

Mar 27, 2014 11:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“Economic Indicators Improve, Jobless Claims Drop.”

Hey republicans, just pretend Romney got elected and you are reading this headline. Then you can actually ENJOY it instead of crying yet another day.

Mar 27, 2014 11:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
prolibertate wrote:

Nonsense! I’ve been working since I was 5 and if I can’t find gigs (with clients that can pay with currency other than promises) – things really suck!!

Mar 27, 2014 11:17am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

“Hey republicans, just pretend Romney got elected and you are reading this headline” – If this were the case, we would undoubtedly be seeing more than ripples in the pond. Things have not changed by any significant measure in 5+ years, except that far fewer people are actully working jobs that provide a decent living. Oh, and the nation has become a laughingstock on the international scene as the indecisive one tries to figure out what other nations are doing and what they want him to do. You applaud this convoluted headline of praising ripples in the economy and job market that really are nothing. Jobs report “best in 4 months”, really, in this DNC induced recession of 7+ years, you want to get excited about “best in 4 months”?

Ignoring the problem, spending most of your efforts blaming the GOP, and trying to buy votes through pandering to the moochers and uninformed to further destroy the nation and economy is NOT fixing the problem that is still very much in front of us.

Mar 27, 2014 11:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

@gcf1965: Bad morning? :)

Mar 27, 2014 12:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Simplerman wrote:

Home sales lagging – yep, see for sale signs everywhere, AND still empty houses sitting from the last go-around. Not good.

Where is all the supposed housing demand coming from anyway?

Mar 27, 2014 12:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Alkaline, it has been a bad morning for 7 years as I get up and see what has, and continues, to be done by incompetent politicians who are defended by clueless and blinded partisan followers. What is worse, is when people focus so narrowly on meaningless tripe yet refuse to accept the overall state of affairs that is so obviously counter to all they want it to be. That would necessitate them accepting that their ideas are wrong and/or not working and/or implemented poorly.

Mar 27, 2014 12:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Timbuk3 wrote:

@gfc, you said “reporting has been the same for years. The problem lies in that the current conditions are so completely different that the old measure is no longer relevant. The numbers have never been accurate, but they were useful in revealing general trends and conditions. ”

Can you imagine the howling if the govt actually changed the reporting methods and data type? Even Obama supporters would start to distrust the data. The data reporting methods really do need to remain the same in order for there to be some level of public trust.

I understand your point about how things are different now after the near financial collapse that took place just before Obama took office. But as you say, the data is useful really only for trending, and the trending is showing a steadily improving economy.

I guess you could say that Obama is failing in his attempt to “destroy ‘Murica” and “make us all dependent on the government”.

Mar 27, 2014 12:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
fbutes wrote:

“The revision, which was broadly in line with economists’ expectations”

What absolute BS. The revision came in BELOW expectations.

Mar 27, 2014 12:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Well gcf1965, I am sorry to hear of your plight. Did you ever consider investing in the stock market back in 2008-2009, after it tanked? Buy low? I know it’s all very complicated, Bank of America stock selling for $ 2.80 per share one year, then $18 per share the next year (math, I know) but…. Obama can’t hold your hand on everything. You gotta jump in and see opportunity when it knocks. The couch is no way to go through life :)

Mar 27, 2014 12:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

And all of this against solid Republican obstruction. Think where we’d be if the GOP had been constructive.

Mar 27, 2014 1:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BioStudies wrote:

I was looking for truth in this article. Came up dry.

Mar 27, 2014 1:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

BioStudies complains: “I was looking for truth in this article. Came up dry.”

Well you know:

“This work deals in facts, not truth. If it’s truth you’re looking for, there is a philosophy class right down the hall.” -Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Mar 27, 2014 1:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

Ha! Great quote, AS. I’d forgotten that one.

Mar 27, 2014 1:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

As the body is known to twitch and expel gases, even after death, Alkaline would see that and argue that the corpse was alive and in great health as there was some activity happening more than the previous moment.

No, I did not get in on BAC, though it would have been a pretty good ride, but I am employed with investments of my own and doing ok currently, though my current salary is just over half of what it was in 2005, not even considering inflation, what little there has been.

Mar 27, 2014 1:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

@gcf, it wasn’t just BAC, it was the entire stock market. It has more than doubled since the start of 2009. Anyone who did not get in on the bargains, but complains 5 years later about how crummy things are (cuz obama, cuz obama, cuz obama….) is probably beyond help. As for your current salary, if you don’t like it… quit. No offense.

Mar 27, 2014 3:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SunnyDaySam wrote:

AlkalineState wrote: ‘@gcf, it wasn’t just BAC, it was the entire stock market. It has more than doubled since the start of 2009.’

AS: I did the math back during the bush/GOP decade and I was going to have to be 93 before I could retire. Now I just retired. I blame Obama. ;-)

Mar 27, 2014 4:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
1DukeZ wrote:

I love it. Washington talk lingo. Someone got a new job last quarter=Job market is growing. Three people bought a home last quarter= Housing is looking up. Two million people left the work force last quarter= unemployment is on the way down. Food prices have increased 25% last quarter (food costs not included in cost of living calculation)= no real inflation. So all the pundits say : all economic indicators show a rapidly growing economy and good times are about to come.
Just face it, we;re doomed and everyone should be writing their congress member to start passing laws to create bread line locATIONS.

Mar 27, 2014 5:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

@SunnyDaySam: Happy retirement! I am envious. Four more years. I’ll probably get in a car wreck 3 years and 11 months from now :)

Mar 27, 2014 5:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse