E-cigarettes boost quitting success among smokers, study finds

99rider wrote:

They worked for me where nothing else had and I tried everything from drugs to acupuncture.

May 20, 2014 7:04am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Midnight1 wrote:

E cigarettes work. E cigarettes don’t work. Regulate them like regular cigarettes. No need for regulation at all. You can smoke them anywhere. They are banned in public places! What’s up with all the BS on these?
Yet, when it comes to legal pot, it’s smoke your brains out everyone!
I guess it’s the health concerns driving all this huh? LOL

May 20, 2014 7:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
debbieg wrote:

I take it that FrankOtheMT never heard of harm reduction. It occurs to me that those with his attitude would rather see people suffer than do something to improve their health simply because they were smokers.

May 20, 2014 8:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Diction wrote:

That’s not what other studies find.

The randomized trial comparing e-cigarettes to nicotine patch finds the e-dig quit rate is poor, no better than the patch.

Longitudinal population studies show that e-cigarette use REDUCES quitting.

So West’s result are interesting. No one else gets them.

May 20, 2014 9:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
kenburk wrote:

FrankOtheMT, “Replacement does not cure addiction.” Addiction can be a very vague term. What is your definition of addiction? The medical model of addiction is tied to harm/consequences/damage. If the harm/consequences/damage is removed from nicotine use by switching from combustion of traditional tobacco products to vaporizing nicotine with an e-cigarette, then the definition of addiction does not apply. Maybe that is why the thousands of smokers that have made the transition are able to reduce the nicotine levels to zero.

May 20, 2014 10:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
clee14 wrote:

I think Frank may be in danger of a heart attack with his wonderful personality. He’s probably taking a swig or a joint break. I know several people that have stopped smoking with e cigs.

May 20, 2014 11:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BryanV wrote:

Frank,

You are wrong. What you said may be generally true in some regards, but in this specific instance it is not. I am proof of that. E-cigs offer a unique replacement that gives more opportunities to change up the habit of smoking and to even break it up completely.

I switched to e-cigs but not to quit. Not at all. I loved my nicotine. I was however having some minor chest pains and breathing issues due to smoking. I learned that these things could give me my nicotine with the sense of smoking still. I tried a few out over the course of a couple years. I still smokes regular cigs every now and then.

The e-cigs gave me my fix and did it well. I ended up quitting by accident actually. I would take my e-cig to work and use it at my desk. I used to go outside. It was routine. It was habitual. But being able to vape at my desk and get the sense of smoking made a crack in my habit. It was difficult to not go outside and to stay at my desk, but I would do it when I was busy.

Also, I never need 100% of a full cigarette and with the e-cig, I would stop when I got enough nicotine and not just smoke the whole the cig, so to speak. This caused my intake of nicotine to go down.

I started to only bring the e-cig to work and leave my normal cigs at home. Eventually I would forget to bring the e-cig. One day I realized that I didn’t even think about it nor did I care. For one day the urge didn’t get to me. It took one day to prove to me it was possible to quit.

When I craved, still used the e-cig, but the cravings died out since I was off my routine. If you stay on schedule with something, then nothing will change. You need a variable to change and with an e-cig many of them did. Enough so that my body weaned itself off of nicotine naturally.

I haven’t smoked an e-cig or a cigarette in 2 years. I never planned on quitting. I truly enjoyed the act of smoking. I enjoy not smoking even more, but I wouldn’t have realized it on my own without the aid of an e-cig.

Say what you will, but I would be buying stock in these things if I were you.

May 20, 2014 11:22am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Nupe777 wrote:

It worked for me. I smoked for 17 years. Used and e-cig for about 4 months. That was over 2 years ago.

May 20, 2014 11:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
bootch wrote:

Must explain why the anti-smoking fanatics are banning the e-ciggies too. Fewer smokers means less tobacco tax money flowing in — and THAT would be the real smoking-related tragedy.

May 20, 2014 12:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Valiantvaper wrote:

Whoever spammed this article with comments should be ashamed of themselves.
Whoever thinks that the only option for smokers is to quit or die trying is a flat out moral prohibitionist. How well has abstinence worked with sex and drugs? Wake up! Reality may be difficult to face but it’s not going to go away just because you want it to.

Someone who truly cares about others health (sometimes known as a health advocate) look for ways to *reduce harm and risk*. It’s called harm reduction. Why anyone would want smokers to continue smoking when there are viable options such as electronic cigarettes, the Nicotine patch or gum?

May 20, 2014 12:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I smoked half a pack a day for over 15 years and had my last cigarette on 12/05/13 after switching to e-cigarettes. I never thought I would be able to quit, but I did, only with the help of e-cigarettes, and of course, you’ve got to have a strong desire to want to kick the habit to make it all come together.

“Replacement does not cure addiction”

It doesn’t, but there’s no doubt it’s a lesser evil, a much lesser evil, one that will save thousands of lives from heart disease and cancer.

May 20, 2014 12:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
HarrySeaward wrote:

People are going to smoke. Saying we can wipe out smoking is like a new CEO coming in and saying we can take 100% of the market share.

Unrealistic and stupid.

May 20, 2014 12:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
HarrySeaward wrote:

Unrealistic and stupid.

May 20, 2014 12:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RnW1563 wrote:

Waiting on the e-cig tax.

May 20, 2014 12:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
agentinsure wrote:

Anything to increase my chances of quitting those stupid cigarettes – worth trying. Been wanting to quit before I die and anything is worth trying.

May 20, 2014 12:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dusty274 wrote:

I stopped smoking this year, after doing it for over 40 years. The e-cigarette is definitely what helped me quit for good this time and I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to give it a try.

May 20, 2014 12:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
billnorris wrote:

E cigs. are a drug delivery system that are easily re purposed to smoke other things.

May 20, 2014 12:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
billnorris wrote:

May 20, 2014 12:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SR37212 wrote:

I think the people complaining the most probably are the people making patches and prescribed medications that all seem to include the warning ‘may cause death’. They are most likely the travelers that seek out free alcohol on their flights and make frequent trips to Amsterdam.

May 20, 2014 1:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SargeantJoe wrote:

I personally think it up to the individual to decide what they are going to believe and what they are going to do with what they believe to be factual information.

As a non-smoker I personally don’t really care what happens with regards to studies and regulations, however I prefer e-cig users to regular smokers because for me I just don’t want to smell the cigarette smoke.

May 20, 2014 1:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xpuser wrote:

I’m not clear on when this quitting smoking thing became a primary focus of the purpose of vapes. I’m sure it’s a purpose, but not necessarily the only or main purpose.
The way I see it is, we’re dealing with control freaks. They think they’ve been given the power to control your behavior, as opposed to the reality of simply clearing work places of smoke.
So, technology advances in hardware and extraction methods now give us the ability enjoy nicotine in a way that doesn’t produce smoke and that’s still a problem?
When someone objects to this, I think it reveals their control freakness, because they are totally missing the no-smoke thing, which was the objection in the first place.
Other good examples control freakness are the bans. Every time I’ve seen a ban, the rational is that vapes confuse the control freaks. Confusion? Is this some new perverted level of political correctness – Thou shalt not confuseth thy brethren. Haters please!

May 20, 2014 1:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SYANiDE wrote:

And I can go days now without my vaporizer. E-cig, vaporizer, synonymous words for the same thing. I can smell and taste again, my clothes don’t stink, I’m overall much much happier with myself and life in general as a result. I can run again and not get winded. Switching to vaping e-juice as opposed to smoking cigarettes may not DIRECTLY CURE the addiction and slave-like dependence to cigarette smoking, but so far, it’s the only feasible path to quitting that’s actually worked and continues to work. My roommate quit smoking by vaping, he now even has quit vaping!

Most people don’t realize it, but it’s actually over 70-80% of the addiction to cigarettes comes from all of the other chemicals (some ~2000+) they put in them, not the actual nicotine. The nicotine is now a very small fraction of what is addicting, in comparison. All of those chemicals are completely unneeded in the actual cigarette manufacturing process. I would like to think the intent on putting them in there lies solely along the lines of WANTING people to be addicted. The cravings were so violent, it was an hourly slavery. Now they are completely GONE. You can’t explain that unless you give credit to the fact that vaping can be used to help facilitate beating the addiction.

May 20, 2014 1:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Zendai wrote:

Smoked for 10 years. Bought Apollo E-Cigarettes after I tried a sample during an appliance install. Purchased 10/10/13. I originally did it as a replacement to cigarettes, was sick of the sore throats and coughing up phlegm. They absolutely dealt with that. They also did something else. Changed my habit. I was no longer running outside every 1-2 hours to suck down a cigarette. Instead, I could sit at my desk puff 2-3 times on the e-cig and go on with my day. Eventually I started to forget to do it. Now I haven’t picked it back up since December, no cravings.
The concentrated nature of the e-cig solution gives you pure nicotine faster and in less pulls than you would get from burning tobacco. Also, in the US they don’t list all the other chemicals that are in your standard cigarette. Many of these chemicals, Benzene, Tar, Hydrogen Cyanide have their own addictive qualities. Since the dose of nicotine per cigarette was quite small, you would be forced to consume a higher volume of the other chemicals, while you attempted to get your fill of nicotine. Since e-cigs do not burn tobacco, and are in a concentrated solution, you receive the necessary dose of nicotine. This drops the frequency at which you use the e-cigarette and brakes the habitual mannerisms. Once the habit, and chemical dependency on everything other than nicotine is removed from the equation, dropping nicotine itself is natural.
Again, no cravings, if you are serious about saving yourself, try these, they work. I quit entirely on accident and I am loving it.

May 20, 2014 2:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Zendai wrote:

May 20, 2014 2:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mizugori wrote:

It cracks me up that so many people are against e-cigarettes/vaping. From personal experience, 100% of the people I know who switched from cigarettes to vaping have completely stopped smoking cigarettes. They all report being much healthier and feeling better.

Vaping does not deliver tar, ammonia, radiation, pesticide residue, or many of the other extremely harmful elements that cigarettes commonly do. I have yet to see a single study that proves that nicotine is any more dangerous than caffeine. I’d wager that most of the idiots crying about how e-cigarettes are still “addictive,” are themselves addicted to caffeine.

May 20, 2014 2:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bombastinator wrote:

public health opinion is not split. The real science is and always has been on the side of ecigarettes.

The split is not over science it’s over money.

The money, and quite a lot, comes from Galaxo Smith Kline and RJ Reynolds. Both see major business losses from ecigarettes. RJ Reynolds because it’s entry into the market was a disaster which was the fault of it’s corporate culture, and Galaxo Smith Kline, owner of the patch.

They are pushing legislation and running marketing campaigns to keep people from switching. That is what you are seeing as a “split”

May 20, 2014 6:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JoeSchmoe123 wrote:

I switched to eCigs 4 months ago and never felt better.
If anyone dares, check out the History Channel’s documentary about the tobacco industry and what stale, old reconstituted ammoniated radioactive garbage they sell and market to the public and kids.
Makes me feel top of the world not to be making those sociopaths rich anymore.

May 20, 2014 11:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
crunchy wrote:

I smoked for 44 years. I quit ssmoking the day I started vaping this January.

May 25, 2014 1:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse