Treasury secretary to show 'commitment' to Detroit in visit

Comments (7)
Zeken wrote:

Let nature have it back, She deserves it.

Apr 21, 2014 3:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AZWarrior wrote:

I can’t think of many things that would anger the American middle class much more than giving our tax dollars to bailout the irresponsible cities who corruptly gave away the wealth of their cities to union goons. It would be best if we allowed the natural consequences of corruption and extravagance to consume the cities who engaged in this reckless behavior. There is something to be said for some “Social Darwinism”. Let the weak in character die. The herd will be better for it.

Apr 21, 2014 3:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AZWarrior wrote:

I can’t think of many things that would anger the American middle class much more than giving our tax dollars to bailout the irresponsible cities who corruptly gave away the wealth of their cities to union goons. It would be best if we allowed the natural consequences of corruption and extravagance to consume the cities who engaged in this reckless behavior. There is something to be said for some “Social Darwinism”. Let the weak in character die. The herd will be better for it.

Apr 21, 2014 3:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Zeken wrote:

To be fair, it wasn’t just unions that turned the Paris of the Midwest into Detoilet.

Think of it as Haiti in America.

Apr 21, 2014 4:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
4825 wrote:

That’s right, go ahead and bail them out with our tax dollars and pi$$ off about 75% of Americans that are capable of thinking for their self. The other 25% are sheep that will go along with any dumb liberal idea out there. When they tell those sheep to jump they say “how high”. Maybe the other 75% will remember in November and kick your sorry politics to the curb.

Apr 21, 2014 4:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
COindependent wrote:

This is an ugly precedent….first Detroit, then Vallejo, then San Bernardino, then California, Illinois and New York–all running massive deficits. The citizens elected the politicians that sold them down the river–so let the citizens live with their votes. Perhaps we can ding the politicians their pensions to account for their poor decisions–but that probably won’t happen).

It’s better to let Detroit, as stated previously, to resolve their own issues. Bailouts and other indirect funding will only serve to reinforce bad behaviors in other areas of the country. Detroit has the opportunity to come back, but it will require focused and responsible management, and time. Let this be a lesson to all politicians at the local and state level–you break it, you own it. Don’t ask a citizen in Colorado to unscrew the damage in Detroit when they did not have a vote.

Apr 22, 2014 10:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse
kbill wrote:

Stop intervening. Let it rise or fall based on its own merit, political decisions, and market value. If investors won’t take the risk that a return on investment is probable, why should my tax money be risked for yet another Obama sunk-cost on a long shot. Close the doors; turn off the lights; the long social democrat, multicultural experiment call ‘Detroit’ is over.

Apr 22, 2014 12:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.