Pro-Russians storm Odessa police station, PM slams local police

Comments (78)
BigBrad wrote:

Ya know, regardless of who started it, who is working the strings behind the scenes or whatever, the simple logic for me anyway is this….if these people want to be Russians, then why not simply live in Russia, it is just over the border….not like you have to move too far away now is it…

And that is why I tend to believe the Ukrainian version of events in this matter….Putin, you have become the next George W and must be held accountable….although just like Bush, you won’t….

May 03, 2014 9:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

Another Syria in the works. How sad, in the current times for this to happen.

May 03, 2014 12:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

Why cant anyone get real Ukrainian people to talk and give their opinion. Someone get in their and knock on some doors and find out what the people think and want. Its just a constant drone from the mouths of liars who are only out to benefit themselves. Maybe there is a good blog out there from inside Ukraine but of cause the NSA would find it and send the CIA to burn all its participants alive.

May 03, 2014 12:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
daniel3125 wrote:

Something tells me that 17 billion the IMF sent them isn’t going to anything even remotely close to economic building. Seems the minute that deal was signed, the war machine ramped up in Kiev.

May 03, 2014 12:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
daniel3125 wrote:

@eggplant69 wrote: There’s quite the pro-Russian PR campaign going on in the Reuters comments section. You see it on American sites, as well. Commentators with American sounding usernames, but mangled English and odd references.

Not being brainwashed by one sided reports doesn’t make one a pro-Russian PR campaign member. Such comments are like the pot calling the kettle black.

May 03, 2014 12:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@daniel3125 – by “one sided reports” you do of course mean the entirety of Western media.

And presumably the only way to gain the full picture is to ignore this completely, and instead embrace Russia’s state controlled press? Regardless of the fact that the truth is suppressed so severely in Russia that media outlets are closed simply for not towing the Putin line, and journalists regularly end up dead when they try to report the eye-watering levels of corruption there.

Dude, I hate to be the one to tell you this therefore, but you are most definitely the one being brainwashed by one sided reports. It’s why, very understandably, people will think you are a Kremlin propaganda stooge. Because the only other sensible conclusion is that you are a gullible moron. One of those conspiracy loons for instance.

But let me guess daniel3125, the Rothschilds and illuminati are ultimately to blame for this whole crisis, and its all held together with a fantastical conspiracy involving the IMF, NATO, Neo-Nazis, and presumably James Bond.

May 04, 2014 3:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
prospektor wrote:

Everybody who saw the videos on Youtube knows that it was murder. You can see anti-govt protesters just walking around at their tent camp, then suddenly hundreds of men storm onto the compound, beating, shooting, throwing petrol bombs, first burning the tents down, then attacking the people who fled into the building, a constant barrage of firebombs, shooting at the people inside. Search Youtube for “Это мой народ?” and “Одесса дом профсоюзов ПОЛНОЕ ВИДЕО” for example. It’s disgusting how people try to talk it down or justify it. This is direct responsibility of Kiev, who just 48 hours before called for militias to help “destroy” and “eliminate” anti-government activist (whom they call “terrorists”). This was a massacre, and those responsible sit in the government and plan “anti-terrorist operations” with the CIA and FBI (leaked information from German intelligence in today’s newspapers across Germany, but since Brennan’s visit no real surprise).
Also the east: Will the US call for a no-fly-zone due to Kiev shooting its own people with attack helicopters? Doubtful. This is a meltdown of western credibility.

May 04, 2014 3:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

Let’s be honest here, Putin couldn’t be doing a better job of recruiting former Soviet states into NATO if he tried.

His actions, creating fear and loathing with Russian aggression, will have every single one of those former states running with open arms to embrace NATO as tightly as they possibly can. And who can blame them?

If Putin doesn’t want NATO to expand as he claims, then why is he doing everything he can to make it happen?

Two obvious conclusions. The first is that he is actually a NATO agent. In which case, good work agent Putin.

That’s clearly unlikely however.

The second conclusion is that Putin is too stupid to realize the ultimate outcome of his actions. Either that or he is too trapped in his own extreme nationalist rhetoric to be able to achieve any other conclusion than the one he is currently claiming as the worst case scenario.

Putin is trapped in an ever growing vicious circle. He claims NATO is expanding and therefore needs to act with overt aggression, but this aggression is actually the thing leading to NATO’s expansion.

It’s why Putin, and his apologists, need nutty conspiracies. They are needed to counter the fact that it is overwhelmingly Russian actions, not the West, that are leading the terrible outcomes of this current crisis.

Add to that Russia’s financial woes and things don’t look so good for Putin. Certainly not in the long term.

May 04, 2014 4:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
lub wrote:

The Western media are government controlled even when they are not government owned. None of them states clearly that the building was set on fire by the pro-Kiev thugs. Now the Kiev junta will investigate it. The outcome of the investigation is as predictable as in the case of the snipers shooting before the overthrow of the previous government. What else can it be if the perpetrators investigate their own crimes?

May 04, 2014 4:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
prospektor wrote:

Holy cow, aren’t the comments moderated? Why is spam allowed, but my comments never get through? What a joke.

May 04, 2014 4:51am EDT  --  Report as abuse
aahanmohan wrote:

Haha, pro-Russian? Really? Go through the Reuters front page. I used to respect Reuters a lot back in the day due to the impartial manner in which used to report on a number of conflicts but boy have they let me down. I’m being forced to rely on sites like the CS Monitor to report on important things like the fact that Kiev has started using the Pravy Sektor (Right Sector) militia to carry out these “anti-terrorist operations”. (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2014/0501/Kiev-s-new-gambit-in-eastern-Ukraine-a-militia-of-its-own) Reuters has NOT reported this very important fact. Or, for that matter, the fact that this entire thing started after the new government in Kiev enacted a law declaring Ukrainian to be the only official language. Yes, they rolled it back and pretended that it never happened but shouldn’t someone report it?
I never thought I’d face a neutrality problem with Reuters. Quite shocking and disappointing.

May 04, 2014 5:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

Lub – doesn’t it strike you as odd that Putin applauded the new Egyptian regime when they shot dead hundreds of protesters with snipers?

Doesn’t it also strike you as odd, that Putin only decried the death of the Ukrainian protesters by snipers in the Maiden, when it led to the overthrow of their laughably corrupt former president? Before that Putin was more than happy to see snipers killing protesters, exactly as he is still is with Egypt’s sniper killings.

Putin’s happy with killing innocents as long as it suits his corrupt purposes. If it doesn’t, then he claims its yet another fantastical Western conspiracy.

The obvious question therefore is lub; why are you so gullible to believe Putin?

Or am I asking the wrong question there? Should my question be; how much is Putin paying you to spread Kremlin propaganda?

May 04, 2014 6:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

@eggplant Not just Russians, this is one Australian appalled at the US support for the Nazi party in Ukraine. What has happened to the United States?

May 04, 2014 6:35am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

@JackHerer Snipers are the MO of the US, in every country where the US overthrows the Government, Syria Libya Ukraine, there are snipers.

May 04, 2014 6:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
lub wrote:

@JackHerer

Did you hear the leaked phone conversation between Ashton and the Estonian minister? He was updating her on the snipers shooting saying they belonged to the opposition. It is a serious piece of evidence. No conspiracy theory. The recording was very clear. You can notice the silence as Ashton is dumbstruck, thinking “oh s*it..” Then the opposition (current junta) gets to investigate it, even without OSCE. Not that OSCE would be any guarantee of an independent investigation..

May 04, 2014 6:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

2 Austrailians

May 04, 2014 6:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

The West started this. The east will finish it. Why would anyone want to run to NATO? Western economies will soon collapse and the countries in the best position to deal with it are China, India and Russia. These are the next world leaders and if a government has any brains it is who they should be aligning themselves with. If the Yanks call us into this war I hope our government has the nuts to say no, going into Iraq was bad enough but someone had to do the ground work them, I guess.

May 04, 2014 7:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Calfri wrote:

Apparently Obama so far isn’t even willing to cancel a helicopter contract the U.S. has with Russia with which to supply Afghanistan. Is he going to keep using Russian space capsules, even after the Russian’s snide remarks about it? Evidently. He can’t admit he’s been wrong all along on foreign policy, because he’s too conceited. But his policy isn’t working. He needs to bite the bullet and do tougher sanctions.

May 04, 2014 7:16am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sammwise wrote:

Vicky Nukand’s appointed government should have just stayed on the dole and waited for the elections in 2015 to remove the duplicitous President. People who come into power via violent, unnecessary coups just breed more violence and instability (Syria, Egypt, Libya).
But then again, violence and instability seem to be one of the only ‘products’ the USA actually exports.

May 04, 2014 7:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

Bblllllaaaaaahahahahaha thats funny!!

May 04, 2014 8:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

I see you are following the classic method of the conspiracy theorist lub:

Take a single comment and run with it. Base your entire argument on it. Regardless of its factual basis in the first place, regardless of the actual source of the info for the comment, and regardless of how much it fails to be backed up afterwards.

The leaked comment in question was from Estonian foreign minister Urmas Paet. Paet said he had been told snipers responsible for killing police and civilians in Kiev were protest movement provocateurs. His supposed source for this info was Olga Bogomolets, a well respected Ukrainian doctor, who actually specializes in dermatology and cosmetology, but also helped treat the dead and injured in the Maiden.

Now here’s the crux. There are no comments whatsoever attributable to Olga Bogomolets to support Urmas Paet’s comments. More than that, Olga Bogomolets was unequivocal when asked about it afterwards. She said she had not told Mr Paet that policemen and protesters had been killed in the same manner – which was the basis of the supposed conspiracy theory.

To quote her on this:

“I think you can only say something like this on the basis of fact. Its not correct and its not good to do this. It should be based on fact.”

The sad truth is that facts don’t matter to conspiracy theorists though. Facts actually get in the way for conspiracy nuts.

Don’t you feel uncomfortable lub, relying on flimsy Chinese whispers, which don’t hold up at all to scrutiny, to justify and defend the actions of an oppressive and corrupt Russian regime? If you used logic in your reasoning, rather than paranoia, then you certainly should.

I certainly find it bizarre the way conspiracy loons can ignore and overlook the obvious repression of the truth in Russia, when the truth is the thing they claim to be fighting for.

If you have the truth on your side lub, you don’t need to rely on flimsy Chinese whispers for your entire argument.

May 04, 2014 8:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gowintec wrote:

Russian government is a lie, they allow persecution of people in their own country. There is 16 Christians facing jail time and $10,000 fine for worshiping, also not allowed to leave city, in a part of Russia. While others are beaten and their possessions taken from them in other parts of Russia. I have creditable contacts within Russia that are witnessing these unjust acts. Yes there are a lot of Lies that both U.S and Russia have been caught in, but right now Russia seems to be heading down a road that will lead to the destruction of many.

May 04, 2014 8:45am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gowintec wrote:

Watch this and get some perspective on how some of this playing out in Ukraine, posted in 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUxuq-E9yA

May 04, 2014 8:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@Sinbad1 – every country has snipers in their army. It means nothing.

What matters is those countries which actively use those snipers to murder protesters.

Egypt would be an excellent example of its government using snipers to kill protesters.

Putin’s thoughts on Eqypt’s slaughter of its own citizens using snipers? Putin applauded the death of the Egyptian civilians with snipers. Why? Because it suits his corrupt dictator’s club.

Similarly Putin was quite happy with the Ukrainian slaughter using snipers. That is until it led to the overthrow of the Ukrainian president, who, crucially, was a fully fledged member of his corrupt dictator’s club.

Don’t you care Sinbad1, that, first and foremost, you are protecting and justifying the actions of this corrupt dictator’s club?

Or are you seriously so deluded that you think these people are the good guys in all this? Is endemic corruption a good thing in your mind? Or don’t you care in your apparent overriding aim to blame the West, and the US in particular, for everything?

May 04, 2014 8:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

Hahahappy, you need to emigrate to Russia double quick before the Western economies all collapse!

Iraq was wrong incidentally. That one’s a no brainer. Using Iraq as a basis to ignore the human rights abuses of Russia, or China, or India, however, is even more stupid.

You really need to visit those countries to see how the common man lives there. It’s certainly no Mardis Gras compared with the West.

The West might not be perfect, but trust me, the average Joe has it good here. Like I say, visit Russia and see for yourself the difference.

May 04, 2014 8:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

@eggplant69
Yuo’re a jerk. People have suffered terrible deaths and you are using the occasion for spreading the bullshit propaganda. Here is the latest information on the issue you mentioned, which I found and Google translated from the most pro-western Ukrainian online Ukrainska Pravda. Translation is awkward, but the statement is clear. See above.

the names of 14 victims
Five died from gunshot wounds , four – in the fall of the house building trade unions. All of them are locals.
In the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Security Service currently not call names , citing the confidentiality of investigations .
1. Andrey Biryukov , 1978 born – Gunshot wound,
2. Brozhevskiy Andrew, born in 1987 – The fall of the upper floors ,
3. Bulakh Victor, born in 1956 – The fall of the upper floors ,
4. Varenikina Anna, 1955 – Choked on smoke
5. Ehorskyy Nicholas, born in 1976 – Gunshot wound,
6. Zhulkov Alexander, born in 1968 – Gunshot wound,
7. Igor Ivanov , 1987 born – Gunshot wound,
8. Anatoliy Kalin , 1976 born – The fall of the upper floors ,
9. Vyacheslav Markin , 1969 born , Deputy council – died in hospital from wounds
10. Sergey Mishin , 1986 born – Perished in the fire,
11. Nehaturov Vadim, 1959 , Odessa poet – died in the fire,
12. Nikitenko Max, born in 1982 – The fall of the upper floors ,
13. Gennady Petrov , born 1985 – Gunshot wound,
14. Sadovnichii Alexander , 1954 – Perished in the fire.

May 04, 2014 9:38am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamesMcQuaid wrote:

Two reasons that all of these ridiculous Russian GRU agents are pretending to be American posters is: 1) to create the false appearance that there is opposition in the U.S. to Ukrainian freedom from the Kremlin (which there is not), and 2) to avoid being disregarded as the chauvinist Russian/Soviet revanchists that they are. A ham handed and nearly transparent disinformation campaign.

May 04, 2014 9:39am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

Yay someone had a go at me. Yes I know, these people see thing differently. They could shoot someone and not bat an eye lid same as we would break a chickens neck and eat it for dinner. Did you know thats how chicken comes about or did you think it came in a red and white bucket with 11 herbs and spices. I will be going to Asia, again, I have no desire to go to Russia, I hate the cold. So anyway, Jackie boy or girl, that is how they live and that is who they are, accept them and dont try to change them and thing will be much easier on everyone.

May 04, 2014 9:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

I also would like to mention that I did not have an opinion on what has happened until being shown two videos on youtube yesterday. First where one of the organizers of this massive atrocity, one famous “maidan” leader, they call “sotnyk” (which, interestingly, Google translates to centurion), so in the first video this centurion guy, surrounded by his aides all in bulletproof vests, calls somebody, apparently preparing the event. Then, the second video shows this same guy firing a handgun into the burning house, where pro-russian activists hid.
Yesterday, I read that Ashton called for an independent investigation of this crime. If I understand correctly, she dropped, or “forgotten” that demand now. Somebody from State Dept called?

May 04, 2014 9:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@Hahahappy – live and let live I say.

There is zero reason why the average Joe in the West can’t be friends with those in Russia.

The problem is clearly the leadership here. Russia in particular is using hatred and division to bring about its selfish, corrupt aims, and causing tragic deaths in the process.

Now you can either overlook this, using conspiracy theories to justify your position. Or you can see things as they are – which is aggression and annexation by Putin to keep his nationalist fervor up.

May 04, 2014 10:20am EDT  --  Report as abuse
lub wrote:

@jackHerer
You are lying about the content of the conversation. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_YkdGbWqk

@BraveNewWrld
Yeah somebody must have called from Washington. There was an article here on Reuters that disappeared too.

May 04, 2014 10:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mzahza wrote:

“It was not clear who had thrown the petrol bombs that started the fire but pro-Russian demonstrators at the police station on Sunday blamed pro-Kiev activists.”

It is clear to me that it was “pro-Kiev soccer fans”, who were interviewed, which I saw on Sky News International (UK). So I wanted to clarify that Reuters has either, not bothered to investigate, or are following an agenda of not pointing the finger at the known offenders when they are “pro Kiev”.

May 04, 2014 11:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

I see it how it is my friend. I dont care for Russia or the US I descend from Italy but have no attachments to it either. But it is obvious that the US can do what they see fit, wrong or rite. But if anyone else dose something its terrorism or some other BS. We dont know what is really going on on the ground in Ukraine how the people feel and what they want. Russia may not be a great place to live, I dont know I have never been. But Im not sure if Ukraine is any better. I get the feeling they really do want to be Russian again and if so I believe they should have that right split the country in 2 and go your separate way. Dow!! What am I saying this isn’t about the people, it never is and both sides are guilty.

May 04, 2014 11:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@lub – pray tell how I’m lying about the conservation, and therefore please enlighten me as to which facts it uncovers support your argument.

Facts obviously, not some unsubstantiated Chinese whispers.

May 04, 2014 11:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@Hahahappy – Putin is a serious abuser of the “terrorism” excuse too of course.

Look up the Moscow apartment bombings. As a conspiracy theorist they must surely blow your mind.

May 04, 2014 12:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Abhi98 wrote:

It’s sad to see how western media is reporting things in Ukraine. Anyone against US, EU or the current Kiev government are being labelled as “militants” by the western media. I can understand if the armed militia in other parts of Ukraine are labelled as militants but as far as the incident in Odessa is concerned both sides were throwing petrol bombs and were armed with clubs etc. Even though there were more casualties on the pro-Russian side, they are now being labelled as militants while pro-Ukrainians are shown as innocent ordinary people.
I don’t think Russia is completely innocent in what’s happening in Ukraine but I personally think US is more responsible for the current situation. They say that Yanukovych and Russia were behind maidan killing but only ones gaining from the aftermath is west and the current government.

May 04, 2014 12:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CdnLady4 wrote:

I just wish nato and the west would give the Ukrainians a hand by quietly/covertly (like Putin did) send in a decent number of special forces to merge with the troops and even the playing field a little. Seems like the good guys have been left to battle a huge monolithic horde in the pro-russian faction without having the equipment, manpower or military leadership required to give them a fighting chance.

Russian special forces are training and leading the terrorists, why can’t the Ukrainian forces get some help? Why is the west letting Putin sacrifice all his ‘family’ in this massacre?

May 04, 2014 12:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lub wrote:

@JackHerer

You wrote: “Paet said he had been told snipers responsible for killing police and civilians in Kiev were protest movement provocateurs.”

He did not say that.

May 04, 2014 1:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
asterix117 wrote:

It is high time disgusting US establishment accepts that the people dying in Eastern Ukraine are hard-working brave citizens who are fighting back to save their livelihoods. It is nothing but pure economics. Any government in Kiev that cannot maintain good ties with Russia will mean unprecendented hardship and unemployment for people in the East (as industry in Eastern Ukriane is heavily dependent on close ties with Russia). Thousands of people on streets are Ukrainian citizens and not Russian militia!!!

Like everywhere else American insentivity is costing hundreds of lives. Anyone who does not correspond to the American world-view and interests is termed evil and terrorist. If only the US had not been adamant to push it’s own agenda and had not encouraged that illegimate puppet in Ukraine, so many lives would have been saved. How dare an unelected President send troops to kill own citizens and the US government fuels this situation. Really biased reporting by Reuters.

May 04, 2014 1:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TomJones932 wrote:

Very sad that the Ukranians are killing their own people, whether Russian or they should either

a)Give back the land to Russia
b)Give the russian ethnic people the option to secede to Russia

May 04, 2014 1:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
itsmysayokay wrote:

Donetsk belongs to Ukraine and Russia will not get away with all this nonsense! It is all illegal land grabs by the Putin administration and it will all fail miserably after NATO intervenes to help Ukraine if they ever get thier behinds moving. Putin may have the upperhand in all this for the time being but woe to him when NATO gets involved!

May 04, 2014 1:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@asterix117 – would the world genuinely be a better place in your head, if everyone simply swallowed the propaganda of Putin’s corrupt regime.

Believe it or not asterix117, the US isn’t always the bad guy.

May 04, 2014 1:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackHerer wrote:

@lub – pray tell what he said then?

I’m certainly intrigued why it is so difficult for you to tell me.

Is it because you don’t actually have any facts from that conversation, only unsubstantiated Chinese whispers?

Tragically I think that’s the truth.

May 04, 2014 1:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

A police station taken down? Where else in the world can this happen
except the Ukraine. Shoot back, stop them. my God you are a garrisoned police station. Incomprehensible!

May 04, 2014 1:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bill1212 wrote:

I think it’s more like Putin won’t leave Ukraine!

May 04, 2014 2:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
boreal wrote:

Feeding the hungry Ukrainian solders with sleeping pills laced food is hilarious. It is far better than killing them with remote controlled drones.

Another byte:-)of food for thought: Why are some Americans so worked up in a frenzy on spreading democracy in Ukraine and perhaps liberating Russia’s bountiful natural resources? Yet, at the same time no one seems to give a damn what takes place in Africa. Mr. Obama himself and millions of Americans have their roots there. Don’t they care at all, or are American people programmed by Big Brother not to notice that African blemish?

May 04, 2014 2:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CanRus wrote:

I offer my moral support to the innocent citizens of Odessa who became the victims of this imported terrorism.

The US is definitely no angel. They (through their CIA gorillas) with help from UK and sometimes EU have been behind many murders, kidnappings and wars over the past 50 years. The American government’s credibility is practically inexistant, and Western media is heavily biased. Those are well-known facts. But Putin is a selfish power-crazed paranoid monster. I can’t understand how any intelligent person can possibly support him, unless they are brainwashed or paid very well. As someone pointed out, life in Russia under his regime for the common person is not pleasant, and it’s getting worse every year. Anyone who’s lived there knows this. People in Western countries have it easy and much more freedom in comparison, even in the corrupt US. Russian media is mostly a sad joke. All the mainstream media is directly controlled by Putin. It broadcasts only propaganda, often lies, and sometimes his crazy conspiracy theories to fuel paranoia in the population that Western countries all want to destroy Russia. That’s mostly how he feeds his “popularity”. There are still a few independant media outlets left who publish more balanced news. But they’re one by one being taken over by the Kremlin or crushed. People who openly dissagree with the goverment end up in jail, or beaten, their business gets seized, sometimes they are killed. In a few years surely there will remain no independant media. So for those in Western countries who honestly admire “strong” Putin, I say try living in Russia for a year as a common person, without your Western money. Then we’ll see if you still think he’s such a great leader. For the Kremlin employees spreading lies and confusion, when Putin has not enough money to pay you anymore, you’ll get your reward.

So for brave people of Ukraine, I say continue to fight to free yourselves from Putin’s boot on your neck. If you don’t give up you will win one day. Putin is a coward hiding behind his army, dreaming of old days of USSR and KGB. His strategy in Ukraine is obvious. He will control Ukraine or destroy it. He lights fires in many places in your country hoping government in Kiev will not be able to put them all out at once. He wants to prevent your elections so he can continue to yell “Junta! Nazis! Facists!” at your government. But he is hypocrite, because he is fascist himself, and there are many other fascists in Russian goverment like Zhirinovsky. He is also very afraid that if Ukraine becomes real free democracy, Russians will make a Maidan in Russia too and overthrow his corrupt government, like Yakunovich. Like I said, he is coward. That’s why he poses riding on horse with no shirt and big gun, like teenage boy.

I have a question for UN, which Security Council is supposed to support countries in trouble. When will you send Peacekeepers to help Ukraine stop all the terrorist attacks everywhere in the country? The government ask for this weeks ago, and yet from UN there is only silence, or “this is bad, please stop”. I know Putin has veto power in the UN Security Council, but it would be very difficult for him to justify refusal to send Peacekeepers. This would be much better than to hold pointless meetings with only arguments and accusations. And if UN cannot or will not help, EU could organize a multinational Peacekeeper force with help of NATO and other countries. It would be much more useful than send NATO troops to Poland and Baltics. Putin is crazy, but he’s not stupid enough to attack a NATO country.

May 04, 2014 2:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
2Borknot2B wrote:

daniel3125 wrote: “Something tells me that 17 billion the IMF sent them isn’t going to anything even remotely close to economic building. Seems the minute that deal was signed, the war machine ramped up in Kiev.” Correct, this is payment for the EU half of the Ukraine and Russia will end up with the other half. I believe this has been in the plans before the beginning of all this side show stuff. Looks like Turkey will end up the star. L.

May 04, 2014 2:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dixiedog44 wrote:

It seems we are beating a dead dog here. Putin is going to take over this nation and the U.S., E.U. and U.N. are too timid and/or self-centered to take any meaningful steps to prevent it. We need a strong world leader with the intestinal fortitude to bloody his nose to have any hope of countering his thinly disguised aggressive takeover tactics and guess what? – we don’t have one. Go to sleep on this one and wake up when the wuss Oliar is out of office.

May 04, 2014 3:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CephasKeith wrote:

All evidence suggest that President Putin has set himself a mission to reconstitute the entire Soviet Union or part of it.

May 04, 2014 3:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CephasKeith wrote:

All evidence suggest that President Putin has set himself a mission to reconstitute the entire Soviet Union or part of it.

May 04, 2014 3:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SmartThinking wrote:

“We will not forgive!”

That attitude works for the Jews and their goyische tools, so why shouldn’t self-interested whites do the same?

May 04, 2014 3:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Reading this article it makes me wonder about Mr. Oleksander Miliukov and Mr. Ralph Boulton’s agenda and objectivity. To this reader it appears that the people who prevailed during Maidan are now referred to as “The Ukrainian Government” as opposed to the individuals who obtained control of the Ukrainian government through protest and violence and the Ukrainians who oppose these individuals, who are primarily from the minority populations in Lvov and Rivne in Western Ukraine, are “Pro-Russia”. What a neat way to elevate one side of this conflict and essentially demonize the other. No wonder that the average Russian and now lost all trust and confidence in the individuals in control of both the US and the EU. Very sad indeed!!

May 04, 2014 3:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carlmartel wrote:

The conflict continues to grow as Ukrainians learn more about the 50% consumer gas price hikes and 40% consumer electricity price hikes that will reach them in bills about June 8 and September 8 AFTER the May 25 election. This makes it APPEAR that the Kiev regime is rigging the election for a four year government that may be overthrown after consumers get their bills. They illegally removed one president, and they will likely do the same to the next leaders.

May 04, 2014 3:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
WiktorProts wrote:

In its unannounced war against Ukraine, Russia relies on covert operations which fall squarely within the definition of “international terrorism” under 18 U.S.C. § 2331.
Specifically, armed operatives of Russia, acting under disguise, attempt to influence the policy of Ukrainian government by intimidation or coercion. They also try to affect the conduct of a government by assassinations and kidnapping, taking by force government buildings, police posts and military bases of Ukraine.
This activity is being conducted on large scale and over prolonged time period, despite condemnation by the USA, G-7, NATO, EU and UN.
Please sign the petition urging the White House to officially designate Russia as “State sponsor of terrorism” – wh.gov/lwuL9
Such status of country would outlaw business of American companies with Russia. Even considering of the petition by Senate and President of USA creating great inconvenience Russian authorities.

May 04, 2014 4:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mjp1958 wrote:

PLEASE note that the majority of pro-Russian comments on the Reuters website are written by Russians and other activists being paid by Mr. Putin to communicate his lies and propaganda. Don’t believe a word of it, because Putin = liar.

May 04, 2014 5:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carlmartel wrote:

PLEASE note that the majority of anti-Russian comments on the Reuters website are written by al Qaeda terrorists paid by Ayman al Zawahiri to start a nuclear war between the US and NATO against Russia and China. Don’t believe any of their words because al Qaeda is the enemy of the US and NATO.

May 04, 2014 5:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Boyeee wrote:

NATO should add Moldova to not legitimize Transnistria and prevent Russia from attacking Ukraine from the East and West.

May 04, 2014 6:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Boyeee wrote:

The Russian separatists should vote in the interim Ukraine governments election as no nation but Russia would recognize Donetsk’s puppet referendum election at gun point. If they could get a close election, they could give themselves some legitimacy.

May 04, 2014 6:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Boyeee wrote:

Putin clearly wants to expand Russia (the world’s largest nation) and reclaim former Soviet states. He has already tried in Kazakhstan, Ukraine, and Georgia.

May 04, 2014 6:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Boyeee wrote:

Whoever wins the May 25th election will be the legitimate government of Ukraine.

May 04, 2014 6:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
chyron wrote:

BraveNewWrld wrote:

> “sotnyk” (which, interestingly, Google translates to centurion)

Literally ‘commander of hundred’, military term from medieval times which survived in south much longer than in North, Right Sector ‘troops’ are divided in ‘sotny’/hundreds in imitation of cossack troops.

May 04, 2014 7:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PaperTrails wrote:

The Ukrainian government formed by coup in Kiev is illegitimate, undemocratic, and morally bankrupt.

May 04, 2014 8:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xcanada2 wrote:

The article states:
“However, as things stand, it would have trouble conducting the vote in many parts of the east, a circumstance that would allow Russia to declare any government emerging as bereft of legitimacy.”

It was completely clear from the beginning of the US/EU sponsored coup of the democratically elected Yanukovitch government which was largely was supported by the East, that no legitimate vote could take place in East Ukraine. There were snipers of presumably Western origin killing 80 people in Kiev. The coup was carried out because of those snipers, and with the help of very right wing Ukraine nationalists, the Right Sector, evidently inheritors of Nazi traditions. The winners in the coup openly talked about their hates for Eastern Ukrainians.

The fact that the Army has now been directed to attack Eastern Ukrainians proves the worst fears of the Eastern Ukrainians were well-founded. Fortunately, the Ukraine army, for the most part, has refused these criminal orders. The Kiev coup government, and their US/EU minders have shown that they are incapable or restoring democracy to Ukraine. If there was a democratic election, with big probability the present coup government would be kicked out, likely even brought to trial.

If US/EU wants a peaceful, united Ukraine, they can use some of their billions to remove the present government, and install a system of fair and equal representation of all Ukrainians, presumably working with the Russians. But, the West has backed itself into a corner with their incessant, juvenile demonizing of Putin and Russia.

The only reasonable chance I see for achieving peace in united Ukraine, is a Ukrainian army coup. The army is the only national group which has so far shown some modicum of respect for the people of united Ukraine. Presumably, the Ukraine army would need to work with its old partner, Russia, for strategy to restore order. Clearly US “help” (Nuland, McCain, Kerry, Brennan, CIA) is not helping. The army would then enable (at least a semblance of) democratic elections.

I don’t believe Russia wants to take over Ukraine, even Eastern Ukraine. It will probably take many hundreds, even 1000s of East Ukraine deaths, to get Russia/Putin to live up to the commitment to protect ethnically Russian and Russian-speakers. Before then, hopefully Western people will understand the disgusting mess their leaders have wrought.

May 04, 2014 9:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xcanada2 wrote:

@carlmartel: “the majority of anti-Russian comments on the Reuters website are written by al Qaeda terrorists”

Good one!

(I was wondering who these dolts were.)

May 04, 2014 9:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gentalman wrote:

Competing co.s do not tell their rate unlesers we inform them how much we pay now and current insurance company. This indicates they are inter connected to fool the buyer.For names sake they show little saving of little importance.So ultimately the buyer stick to the his/her insurance company.This is my own experience.

May 04, 2014 9:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
valwayne wrote:

Every day, in every way, Putin makes Obama look like a bigger and bigger, Weaker and Weaker, inept, incompetent Fool. Putin does as he pleases while our pathetic President makes silly idle threats that NOBODY believes. Freedom is dying folks nearly as fast as Obama is gutting our military and our national defenses.

May 04, 2014 10:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

Who is paying you xcanada, idiot. Is it that hard for you to believe that anyone but Russia and Al Qaeda could object to what is going on. We are all here speculating and commenting on what we see, hear and read, nobody here is rite or wrong because we dont know the truth and if you think you do your even more stupid than an Idiot.
@gentalman, WHAT THE!!?

May 04, 2014 10:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

@CephasKeith wrote:
All evidence suggest that President Putin has set himself a mission to reconstitute the entire Soviet Union or part of it.

So what is your concern here? The problem of the USSR was that it was an ideological state built around the Soviet Communist ideology. Now, it is clear that Russia, Ukraine and most other countries formerly comprising the USSR have given up on that Communist ideology and are not anymore ideological states. In fact, they have embraced market economy based on capitalist principles, and have extremely open economies.
Hence, it would appear to me that reconstituting a union between the former USSR countries under these conditions would be no more worrying than reconstituting a united Germany devoid of Nazi ideology of the Third Reich was 25 years ago. Which, by the way, was greatly supported by Russians (and by Putin in particular, although at that time Putin’s support was profoundly unimportant).

May 04, 2014 11:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hahahappy wrote:

Sorry bad writing. Everyone objects to what is going on. Is it so hard for you to believe that anyone but al Qaeda or Russian could support the Russia in this?

May 04, 2014 11:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xcanada2 wrote:

@Hahahappy: I take carlmartel’s reference to Al Queda to be a good joke.

Regards your: “Everyone objects to what is going on.” Absolutely!

I just happen to believe from my readings and experiences in Russia, like the East Ukrainians, that Russia is a more credible, caring country than the US. They actually gave up communism, when it was clear it was not working. I don’t see them trying to take over the world by hook or crook, as I understand we Americans are trying to do. We have a heck of a lot of fixing to do in our country, to get it up to anywhere near what I thought its principles were: maybe, similar to Russia, recognizing and rejecting our fundamentally corrupt, inhuman neoliberal system. And to have any chance for that to happen, we need to talk about it.

We don’t need to reject capitalism entirely, just subject it to the will of the 99%, not the 1%. Get the wild beast of capitalism under control. Domesticate it for the good of mankind. That’s what would happen in an informed democracy.

May 04, 2014 12:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
vp1117 wrote:

asterix117 wrote:
How dare an unelected President send troops to kill own citizens…

5 billions of “democracy” dollars spent by US on their UA project, justify this.

May 05, 2014 7:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
carlmartel wrote:

@xcanada2

I took the format of mjp1958 and put a different slant on it. I don’t agree with writers accusing each other of disloyalty because that combines the worst element, censorship, of both Communists and NAZIs to prevent American democracy from developing the best policies possible through the free and open exchange of information and ideas. If someone disagrees with me, they should be loyal to America and present a better argument with a better set of ideas.

May 05, 2014 12:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CanRus wrote:

@xcanada2
Your proposal is ridiculous. Replace a rebellion against a corrupt president with a military coup? People fight and die on the Maidan for freedom and you want them to become slaves of a real junta? Putin is already using “coup” excuse to make trouble in Ukraine, and you want to help him? You want Russian soldiers in Ukraine? That is exactly what Putin wants! He doesn’t care about Ukrainians or if many get killed. He would laugh! He doesn’t even care about Russian citizens!!! Did you ever live in Russia or Ukraine? Did you even visit these countries? From what you say, it’s obvious you know nothing about life there. Reading about a country on the Internet will tell you nothing about life there or the real people’s mentality.

As for communism, it is far from dead. Russia is maybe capitalist country now, but it is not a democracy – it is an autocracy. And Communists are still very common there. There are several Communist deputies in the Duma. Did you know that? They are still popular with many people in the Russian population (and in Ukraine too), mostly with pensioners who are a large portion of the population. The young people who are sick of Putin’s repression are all leaving, which gives him and the communists even more power. They are replaced by illegal immigants from Central Asia who are used to repression – they only want a bit of money so their families won’t starve. From 1991 until few years ago, the Communists were an opposition party. But now they switched sides and even though they’re official opposition, they openly support Putin since he began to pass more and more repressive laws in Russia. His ideology as a mix of capitalist and communist. In Western countries this is called fascist ideology. But fascist is a dirty word in Russia, because of Nazis and WWII. That is why Putin screams it continuously at his opponents, like the current government in Ukraine, to make Russians and some Ukrainians hate them. It also deflects attention from himself so Russian citizens won’t see that he is fascist. Putin is not exactly like Hitler, but he is similar in many ways. He wants Russia to have a government like Germany before WWII, with police state and government control of everything, with help from a few oligarchs who support him. The USA is bad for sure. They want to control the world. I don’t think that will happen, because now there is the EU and China. A very good thing. But Putin wants to rebuild a new Russian empire to replace the USSR. Not communist like before, but this time fascist. He wants Ukraine to be a part of that empire. If they refuse, he will destroy them.

May 06, 2014 7:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
eossipov wrote:

the people of Crimea get a huge increase in salary,for instance, a policeman for Ukraine makes maybe 20K a year, a policeman for Russia maybe 100K a year, so this is the difference that Russia will now be paying the people of Crimea since it will take on all services, in addition to pensions and retirements, they will get the same amount as any other citizen.

May 06, 2014 11:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
eossipov wrote:

Why do you think he wants the Ukraine? Crimea yes, but he doesn’t want the Ukraine, to feed them house them, deal with them, he doesn’t want any part of it, why?? He wants Crimea for Sure, Shell and the other big oil they have contracts for the black sea, but I don’t think you’re russian, I think you are a plant.

May 06, 2014 11:35am EDT  --  Report as abuse
eossipov wrote:

The communists are the old hardliners, of course they are communist, everyone who was born there before ’92 (approx) IS communist. I remember my husband thinking he has no country anymore and the change over was hard on everyone. everyone was hungry. In less than 15 years Putin has taken a old broken down dilapidating country, and made it a world leader and himself along with it. No one, not even he wants the Communist back, do you think he can’t remember? He was the head of the KGB, he’s a helluva allot smarter than any of us here.

AND SHAME ON YOU REUTERS FOR ONLY LETTING YOUR OPINION OR OBVIOUS PLANTS WRITE ON YOUR BLOG

May 06, 2014 11:39am EDT  --  Report as abuse
CanRus wrote:

@eossipov
Oh, so I’m a plant and not Russian because I said some bad things about Putin. Quite an argument! Of course ALL Russians love Putin. Well, 82% at least, according to Kremlin-controlled polls. First I never said I was Russian. Second, many Russians hate Putin – nearly all the ones I know – most are still living in Russia. Third, I see many comments here saying this mess in Ukraine is all USA/EU/NATO or Santa Claus’s fault – actually all the problems in the world are their fault – and Putin is poor innocent victim only trying to save Russia from evil Western countries. Maybe you suffer from selective vision, and can’t see all those posts, only mine and a few others? AND SCREAMING WILL NOT MAKE IT MORE TRUE!!! Try something less obviously false as argument. Everything I say is truth, from personal experience or friends/family. If you claim I’m lying, supply proof.

People in Crimea are still waiting for Putin to uphold all the promises he made. So far, he has only upheld a few. More money is good, for sure. But not only money is important in life. They are beginning to realize what mistake they made, selling their souls to a pathological liar and wannabe dictator. 100K? – dollars? Where did you get this number? For Special Forces in Russia (called mercenaries in the West), maybe. Ordinary police officer, forget it. Maybe divide that by 4 and I will believe you. But if you have official source, please share it with us. Hardly nobody earns that much in Russia. Even in Moscow which is very expensive city, that is huge salary. I know a pensioner who recieves 144K roubles per year (about 4200 dollars), and this person is an engineer! Very good salary in Moscow is 720K roubles per year (about 21K dollars) – most people earn much less. In Ukraine I’m sure ordinary police earn much less than 20K dollars per year – it’s even poorer than Russia.

I never said Putin wants to annex all of Ukraine. Probably not – too much trouble and expense – only control it would be sufficient. Like Poland during the time of USSR. And if he fails at controlling it, he’ll make it a living hell for Ukrainians to punish them.

Putin did good things for Russia during the first few years, that I agree. Though it was not only him. Many other people worked hard to rebuild Russia after the collapse of the USSR. But about 10 years ago, Putin began to change. Like Yakunovich when he decided to accept Putin’s bribe and ignore the Ukrainian people. Maybe power corrupt him, or it was his plan all along and he was only pretending to be a good leader to obtain power – only he knows what’s in his own mind. Now nearly everything he does during the past few years has been repression on the population, silence or get rid of his opponents, and drive the country to poverty and isolation. He feeds paranoia so people will see enemies everywhere attacking Russia, and not see that he is the true enemy of the Russian people. Many people see it anyway, but they are afraid. It is effectively illegal to speak publicly against the government in Russia – I assume you know that? Many are tired of this and leave. Which makes Putin happy because then there is a greater proportion of people who don’t oppose him left in the country. Of course Putin isn’t communist! And he doesn’t want to become that. I never said any such thing. He is facist! The communist politicians are only helping him now, because they have similar goals – repression and government control. This is good for Putin because the communists are popular with a large part of the population, so it boosts his popularity too.

May 07, 2014 7:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.