Retired nurse sues for $275,000 in Oregon pet duck attack

marygre4 wrote:

Really????? She ran from a silly little duck? Sound more like she thought it was the goose that laid the golden egg! Frivolous lawsuits need to stop.

Apr 22, 2014 9:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kansaskid wrote:

At first reading the headlines in yahoo search and reading she was attacked on her mothers property a thought came to mind, I assumed before reading the article that the duck was her mothers and she was suing her mother. I guess I assumed wrong.

Apr 22, 2014 10:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Lynn865 wrote:

Why would anyone run from a duck? That’s just stupid.

Apr 22, 2014 11:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Heartlandman wrote:

Ruddell’s attorney forgot to ask for additional compensation for the lifelong psychological damage that will be done to her in dealing with people’s reaction to her pathetic inability to defend herself from a six pound bird toothless, clawless bird and her lame attempt to profit from her own clumsiness.
Is it a dead duck or the goose that laid her golden egg?

Apr 23, 2014 7:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bobo9 wrote:

Must have been one massive duck, hey ??!!
25 grand in actual medical cost for a broken wrist sounds really suspect to me though — maybe her attorney’s helping her run up bills for rehab & other stuff beyond what is really required ??
Was on a jury once with an ambulance chaser, & he said he has an agreement with one of those rehab clinics to run up bills in anticipation of big settlements — the bigger the cost incurred, the more he figured juries would award.

Apr 23, 2014 8:45am EDT  --  Report as abuse
perfectflaw wrote:

I was once hit broadside by an SUV driven by a teenager who went through a stopsign. I had to be airlifted to the hospital and was in a coma for 10 days…broke almost every bone in my body and had massive internal injuries. I should have been hit by a duck. I would have made out better.

Apr 23, 2014 9:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
grizmom wrote:

I have both geese & ducks as pets. Some of my geese are over 15 years old. They are naturally curious and sometimes better guard animals then my dogs as they’ll circle “intruders” while boisterously honking. For the most part they’re harmless, except in late spring (April,May) when they’re pairing off & nesting offspring. Like EVERY animal protecting young, they can become very aggressive if threatened – intentionally or not. Additionally, running from ANY animal is ill advised & an invitation to be chased. It’s so easy to blame other’s for one’s poor choices, and in this instance, sheer idiocy & clumsiness.I fail to see how this neighbor could have anticipated this woman’s ignorant reaction to her pet’s instinctive behavior. I hope her attorney educates himself in animal behavior when preparing her defense of this ridiculous lawsuit.

Apr 23, 2014 9:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
bluemalak wrote:

Another frivolous lawsuit. I mean really, $250,000.00 for pain and suffering because she was scared of a duck and fell down? She shouldn’t even get the $25,000.00 for medical. She is exactly the kind of person who’s destroying this country, people that will do anything for money, no conscience, no morals, just greed. Makes me ill.

Apr 23, 2014 10:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse