GM expands ignition switch recall to 2.6 million cars

Chazz wrote:

You just gotta love those union built in the U.S.A. cars!

Mar 28, 2014 6:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
tiktin wrote:

I will say that the newer cars (i.e. last ten years) are hard to steer or brake if the ignition is turned off or if the engine fails. This is not safe, in my opinion and cannot be blamed on the government, at least so far as I know. Added to all the dangerous mandates forced on the industry by the government, i.e., seat belts, air bags, head rests, booster seats, thickened windshield pillars, and on and on, driving is not as safe as it used to be. It’s still pretty safe, at least based on the government statistics (which may or may not be accurate) the chance of a safe driver being killed in an auto accident is about one in one billion vehicle miles, or about half as likely as winning the power ball jackpot. This is not something anyone in his right mind would worry about. Still, that number may no longer be accurate, based on the latest “safety” improvements. The best safety improvement would be to repeal 49 CFR 571 and stop the government from interfering.

Mar 28, 2014 6:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
tiktin wrote:

Mar 28, 2014 6:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
notfooled2 wrote:

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. If the engine died in my car,and the power assist stopped working on my steering, I would be upset, but I wouldn’t call it life threatening. The brakes will still work unless you pumped them several times and after that they will work with increased effort, the steering will still work with some increase in effort.
There seems to be no limit on how much junk people will hang on their key ring, so what is the limit on the key not turning.
With all that said, I think this recall is all BS and lawyers.

Mar 28, 2014 10:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
worldscan wrote:

I was a GM fan all my life but I swore off GM after my 93 Suburban’s paint started peeling.

Mar 29, 2014 9:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

Yes, I’ve stayed away from GM for a while now due to poor quality. Now GM and Toyota are 100% off my list of potential buys. I’m just not going to buy from them if they hide serious safety issues like they have.

Mar 29, 2014 11:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

For the first time in my life I recently considered purchasing a Chevy. This monster recall made me cancel those plans.

Mar 29, 2014 12:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
4sight2020 wrote:

not mentioned in the story is how all this went on right under the regulators noses. they were too busy prosecuting toyota for a similar problem to investigate a company that was just bailed out by us tax dollars.

Mar 29, 2014 12:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AH100m wrote:

And NOW they admit that they didn’t change the part number with the redesigned switch !!!??? How do you spell criminal negligence – GM. Now I wonder how much this fiasco will cost the taxpayers, another $10 B ?

Mar 29, 2014 1:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse