AT&T in talks to buy DirecTV for nearly $50 billion: sources

Charles-H wrote:

Does this mean AT&T can now offer all the NFL Games Package?

May 12, 2014 9:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bear87 wrote:

Wow, what a bummer. Now the best dish network will become the worst.

May 12, 2014 9:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bear87 wrote:

Wow, what a bummer. Now the best dish network will become the worst.

May 12, 2014 9:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bear87 wrote:

Wow, what a bummer. Now the best dish network will become the worst.

May 12, 2014 9:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GinoT wrote:

I sure hope that they leave the DirecTV unit alone. I just got settled in with my new wireless setup from DirecTV. If they treat their satellite TV business the same way they treat their cellular business, it will be a tragedy. There’s really nothing else out there that compares to DirecTV IMHO.

May 12, 2014 9:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rocque wrote:

I hope the deal gets killed by the feds. Companies are getting too big. They serve no useful purpose to the consumer – just the CEO. Prices WILL go up if this is allowed. The day they allow this deal I will cancel DirecTV. Banks are too big. Where will it end?

May 12, 2014 10:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JohnSellers wrote:

I’ll tell you what I think in this note. Here is it…

This horrific. AT&T who DEFINITELY doesn’t care about the customer is going to buy one of the better, more reasonable competitors?

Because a couple of weeks after I showed them their competitor’s price they dropped their own prices from $69+ to about $29 special offer.

AT&T is cheap around here, but I happen to believe that they are playing the “knock off” game by selling low in order to destroy competitors…who BTW use what vendor? Yes, that is right….you got it….DIRECT TV.

You just watch…once Direct TV is not selling against them for $24 a month, their prices will go up from the $29 per month rate to the $69 a month or higher rate.

May 12, 2014 11:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve wrote:

cable is in trouble. too bad, dish is too. sounds like desperation to me.

you rape your customers, it comes back to haunt you. just ask HP and there $100 printer ink cartridges.

May 12, 2014 12:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve wrote:

cable is in trouble. too bad, dish is too. sounds like desperation to me.

May 12, 2014 12:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
GreyTalon wrote:

AT&T is King of the Overcharge. Last year I sold my iPhone and went with Republic Wireless and I am saving a bundle. Just made a new contract with Directv, but may have to get out of it with AT&T calling the shots… Corporations Love all those extra monthly fees. You have to do the math and see if you really want to pay that much for a year of service.

May 13, 2014 6:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse

If it means there’s some real competition against Comcast then I’m all for it.

May 13, 2014 11:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jrj906202 wrote:

What ever happened to delivering data over power lines?We need some more competition and choices.Maybe Google will come to my neighborhood,some day.

May 13, 2014 11:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RMax304823 wrote:

Adam Smith wrote that the key to a free market was competition. He noted that the tendency of a free market was not towards competing businesses but towards mergers and acquisitions, and what he called oligarchies, that stifled competition. That seems to be what’s been happening over the last decades. (Anybody want to buy a new Studebaker?) Smith felt that some government regulation might be necessary to quell this tendency. Teddy Roosevelt agreed but many of us don’t seem to think too kindly of the idea anymore. Some of us not only disagree with Smith. We ridicule his few modern proponents.

May 13, 2014 2:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Regular wrote:

Again another unsound M&A that is going to make a lot of people loose their jobs and finally DirecTV will disappear from earth.

May 13, 2014 2:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ILoveHighTech wrote:

I had Dish TV for about 8 years then switched to HD and after that I had 8 different DVR units in 10 months!!! I went to DirecTV and I love it!!! I just cancelled my U-Verse internet because the customer service is HORRIBLE. Please leave DirecTV alone!!! I don’t want to have to go to cable TV or worse yet, DISH!!!

May 13, 2014 2:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
VernonDozier wrote:

AT&T invented satellite TV. They used to broadcast TV quite a bit, and have most of the airwave rights in the days before fiber optic cables. Look up AT&T Long Lines, you’ll see what it was like.

Then, in late 1984 timeframe, they got out of the business as part of a settlement with the Department of Justice.

It’s interesting that AT&T is getting back into TV.

May 13, 2014 3:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CEDUP wrote:

When do you think they merge with Verizon, and the phone company is all back together again? Another question is where does the current AT&T get $50 Billion, what do they actually do now? Belllab s was destroyed, they are not a long distance company, which doesn’t exist anymore actually, what is AT&T anyway?

May 18, 2014 3:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse