At big-ticket dinners, a blunt Bernanke sounds theme of low rates

GeorgeBMac wrote:

Ben is headed to become another “Fat Cat” with all those $135 dinners…

May 16, 2014 5:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

They can’t raise the interest rates without severely hurting the budget. A raise of 1% is another $250 billion a year in interest payments on our debt. That is $250 billion that can’t be spent on the military, education, roads, etc. Low interest rates are here to stay.

May 16, 2014 6:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
comitas7 wrote:

The hubris of these idiots to believe they can continue these policies indefinitely without severe consequences is only surpassed by their subservient criminality.

May 16, 2014 6:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Neurochuck wrote:

Employment and small business success probably can’t improve unless there is an increase in the spending power of the working and middle class. Just paying for necessities of food and shelter etc into computerized systems and saving for harder times is the new normal.
But the upper classes can see their asset values bubble up beautifully with cheap credit, dividend buybacks, record breaking indexes, etc.
So on it goes. Like America’s wars, actually winning would end the party, next year, making progress, yadda yadda …
“We are from the Banks, and we are here to help”

May 16, 2014 7:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jmad34 wrote:

All the easy cheep money goes directly to the top,leaving us suckers ever further behind.

May 16, 2014 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jmad34 wrote:

May 16, 2014 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SilverMfg wrote:

He is still clueless. The “print more money for the wealthy” theme continues. Working class saw an 18% increase in wholesale food 1 Qtr of 2014. Food, heat, medical and things the working-class require are going up double digits. Meanwhile the zombie class creating the disruption use freshly-printed-money for lavish parties.
The USD index is under pressure to fall dramatically, causing hardship for the 99% of Americans.

May 17, 2014 10:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tmc wrote:

He knows exactly what he is doing @SilverMfg. To think otherwise is foolish and arrogant and naïve all at the same time.
They will be rich enough to insulate themselves from the coming financial crash. In fact they will likely profit from it.

May 17, 2014 10:22am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RedRaspberry wrote:

This is very depressing.

May 17, 2014 10:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
wyldbill wrote:

“The average U.S. hedge fund has returned only 0.9 percent in the first four months of the year after two consecutive months of losses in March and April”

Oooh, my heart just bleeds for them. They are so hard done by.

May 17, 2014 11:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
wyldbill wrote:

The average U.S. hedge fund has returned only 0.9 percent in the first four months of the year after two consecutive months of losses in March and April,

May 17, 2014 11:20am EDT  --  Report as abuse

As I get older it occurs to me that the advise I was given as a child in the sixties and seventies was right on the mark. My father warned me that politicians generally don’t give a damn about anyone but themselves. His advise for investing was to follow the wealthy, as the politicians would insure that they were protected and rewarded. When I followed my fathers advise I prospered. When I strayed from his advise I wasn’t necessarily hurt but I didn’t make any money.

I will say that Mr. Bernanke looks pretty smug in the photos posted here. I suppose I would too at a quarter of a million per appearance.

May 17, 2014 5:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse