GM recalls another 2.6 million vehicles, doubles second-quarter charge

hymukyjik wrote:

This is what happens when a company that should have been allowed to go it’s grave is bailed out with tax payer money and all to fund unions that are now turning around and giving that money back to their party.

This is one of the reasons my family and I drive Japanese. Honda makes the best automobiles in the world. They last forever, are incredibly safe, cheap to repair and maintain, cheaper to fill up at the gas tank than anything ($20 thanks to GasBuddy), only cost around 25/month to insure (from Insurance Panda.. woohoo!), and are simply pleasures to drive. Would rather drive my Civic and feel safe than feel like I’ve wasted money on a Cobalt that’s about to break down.

May 20, 2014 12:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lensmanb wrote:

GM must be getting it’s design and engineering from China. Probably half the defective parts too.

May 20, 2014 12:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mikentina02 wrote:

GM is a broken company. Auto manufactoring is a broken industry. Poster child for greed corruption and government involvment. Funny that they recall a handfull of vehicles that are publicly known for their problems but turn a blind eye on the rest of their fleet. Is it only several vehicle that used the ignition switch or just that they had reported fatalities? My 2006 Grand Prix has shut off multiple times at highwayspeeds when i hit a pothole or sharp bump. It uses the identical ignition switch yet not mentioned in the recall. This same model is littering the junk yards around my area. Only time will tell but people still seem to be chimping at the bits to buy GM stock.

May 20, 2014 1:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Kahnie wrote:

I owned a 1998 Lumina. Had it for 14 years. GM quit making them @ 2000. They found that they were so good, it was not profitable enough. Same as Chrysler/Plymouth with the PT Cruiser. Ford is the only company that has continued to build a customer base in America. My next car will also be Japanese. We have a Honda now and just love it.

May 20, 2014 1:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

And still no one report everyday on Honda recalls or Toyota recalls .Toyota recalls more than 6 million vehicles – Apr. 9, 2014 Not fair reporting is it folks .. Now for other news Folks it’s who you know what really matters http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1087/1087_01.asp and that’s the absolute truth !!

May 20, 2014 1:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
John1980 wrote:

Aren’t you glad we bailed out this inept, bankrupt company. It’s good all original share holders got screwed so GM could continue to make crap cars.

May 20, 2014 1:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
beofaction wrote:

GM is a microcosm of our economy. It should have gone the capitalist way, that is down the tubes, in ’08. The market would have forced it to resurrect itself as a lean, mean, competitive company. But, alas, just like our economy our illustrious socialist leaders stepped in to save the unions who bankroll such economic imbeciles, and guess what we have? The same as we had before. A non-competitive company that, with the exception of the Corvette (because it’s almost it’s own company) produces good-looking, inferior products.

May 20, 2014 2:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

I see GM as the culmination of a culture of medicrity and a failed agenda of rewarding participation and even failure. It seems as if GM has the same mindset of many of today’s children and young adults in that they expect reward just for playing the game, no matter how poorly they play it.

Elizabeth5250 wrote:

For decades the US Auto makers have placed profits ahead of quality, safety, longevity, dependability, and the consumer. Going back to 50’s and 70’s I always heard people say something like “Hey my car has about 60,000 miles on it. I better trade it in or have to trade it for a new one as it is starting to break down and costs money to keep running.” I used to know many that traded or sold their cars every 50,000/60,000 miles. Always making the same car with different name plates like we were stupid or something. Always behind what the public was looking for instead of making what we wanted.
Now days some Japanese and German cars are not even broken in until they reach 50,000 miles. SK makes the Hyundai and revived KIA from disaster and both are now safe, dependable, and long lasting. As far as GM (Chevrolet) I am seeing the Prizism all over the place and are fairly cheap to fix. And that car was really a Toyota Corolla with a GM body. The GM part is not cheap, but the Toyota part is.

gcf1965 wrote:

Thank you Elizabeth5250, I wasn’t sure what you were trying to say, then I read it again….and again….and again…..and again….well, you get the idea I hope.

May 20, 2014 3:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carlmartel wrote:

GM has recalled 15.8 million vehicles, taken charges of $1.7 billion, has $35 million in fines, faces 13 wrongful death lawsuits, and will have an uncertain number of injury lawsuits in the first 140 days of 2014, so GM has 225 days to go. Will GM survive to the end of 2014? Should the US allow GM to survive to the end of 2014?

May 20, 2014 6:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Lilydaisy wrote:

This is just not ok. GM needs to close up shop because obviously they are making unsafe cars as a standard of their product and the American people as well as the rest of the world deserves to purchase a safe and correctly manufactured vehicle. The one time I decided to purchase an American car, a Grand Cherokee, two electric windows stopped working within months of each other! Cost to replace even one? More than $2,000!

May 20, 2014 7:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NC10T wrote:

I was just watching a YouTube documentary on the Russian Spetsnaz Army FSB ФСБ Centre. The new Spetsnaz uses Chevy dually pickup trucks in its operation. From the documentary’s excellent video, I hope GM has enough brains left to notify these, particular Russians of any problems and recalls with their nice, new Chevys. Seeing them in action, I wouldn’t want to piss them off!

But, then again, Spetsnaz might just be what GM needs to help the American owners get things fixed…(c;]

May 21, 2014 10:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NC10T wrote:

Lest we all forget what GM thought of us long ago…
An antique car restorer shows us why on:
How many died? hundreds? thousands?

May 21, 2014 10:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse