Miami officials seek to end annual Ultra music fest, cite 'chaos'

SoutherRican wrote:

Who owns Bayfront, guess one doesn’t need permission for a festival. If the city permitted the function it is also liable, not the first problem in 16 years is it, the defense rests.

Mar 31, 2014 1:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NoSacredCow wrote:

Ultra was much better when it was held on the beach in South Beach rather than downtown. The City of Miami stands to lose a major source of annual revenue if they deny permits for future Ultra festivals. (Room tax revenues will drop) The concert series is almost inextricable from Winter Music Conference. So rather than make some changes for permitting to increase security and to improve education to music tourists about laws and rules in Miami, they’d rather just throw it away. Typical.

Mar 31, 2014 1:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MrBeansBaby wrote:

Shut the stinking thing down.

Mar 31, 2014 2:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mudflap wrote:

“Nobody puts anything of this nature in their downtown,”

Gosh, Mr Sarnoff…I know you’re not a rocket surgeon but what in blue blazes did you think would happen when YOU and the rest of city hall approved this event?

Mar 31, 2014 3:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hotpantslarry wrote:

There’s no room for dance music in Miami!

Mar 31, 2014 4:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DarkStarAz wrote:

One overdose death last year?
Show me any city of 150K and there is an overdose death.

Mar 31, 2014 9:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dabug911 wrote:

ULTRA has outgrown Miami just like the Electric Daisy Carnival did LA, I’ve gone to a number of these events and they have become increasingly more out of control and crazy and HUGE compared to what they once were when they were not as main stream, with going main stream the crowd has changed and the as a result the party has. It needs to move to a city that can handle it and like EDC did I think Vegas would be a good option for this event, its built for these types of parties and EDC goes out with fairly few incidents when you consider the size of the event, the remote location and other things. If Miami wants to lose probably 100 million in revenue (or more) our city would be happy to take that money! Insomniac is already moving two other major Cali events to Vegas, just send them all this way.

Mar 31, 2014 9:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thenations wrote:

And just wait until Florida votes to join Colorado and Washington State in permitting marijuana use. There’ll be more than one female security guard who’ll suffer.

Mar 31, 2014 11:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Luke61 wrote:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again… Electronic Dance Music
fans are not music fans. If they were, they would be listening to
musicians. What they are fans of is dancing, partying, getting high, and getting laid. Why else would they get so excited about watching
somebody spin records and push buttons? Because they are not paying
attention anyway! Their attention is where they want it: on themselves. It is not about the “performers” on stage but the performers on the dance floor. The City of Miami needs to tell them to take this lame festival elsewhere.

Apr 01, 2014 2:22am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Luke61 wrote:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again… Electronic Dance Music
fans are not music fans. If they were, they would be listening to
somebody spin records and push buttons? Because they are not paying

Apr 01, 2014 2:22am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JohnStarkMD wrote:

Chicago hosts ” lollapalooza”. While it is not downtown, it is on the west side and is welcomed back joyfully every year. Event organizers and Chicago officials work together to throw the event, not a one sided dictatorship like in Miami.

Rather than working together,Miami commissioner Marc Sarnoff has his own agenda. That seems to be to just shut it down. This is typical 1960 era thinking when they thought they were trying to protect main stream America from the threat of “Rock and Roll”.

Apr 01, 2014 8:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Longtooth68 wrote:

160,000 people and one died of an overdose? Other than the fact there was a person at the other end of that statistic, what is shocking about that? People die everyday and if you randomly take 160,000, it is not at all a surprise that one dies from an OD or heart/heat related condition. Now, the crushing death of a security guard, that is a bit different. No reason to cancel next year’s festival though IMO, but it does raise the bar and associated price for insurance and crowd control. I think that is a reasonable response.

Apr 01, 2014 8:45am EDT  --  Report as abuse
rjm2238 wrote:

I hate to date myself here but I have to say I never heard of any Ultra Music Festival or electronic dance music. From what I gather it weems to be a “D.J.” playing records and a bunch of other folks partying.
Doesn’t sound like trouble as long as the venue is capable of supporting a crowd as large as those listed at some of these events here. I was at Woodstock in August of 1969 and I can safely say there was more than one overdose, although I can’t recall if iany of them resulted in any fatalities, but the point is, back then everyone made a point of pointing out how peaceful etc., everyone was, yet here there is one OD and an unfortunate but no doubt accidental crushing of a worker and the typical response is, Shut it down.
Where has freedom gone over the years? I think we all know. I also remember that just prior to that Woodstock concert a had completed basic training so that I would be pprepared to serve a free country, a free country which seemsmro have been taken from us by all those who instead of fighting for that freedom, just yell, shut it down.
What a shame and what a loss, all in just one generation.
Rich in New Mexico.

Apr 01, 2014 10:31am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gtvbjt wrote:

Wow, I am really disappointed with the ignorant comments in here. I am a “normal person”, CPA/tax preparer, and a lover of EDM music. I strongly want to challenge the notion that “Electronic Dance Music fans are not music fans”. This could not be further from the truth and shows a vast lack of knowledge about the topic. Just because you don’t “get” the music, don’t hate on those that do.

Counterpoint: check out Above & Beyond’s acoustic album. They are playing the exact same songs as the electronic versions – just with classical instruments. The album is loved by many in the EDM world.

These festivals are primarily about getting together to celebrate and enjoy music – just like Woodstock. This party atmosphere draws a lot of young adults who like to party. Unfortunately, this often means drugs are involved (just like Woodstock, Burning Man, or any other festival). I would love nothing more than to take drugs out of the picture. It would lead to a lot better experience at these concerts for me. But, I do not hate those that do. Rather, I have pity for them.

Apr 02, 2014 2:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse