Americans split on prisoner swap of Taliban for U.S. soldier

Comments (112)
JoeLunchBoxx wrote:

I am just so tired of the republicans politicizing everything. This would have occurred eventually under any administration. If he went AWOL or deserted, the military has their own justice system. People who have not served in the military should pipe down. If the military sees fit to jail him then fine, but if not I can accept that. Only they are qualified to make that decision.

This was not just the right move it was the only move.

Jun 06, 2014 3:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

“Asked whether they thought Bergdahl was a patriot or a traitor/deserter, 65 percent said they did not know. Only 13 percent said they viewed Bergdahl as a patriot and 22 percent saw him as a traitor/deserter.”

So 22% of Americans are so morally superior that they can judge a person’s guilt before they’re given a trial…

How much would you like to bet that those same people claim to be the defenders and upholders of the Constitution? It’s unfortunate that, when it comes to the Bill of Rights, some stop counting the amendments after they get to 2.

Jun 06, 2014 3:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
WestFlorida wrote:

How does the soldier and his family feel about it?

Jun 06, 2014 3:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Thomas269 wrote:

His unit went out multiple times to rescue him knowing he had gone AWOL, and lost a half dozen members. Now they are critics of the exchange. Why were they willing to secure his release then, at great personal cost, and not now? I think it is the Kardashian factor. They can make the news now, but could not back then.

Jun 06, 2014 3:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

“Americans split on prisoner swap..”?

They are split on almost everything – both good and bad.

Jun 06, 2014 4:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sal132837 wrote:

At no time should we negotiate with terrorists. The President of the United States over stepped his authority. We just set a precedent . Those Taliban that were released will kill Americans and any other Western civilization individuals. Shame, Shame!!!

Jun 06, 2014 4:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bravo-six wrote:

@USofRationality

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/01/was-sgt-bergdahls-release-part-of-a-plan-to-free-terrorists/

There are alot of parts at work here, I have my opinions but would demand a trial and investigation in order to resolve the issue.

Regardless, whether he deserted or was captured there should most definitely be a formal military investigation launched. Ultimately, if found guilty of desertion he must also suffer the consequences with possible charges to aiding and abedding a terrorist organization.

Furthermore, with the deliberate actions of our head of state I think he has ultimately opened the door to his own impeachment, where as with the release of these 5 detainees from Guantanamo Bay praised by the heads of Taliban(this pretty much says the obvious, there is no proof needed to speculate you have contributed to terrorism if this terrorist organization celebrates your release)

I would say that in the future if the release of the detainees results in any loss of life whatsoever that the current president would definitely be facing a serious impeachment threat or proceeding. Which in all honesty would be completely justified by his extreme disregard for national security and safety, time will tell.

Jun 06, 2014 4:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sparkyforever wrote:

How can it be the right or only move? The president was not forced into a corner and had to make a move. Right or wrong will be determined in the future. I agree the military can choose to prosecute him, but the president is in charge of the military, so he directly influences this decision. Yes, I was a military officer.
Just because people view him as a deserter, does not mean they are morally superior or they want to hang him without a trial. Get over yourself. That is just their opinion, and is no different than the 13 percent who view him as a patriot. It is just an opinion based upon their limited knowledge.
Trying to find a missing person, who could be awol is very different than voicing their opinions today. The US security was threatened by his leaving the post. Plus, the soldiers were ordered to look for him. Now, they have a personal choice and opinion on the issues associated with him leaving.

Jun 06, 2014 4:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DBMan wrote:

Another stupid polling question used to “spin” the results. Americans are not smart enough to choose from 4 alternatives. Two is all we can handle. Agree/Disagree. Support/Don’t Support.

Jun 06, 2014 4:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheWhiteLine wrote:

“Asked whether they thought Bergdahl was a patriot or a traitor/deserter, 65 percent said they did not know.”

So there IS hope for us, when a serious majority acknowledge they don’t have the facts needed to come to a conclusion. We’ll get the truth shortly, what’s the rush?

The hard right AND hard left should take notice of this – the middle is still where the ultimate votes are. Stop all of the lies and misrepresentations if you want our vote…

Jun 06, 2014 4:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeBMac wrote:

Bergdahl was taken as a prisoner of war — not a hostage.

The tradition of trading prisoners of war goes back to the origins of this country and has been done in pretty much every war it has fought in. And, without any controversy.

… So why now are the Republicans “Outraged”?
…….. Has screaming “BENGHAZI” gotten too tired?

Jun 06, 2014 4:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
psycho1473 wrote:

JoeLunchBoxx, the fact of the matter is that President Obama is making some terrible mistakes, and this is a very big one. The US has not, in the past, negotiated with terrorist organizations. This is unprecedented because now American soldiers and citizens are even more danger of being kidnapped and held for ransom. Yes in the past we have negotiated prisoner exchanges with other nations. There is a big difference, negotiating with the recognized government of a country than negotiating with terrorists. So we, citizens, Republicans, Democrats and Independent alike should voice our discontent and our disapproval of making these kinds of mistakes. President Obama seems way to eager to please other people at the expense of the American people.

Jun 06, 2014 4:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GSRyder wrote:

I trust my government completely, expecting implanted gps divices are in them somehere . I’m betting the unmanded bombers are enroute at this moment . To where ever the 5 taliban releases are currently holed up . Of course, there will be collateral damage, by those who coined the phrase .

Jun 06, 2014 4:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeRealistic wrote:

WhiteLine – I think it is not coming to a conclusion, but forming an opinion. We all do it everyday without having “all the facts”. In this case, there is ssufficient information to warrant forming an opinion, though I do not fault those who do not have one. With the media reports of prior behavior and correspondence to his family coupled with the overwhelmingly consistant facts as told by those wo knew him first hand, it is quite legitimate to form an opinion with this much information already available. Now, for a conclusion, if information comes to light we are not now aware of, these opinions can change, but so far, it seems rather likely that Bergdahl is no hero or honorable soldier.

GeorgeBMac says “Bergdahl was taken as a prisoner of war — not a hostage.” Do you have any evidence of either? Based on his reported behavior and sentiments, isn’t it possible he may not have been captured or taken hostage, but rather was affiliating of his own free will and collaborating with the enemy? On this I do not have a firm opinion, but it is a possibility I am keeping open. We are outraged for the absolute disdain obama continues to show for law and due process and his repeated poor judgement and decision making. And no, Benghazi is not tired nor forgotten, accept by the left who will stop at nothing to protect obama’s failures and destructive actions.

Jun 06, 2014 4:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Reality2Day wrote:

@ Thomas269 wrote:

His unit went out multiple times to rescue him knowing he had gone AWOL, and lost a half dozen members. Now they are critics of the exchange. Why were they willing to secure his release then, at great personal cost, and not now?

———
Because IT WAS THEIR JOB/DUTY, that’s why they searched for him! Speaking out NOW, because the confidentiality agreement they signed is null and void because Bergdahl is no longer a POW!

Jun 06, 2014 4:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

bravo-six:

The Blaze is the website Glenn Beck went to after Faux News, of all places, fired him for being such a divisive idiot. You are free to be as uninformed as you like, if that’s the kind of place you prefer to get your “information” from – but just know that it’s about as credible as two-bit tabloid. We all know how much this guy loves his conspiracy theories…

But if even his completely unsubstantiated claims are true, so what? The Guantanamo Bay prison is a shameful, embarrassing chapter in our nations history, and needs to be closed as soon as possible. For every prisoner we keep locked up there in deplorable conditions and forced to undergo “enhanced” interrogation, the mere fact of its existence is a golden recruitment tool for a hundred more terrorists-in-training.

I find it odd (and by ‘odd’, I mean ‘totally predictable’) Republicans LOVE to criticize Obama both for not keeping his promise to close the facility, AND for doing everything he can to close the facility. So it’s hard to believe anything they say. Doubly so since, as recently as last week, they were criticizing Obama for not securing Bergdahl’s release only to do an about-face and start criticizing him for securing Bergdahl’s release.

Now about those Gitmo prisoners (who were scheduled to be released in 6 months anyway) – I will completely un-shocked when we read about them being killed in drone strikes a few months from now…

Jun 06, 2014 4:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AZWarrior wrote:

It is beginning to appear very much like Bergdahl is being hidden at the Army Medical Center in Germany by the Administration. Not very good ‘optics’.

Jun 06, 2014 5:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

CIA Operative. You learn far more from your captors’ questions than you do from your captives’ answers. This was a plant job from the start. Deep cover in the Pakistan border region.

“Hey, what’s with the American in our cave?!?”

“Don’t worry, he’s just a prisoner.” :)

Jun 06, 2014 5:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

“Can Bowe Bergdahl Be Tied to 6 Lost Lives? Facts Are Murky”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html?emc=edit_th_20140604&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=58712335&_r=3

Looks like the GOP has (as per usual) grasped onto a half-truth like a rabid dog on raw meat, and started running with it before knowing the facts, simply because it pushes their narrative.

It’s despicable they way they are attempting to politicize the return of an American POW as another faux-scandal to drum up to get the impeachment they’ve been dreaming of since Election Night 2008. The man was captured under questionable circumstances, he should stand trial. But at least he’s out of Taliban hands and back in America.

Apparently, the only thing “Support the Troops” means to republicans is sticking a yellow ribbon on the back of their cars. Or maybe they should just change their motto to “Leave ALL the troops behind, if getting them back means giving credit to a democratic president!”

Jun 06, 2014 5:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PaperTrails wrote:

Why don’t we just put tracking chips on the Taliban, and send a few drones to eliminate them after such prisoner swaps?

Jun 06, 2014 5:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PaperTrails wrote:

Why didn’t the 22 percent who saw Berdahl as a traitor/deserter go fight the wars to protect our freedom themselves instead of being armchair soldiers?

Jun 06, 2014 6:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TimothyAdams wrote:

Bergdahl’s Plight Not Unusual: The Truth
Now that this Bergdahl fellow has been retrieved from Afghanistan, we’ve been besieged by talking media heads, drumming up former comrades of the serviceman with tales of anti-Americanism and a fondness for the Taliban. As a former Army service member, I have a question of my own:
“Can we please drop the hype?”
Anti-administration types and Obama critics have leaped on the bash the current administration bandwagon as the 2014 election cycle draws ever closer. Well, if we’re going to talk about the actions of this former Army soldier—let’s talk about it without the all the political posturing and media-fabricated outrage.
Let’s talk about the reality of military service.
While I was enlisted (during the Reagan administration)we didn’t have the kinds of decades-long, military adventuring that defines the “New American Century.” No, having learned the harsh lessons of our twenty-years-long defeat in Vietnam, most Americans from my generation believed we wouldn’t see another debacle like the current series of wars and “police actions” that America has engaged in this century. No, we figured after the mediocre showings of Korea and Vietnam, that most of the war hawks had learned their lesson, and that they wouldn’t be attempting to profiteer of another series of disasters like that again, at least in ours or our children’s lifetimes.
We thought wrong. The war pigs returned to Washington and kept right on running the show.
When you’re Vice President is one of the top three war contractors in the world, there’s little doubt as to why military adventures get pushed, and with our legislators being paid off like Tammany Hall hookers, it’s no surprise neither the law, nor the people matter.
As they tried telling us: “9-11 changed everything.”
No, it didn’t.
9-11 didn’t change a single jot or tittle of the U.S. Constitution. 9-11 didn’t make revocation of the Posses Comitatus act legal. 9-11 didn’t make the DHS, the TSA, the NSA, nor the NDAA legal either.
9-11 didn’t make all the armed threats by the Federal Government against the persons, liberties, and property of U.S. citizens legal either.
9-11 was a bullshit excuse that allowed a group of criminals to run amok in Washington; and none of those whose jobs it was to enforce the law against these folks lifted a finger.
After all, they were on the payroll.
But we digress. Sgt. Bergdahl’s alleged desertion is not an uncommon event, nor is it unusual for the United States to attempt to retrieve such persons, even when they do “walk off.” It is, in fact, what our government has ALWAYS DONE in such cases.
And the cases are actually rather frequent.
While I was awaiting assignment to a sensitive security posting in Europe during my enlistment, a service member defected to the then Soviet Union. It was feared that he might have given our then cold-war enemies information pertaining to thousands of communications codes and other security measures and counter-measures that were used to keep our military and government communications secret. The disruption caused us to have to revamp months worth of communications codes and other security procedures.
The United States, very quietly, eventually brought the “traitor” home. There was no grand news story about his return, nor was the disposition of his “case” ever made public. He’s most likely walking about in his hometown, going about his daily business today.
While I was stationed in the Republic of South Korea, there was an infantryman stationed on the DMZ who shot the locks of several of the security gates of the fences that ring the zone, and walked into North Korea. The U.S. made diplomatic attempts to bring this “traitor” back also, but reportedly failed.
After several months of this guy appearing on North Korean propaganda videos and the like, a body was returned across the DMZ.
We had failed to retrieve this service member, and the NK’s had used him and then put a bullet in his head.
Some would say, “good riddance,” but others would realize the failure to bring this man home as just that.
A failure to retrieve someone who became lost.
Military service, especially in a hot war in a hostile land, is not something everyone reacts to well, despite training and support of comrades.
Some folks have breakdowns when confronted with the realities of warfare—they are not necessarily “weaker” than anyone else. Perhaps they are simply unable to process the dichotomy between what we are “taught” about war, and what we really “do” in wars.
As the song said: “don’t believe the hype.”
So now Mr. Bergdahl will be processed and debriefed, investigated and perhaps prosecuted for his actions as a member of the Armed Forces while on duty overseas.
This would never have become the “scandal” (oh, that word!) it has been made into if those in the media and government had handled his case as they have so many others before him.
President Obama failed to notify Congress as required by law, evidently attempting to procure his own “Jessica Lynch,” moment.
He should have learned from what happened to the previous administration’s attempts to manufacture war heroes out of a former NFL star, and a high-school athlete from West Virginia.
The case of Sgt. Bergdahl should have been handled quietly, and out of the public eye. His guilt or innocence now will be almost impossible to discuss without bias, and no matter the final outcome of his case, many will be outraged on one side or the other.
While President Obama attempted to manufacture a war-hero, his detractors are now attempting to create a Benedict Arnold as an albatross to hang around the President’s neck.
The only people being ignored here are the actual service personnel involved, and Sgt. Bergdahl his self. Being trotted out for media propaganda is not an outpouring of concern for our service men and women—it is hucksterism at its lowest level.

Jun 06, 2014 6:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CliftonC wrote:

I put in 28 years as a military man and I think Berdahl is a deserter at least and a traitor at most. Time will tell.

Jun 06, 2014 6:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
p19 wrote:

Why not wait until Bergdahl is healthy, then the military can get his side of the story. So far we see nothing but BS and speculation on network news.

Jun 06, 2014 7:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
joamerishmp wrote:

I don’t think its a exactly split. i believe the majority of Americans agree that this is a major f up on obamas part!

Jun 06, 2014 7:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

Hahaha. Buncha cry baby republicans spitting on U.S. war veterans in the name of ‘higher justice and truth.’ Dirty hippies.

Jun 06, 2014 7:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
unionwv wrote:

“Americans are deeply divided…” – Reuters

46% to 29% isn’t so “deeply divided”, IMO.

Once again. Reuters seems determined to carry water for this administration.

Jun 06, 2014 7:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pjdxxxwa wrote:

American’s are split on most of what is happening in this country. This is what happens when people do not investigate issues and blindly follow their political party without question. That is why I claim NO party.

Jun 06, 2014 8:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pyradius wrote:

I like how people claim the 6 soldiers as if it is fact when in fact it is not.

“Mr. Bethea, the soldier who wrote the essay in The Daily Beast, said the company executive officer for the unit at Zerok believed that “the attack would not have happened had his company received its normal complement of intelligence aircraft: drones, planes, and the like. Instead, every intelligence aircraft available in theater had received new instructions: find Bergdahl. My friend blames Bergdahl for his soldiers’ deaths.”

“Military officials, speaking in recent days, have countered that additional surveillance aircraft had been brought in from other areas to help in the search, so air traffic in the region was intensified, not diminished, by the search.

Separately, context supplied by the leaked logs complicates claims that insurgents attacked the outpost because of the hunt.

Insurgents had been shooting at the outpost with escalating intensity in the preceding months. A June 24 log described a mortar attack inside its perimeter and cited intelligence that insurgents were planning a “complex ambush” of the outpost.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html?_r=0

Once again, this is why rushing to judgment simply makes you look like a fool.

Forming a condition opinion, such as “IF he did this, THEN I think this” is one thing. The way most asshats form their opinions is more like:

“Derp, I read this on the internets so it’s true and this man is a traitor and deserves to die!”

Note the difference between a rational, conditional opinion (based on incomplete info) and the typical half-cocked rush to judgment that the typical GOP sheeple gravitate toward.

Jun 06, 2014 8:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pyradius wrote:

unionwv proves the point where too many choices simply confuses people.

44% rushed to judgment against (idiots)

29% also rushed to judgment for (idiots)

27% unsure (smart or ignorant people)

Surveys like this have inherent bias because it doesn’t even filter out those who are aware of the situation, nor does it specify whether they disagree with the situation because of Bergdahl specifically OR whether they just don’t think we should EVER swap POWs.

Jun 06, 2014 8:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
nln wrote:

Americans are also deeply divided over rationality and irrationality.

As for Congress, it’d be nice if we as a people, along with our representatives, were debating why we have an extrajudicial prison system run by the executive and legislative branches, rather than Congress’ claimed judicial authority.

Jun 06, 2014 8:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Marla wrote:

I fail to understand how anyone can have a strong opinion either way at this juncture. We have very little information on which to base one, perhaps we should all just relax and wait until we actually know something about the subject.

Jun 06, 2014 9:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Prox wrote:

Regardless of the split on the deal, the law was broken by not notifying congress. Both parties agree about that. Maybe giving back the high ranking Taliban is our going away gift to Karzai.

Jun 06, 2014 9:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lkofenglish wrote:

The deal puts American soldiers currently in Afghanistan at risk.

There is no deal for Sgt Bergdahl without US Soldiers still present.

There was not just one but two assassination attempts on Hamid Karzai’s successor.

The importance of maintaining the integrity of the transfer of power is made much harder by this release.

lets see…what other “something other than insane arguments” can be made here that make this something other than “Sgt Bergdahl is such and such because he can’t defend himself.”

Jun 06, 2014 9:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
revsr wrote:

All six members of the platoon Bergdahl was assigned agreed he left voluntarily. All six agreed he needs to be court martialed. Being referred to by a Obama HUD Administrative Assistant as a bunch of psychopaths was to work in their favor, since the events happened five years ago and no one has taken them serious except those that been there, done that. Been investigated by the Pentagon as well as a private security intel outfit.

Jun 06, 2014 9:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Stanley7746 wrote:

I am just amazed at all the disinformation that is put out by the self appointed stakeholders in this conversation. The facts are not of value to those who profit from politicizing every issue. The greed to gain power at any cost does not serve America.

Jun 06, 2014 9:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Prox wrote:

Carnivalchaos: you misread my meaning. Giving them back to Karzai to deal with since he did not like how we fought the war he can fight it himself. My opinions are from being there and not any news station.

Jun 06, 2014 9:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Prox wrote:

Carnivalchaos: you misread my meaning. Giving them back to Karzai to deal with since he did not like how we fought the war he can fight it himself. My opinions are from being there and not any news station.

Jun 06, 2014 9:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cyeager wrote:

He walked off to a terrorist camp against orders. One of the FIVE terrorists has publicly announced hes ready to go back to killing Americans. The Taliban has publicly denoted they are interested in getting more POWs…
JoeLunchBoxx – If this is the only way… Your not thinking clearly.

Jun 06, 2014 9:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cyeager wrote:

He walked off to a terrorist camp against orders. One of the FIVE terrorists has publicly announced hes ready to go back to killing Americans. The Taliban has publicly denoted they are interested in getting more POWs…
JoeLunchBoxx – If this is the only way… Your not thinking clearly.

Jun 06, 2014 9:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

All you Obama and US military haters need to read this and think, if that’s even possible: http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/u-s-got-a-good-deal-with-taliban-prisoner-exchange.html/

Your hatred for this President his disabled you ability to think objectively. Everything is looked at as a means of attacking our President. US conservatives have become our country’s worst enemies. Their attitude is to ignore the will of the people and try to destroy any President that isn’t Republican.

Jun 06, 2014 9:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pyradius wrote:

Taliban != al-Qaeda. Amazing after all this time, Americans confuse the two. They also did not attack America (although the clearly harbored terrorists in their country – note ‘their’ country where they were the government).

Bush should be considered a terrorist though, after all he sent thousands of soldiers to their deaths in Iraq based on a series of lies.

It is also pretty interesting that we supplied the Taliban with weapons with which to fight the Soviet Union but that was ok back then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-fleetwood/the-taliban-is-not-al-qae_b_5455252.html?utm_hp_ref=media&ir=Media

Jun 06, 2014 10:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BarbaraRenee wrote:

Less than 700 polled, does not amount to a hill of beans. Try again, and get a larger picture. MOST Americans are not happy with this. Obama once again, violates US Constitutional LAW and gets away with it.

Jun 06, 2014 10:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

Funny, the Democrats sang a different tune when Reagan broke the law to free US soldiers in Lebanon. I guess today’s Democrats think the Democrats of the 80s were wrong for condemning Reagan. Shoot most of them would bring that up any time his name was spoken a month ago. How about now Democrats. You still saying you always bring soldiers home and Obama was right to go behind Congress’ back?

Jun 06, 2014 10:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Kofski wrote:

@sal132837. If Taliban wanted to kill American(s), Bowe Bergdahl would’ve been one and why didn’t they?
US was promising democracy to Afghanistan. Guess what? it failed.
US was suppose to bring gender equality in Afghanistan. Guess what? it failed.
US suppose to fight the drug war beside the war on terror, not only failed but the drug issue became nightmare for Asian, European and America.

Only a few chicken-hawks like McCain wants the these war to continue.
Bowe Bergdahl is not only a hero to America but to humanity.

Jun 06, 2014 10:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
yubamary wrote:

This is not a left or right position. It is a military code of Honor position. People who have not served in the military or fought will not understand.
He has to be tried by the military. If he walked away he is a deserter and it sounds like that’s exactly what he did.
Where would we be if everyone that signs up suddenly decides they don’t like what they are doing and walks off? Where is the Honor.
I believe the President should have taken a better stance in his bargaining and I feel he was reaching for something to take the place of all the VA scandals. I believe he needs to find better advisors because the one’s he has aren’t cutting it.
Today was a day to Respect and Honor the Men and Women who have honorably served and died for our freedoms.
Many of you who post seem to want to be controlled by the Government in everything that you do. That’s sad because our veterans fought for your freedom’s and you seem to want people to act like Bergdahl
and just walk away when they don’t like the situation.

Jun 06, 2014 10:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AZ1811 wrote:

American aren’t split on this issue. Only the press is. The liar-in-chief lied again and set five war criminals free for one likely deserter. WAKE UP America. This guy is ruining this country.

Jun 06, 2014 10:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Kofski wrote:

Taliban showed superiority over US.
US not only has lost the war; hearts is mind of these people we supposdly free from opprasion but caused more harm by so called war on terror.

The Taliban treated Bowe Bergdahl him fairly well comparing those whom were in detention in Abu-Garib and Gitmo, not to mention Snowden and Chealsee leaks.

Now that we look back, these war were all for Corporations; Oil Co., Military industrial Complex. These whom supported and started and expanded the war i.e Bush, Dick and Colan and Odinga with his stoges.

These politition have done nothing than making their masters rich.

Jun 06, 2014 10:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Okay, let’s see if I’ve got this straight.
Bergdahl got wasted on some killer Afghani weed and decided that it would be a great idea to saunter into the boonies and ask the Taliban “Can’t we all just get along?”
The Tallie boys thought he ewas just as cute as a speckled kid goat so they kept him and fed him table scraps.
The rest is history.

Jun 06, 2014 12:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Trichiurus wrote:

Walked off; deserted in the field; becoming sympathetic with the Taliban; trade 5 Taliban major leaders who will plot to kill/capture more Americans/others; and you wonder if this was a good deal? This administration wheels and deals with terrorists, thinking it makes things better.
And JoeLunchBoxx, it was most emphatically not the “only move”. I’m retired military bub, and this was wrong tactically and politically. This decision has no redeeming qualities.

Jun 06, 2014 12:27am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

I am divided on whether Republicans genuinely don’t know any better, or if they know they are lying but choose to do it anyway.

First, on the nonsense about Bergdahl being a deserter or AWOL. This is a GOP FoxBot lie. The US military do not say he deserted. The US military do not say he went AWOL. The US military promoted him twice *after* he went missing. The US military say one thing; the GOP FoxBots say another. The US military has no incentive to lie, but the GOP FoxBots do. They are lying and it is repulsive. They have become the most vindictive, immoral, dishonest political party on the planet.

Second, on the five released from Guantanamo. They are described by FoxBots as “the most dangerous men in the world” and other ignorant hyperbole, but this too is FoxBot lies. None of them, despite being held (without trial) for ten years, has been accused of any terrorist act against the USA or anybody else. They are ‘high ranking’ not because, as the FoxBots imagine, they were top terrorists but because they were leaders in the Afghanistan Civil War that was over long before the USA showed up. Simple common sense says that after being held (without trial) by the USA for ten years, any information they have is obsolete.

Third, the FoxBots say “they are released into the world to plot and kill Americans”, which is yet another FoxBot lie. They are transferred to Qatar where they will still be detained.

It really looks as though republicans can’t get anything right. Ever.

Jun 06, 2014 12:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
The_Traveler wrote:

rebelusa2000 posted: “Now there 5 TERRORIST PIGS, free to slaughter more people. 5 Terrorist PIGS to one American soldier. It tells me what Obama thinks our soldiers are worth.”

It tells me that President Obama considers the life of 1 American to be worth more than the lives of 5 Taliban. Is that ratio not agreeable with you? Or should be have made it 10 Taliban? Or 20? Or more …

Jun 06, 2014 12:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
taggert wrote:

I’d say 22-26% there have ever been in the military, r have given up their sanity to the rabid ideologues of the fascist republican party.

He is a soldier, ANYONE who says we shouldn’t have brought him home is not worthy of calling themselves a US citizen.

Jun 06, 2014 12:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

AZ1811 wrote:
“American aren’t split on this issue. Only the press is. The liar-in-chief lied again and set five war criminals free for one likely deserter. WAKE UP America. This guy is ruining this country.”

I know you FoxBots are saying this (Republicans all say the same thing…) – “Wah! Wah! Obama swaped five realy terrible terrorists for one deserter…” but the facts contradict your lie.

Fact: the teriible terrorist you are trying to scare everyone with never killed a single American.

Fact: the US military don’t say Bergdahl deserted or went AWOL – only Fox says that.

The reality, supported by facts, is that Obama swapped 5 Taliban military leaders who are of no further use for an American PoW. That looks reasonable. It looks a whole more reasonable than you Republicans who would leave American PoWs to die in captivity,

Look at the GOP record on supporting the US military: you send them off to wars based on lies, leave them behind if they are captured, and if they do make it through and return to the USA, you vote against an increase in their payments.

Jun 07, 2014 1:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
HymiePorker wrote:

lol

Jun 07, 2014 3:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
HymiePorker wrote:

if a liberal media agency polls its own base, then it is biased results and has no validity

Jun 07, 2014 3:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

The Reuters/Ipsos poll of 958 Americans interviewed online found that 44 percent disagreed with the statement that trading Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl was ‘the right thing to do,’ with 26 percent of them strongly disagreeing.”

Yes, well unfortunately if Mr. Obama were to say the sky is blue and water is wet, 44 of Americans polled would say they disagree, with at least 26 percent of them strongly disagreeing.
“Hatred is deaf, dumb and blind.”

Jun 07, 2014 4:17am EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

“The Reuters/Ipsos poll of 958 Americans interviewed online found that 44 percent disagreed with the statement that trading Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl was ‘the right thing to do,’ with 26 percent of them strongly disagreeing.”

Yes, well unfortunately if Mr. Obama were to say “the sky is blue” and “water is wet”, 44 percent of Americans polled would say they disagree, with at least 26 percent of them strongly disagreeing.

Hatred is deaf, dumb and blind.

Jun 07, 2014 4:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

In 2011, Israel released more than 1,000 Palestinian militants in exchange for one Israeli corporal.

The Israelis have made trades with all sorts of sworn enemies, including groups labeled “terrorists”, such as Hezbollah and Hamas. It has traded hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned for killing Israeli civilians.

Over the past three decades, Israel has released about 8,000 detainees in exchange for their own soldiers and others.

Some examples, from Reuters:

May 1985 — Israel releases 1,150 Arab prisoners in exchange for three Israel Defense Forces soldiers held by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command. The deal took almost nine months to negotiate.

June-July 1985 — Israel frees 331 Lebanese Shiite detainees. Shiite leaders say the detainees’ freedom was guaranteed in exchange for the return of 39 foreign passengers hijacked on an American TWA airliner to Beirut. Israel denies a connection.

July 1996 — Hezbollah and Israel carry out a German-brokered swap in which the bodies of 123 terrorists are returned to Lebanon in exchange for the remains of two IDF soldiers.

Jun 07, 2014 5:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse

I’m glad I’m not the only one who smells a dirty fart here.
Can’t move him from Germany (our European Home base) because he’s too unhealthy and that’s why the swap for 5(!) other “high-ranking Taliban officials”??
But he’s okay and improving daily but decided to NOT call home?
Does ANYBODY REALLY believe he wasn’t a spy?
What did Obama get out of this in Afghanistan?
WTF are we doing there again?
Oh yea, it’s the Billionaires in tech who want this war for the rock in the ground for LCD’s.
Don’t forget too soon; Bush’s war was for the oil(IRAQ)
which is BEING SHIPPED TO CHINA.
Don’t believe me??
Ever heard of ONE DROP reaching us?
But that’s okay — Iraq is a success like Afghanistan.

Jun 07, 2014 5:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse

I’m glad I’m not the only one who smells a dirty fart here.
Can’t move him from Germany (our European Home base) because he’s too unhealthy and that’s why the swap for 5(!) other “high-ranking Taliban officials”??
But he’s okay and improving daily but decided to NOT call home?
Does ANYBODY REALLY believe he wasn’t a spy?
What did Obama get out of this in Afghanistan?
WTF are we doing there again?
Oh yea, it’s the Billionaires in tech who want this war for the rock in the ground for LCD’s.
Don’t forget too soon; Bush’s war was for the oil(IRAQ)
which is BEING SHIPPED TO CHINA.
Don’t believe me??
Ever heard of ONE DROP reaching us?
But that’s okay — Iraq is a success like Afghanistan.

Jun 07, 2014 5:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sgt.Slaughter wrote:

It was a very foolish trade, in time those Taliban commanders will wage jihad on American soil, remember 9/11? Bergdahl will more than likely face a military court martial for desertion and given a dishonorable discharge.

Jun 07, 2014 5:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
GeoThermal wrote:

The poll also showed that half of all Americans are idiots.

Jun 07, 2014 5:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
n_s_j wrote:

I think a step towards CLOSING Guantanamo Bay.

Jun 07, 2014 6:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

@Billin Savannah

Given the disgusting behaviour from the GOP, I am not at all surprised that Bergdahl is in no rush to return the the USA. Why would he want to return, knowing that he would have to face all the hate and lies from Republicans?

Jun 07, 2014 6:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
p65494 wrote:

President Obama is the armed services Commander
in Chief. He made a fine decision to bring a soldier
home. Another task accomplished by the White House.
Bush and Cheney are responsible for the deaths of
over 4,000 US military people in Iraq. Let’s open
that issue again and lay off the President when
he saves a life.

Jun 07, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Prairiefire wrote:

Let see it was late 50′s early 60′s that Republican President Eisenhower swapped a spy for spy to get back U2 pilot Gary Powers… Same thing… Repubs quite your whining…

Jun 07, 2014 7:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
expat75 wrote:

Politically motivated by the Republican party in their six year war against Obama. After all, how do you explain the other side of the coin where America is still trying to find missing bodies of American troops in Iraq, Vietnam etc., with no political fallout?

Jun 07, 2014 7:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tpvero wrote:

The divide is more about people who can not bring themselves to accept an African American president and have fought everything he has done. Bush was asleep on the job, and let the country be attacked, caused two wars, and took away our rights, put people in a concentration camp, gave 800 billion dollars to rich bankers hours before he went out of office and they said nothing.

We have one of our own back from captivity, troubled though he might be, he will still be a world of information regarding his captors. There is huge value in this! Aside from that, one of our boys is back and that is a good thing. Do not denigrate the young man because you have a problem with the president.

Jun 07, 2014 7:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tpvero wrote:

The divide is more about people who can not bring themselves to accept an African American president and have fought everything he has done. Bush was asleep on the job, and let the country be attacked, caused two wars, and took away our rights, put people in a concentration camp, gave 800 billion dollars to rich bankers hours before he went out of office and they said nothing.

We have one of our own back from captivity, troubled though he might be, he will still be a world of information regarding his captors. There is huge value in this! Aside from that, one of our boys is back and that is a good thing. Do not denigrate the young man because you have a problem with the president.

Jun 07, 2014 7:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tpvero wrote:

The divide is more about people who can not bring themselves to accept an African American president and have fought everything he has done. Bush was asleep on the job, and let the country be attacked, caused two wars, and took away our rights, put people in a concentration camp, gave 800 billion dollars to rich bankers hours before he went out of office and they said nothing.

We have one of our own back from captivity, troubled though he might be, he will still be a world of information regarding his captors. There is huge value in this! Aside from that, one of our boys is back and that is a good thing. Do not denigrate the young man because you have a problem with the president.

Jun 07, 2014 7:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
op36a wrote:

Deeply divided?

Only Obama lemmings, who get their news from his praetorian media, think it was the right thing.

Ooops, I forgot. The Taliban and the 5 swapped hard core terrorists think it was a great idea.

Jun 07, 2014 9:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Bakhtin wrote:

op36a

Hard core terrorists?

Do you have some facts to back that up, or are you just repeating something you heard on Fox?

Jun 07, 2014 9:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RabbitNexus wrote:

So many hung ho types blathering on about terrorists and traitors. You need an education.
The Taliban were the Afghani government, and neither sectarian nor particularly brutal for the area and culture for those who know the facts. They were not and never were terrorists, except to the extent they cooperated with the CIA in regards to al-Qaeda and Bin Laden both of whom are CIA creations and assets. The terrorists in Afghanistan are in fact the US and other Western troops (including our diggers from Oz) and as such Bergdahl is far from a traitor also, he is one of he few who may not be called a terrorist by history.

Jun 07, 2014 10:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sjfella wrote:

One traitor trades another traitor for 4 terrorists. That’d be laughable if it weren’t so dang serious.

Jun 07, 2014 10:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

I get so sick and tired of rightwing fanaticism. You people are so far off from mainstream. You’re pushing us toward another war between the states. It was stupid the first time and it’s still stupid. The only thing you can hope to accomplish is the division and destruction of the United States. You may or may not accomplishing that, but dam you all for trying.

I read recently about gun fanatics who were insisting on carrying their guns into fast food restaurants. Stupid rightwingers who care little for the rights of others. Normal intelligent people don’t want to go to Burger King and have a guy walk up behind them toting an AK47, leaving the normal intelligent guy standing there hoping the gunman isn’t about to wipe out the restaurant. You people are spinning out of control. Fortunately, several fast food restaurants made it illegal to openly carry guns onto their premises. https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+people+carrying+guns+into+fast+food+restaurants&client=firefox-a&hs=r4J&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fiyTU-f3E86cyATElYKIBg&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=763

Jun 07, 2014 11:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ArghONaught wrote:

Armchair pundits have opinions on everything, regardless of whether they have information to base their opinions on; the less information the stronger their opinions and often the louder their voices.

Is it any wonder we live in a violent society?

Jun 07, 2014 11:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Art16 wrote:

Politics? This has nothing to do with politics. Bergdahl is nothing more than a convenient tear jerk distraction from the really awful decision about Obama’s Victory Garden of Taliban Dragon’s Teeth.

Five short years ago this inept administration was targeting Veterans as domestic terrorist suspects, and now they let real down to earth professional terrorists go back into the world to kill and destroy, us included. It cannot make sense because there is no sense to it.

Obama’s Victory Garden of Taliban Dragon’s Teeth, now five having been sown and a sixth is on the way, is the worst possible decision anyone could make. Give time to germinate, and those Taliban Dragon’s teeth will sprout and army of hate.

Bergdahl will fade into the media black hole.

Jun 07, 2014 11:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
chuck2 wrote:

The “poll” did not ask “if it was your family member”, the poll did not ask {“Do you know the reality of the five traded off, or the fact the AFG government wanted at least one released, one was a used car salesmen, etc. Seems the facts on the “dangerous five” was more of a USA right/pol issue then facts. Did poll ask, what proof is there he deserted, also have to be gone 30 days to be deserter, not one, then POW. Poll did not ask if it was right for elected to call him traitor. What was a good alternative to the trade off, did elected KNOW, as did McCaiin/others, who went along with trade off not to far back, Poll did not ask if polled were combat vets, nor did it ask if we should have left him there. Poll did not ask what HARD facts the polled had used for decision. The Poll did not ask if they through five years POW had sertious mental implications. Poll did NOT ask if polled were aware of how military briefs their people on what they should do when captured (note is not play “John Wayne” tyoe). The Poll did not ask political leaning, the Poll did not ask if nay were ashamed of beating up on USA POW without any facts, and were they embarrassed that his home town canceled “Welcome home” for a POW as they were cowered in canceling by big mouth thugs/bullies.

The POLL did not ask, with the hate for this guy coordinated via FOX etc, and right, aren’t you a wee bit ashamed, did you ever think you would see 20 year old kid, now a five year POW abused by thugs and used for right wing haters, then same, politicized by elected?

Kind of sounds like “Swift Boaters” funded by wealthy right wind Texan, who took out Kerry’s Silver Star,made no-show ANG Bush a hero. They later proved to be lairs all, but only after election. same with phony media event’s “rescues, WMD’s,blamed SH for 911, etc. Seems extreme right owns the lies and hate, so attacks by FOX and other thugs, right wing elected, as they propagandize well, is not surprise as O under attack daily by them. But this abuse of a POW via rumors, more then a little broadcast sensationalism as we can expect from our “Entertainment Div Media”, and dumbed down public, trained like the good Doc’s dogs to drool over every attack on O, and now this new low, but is disgusting, a insult to all vets. Where is the VFW, Am Legion and other flag wavers for right, or Irag-AFG vets orgs, with no backbone, cowered by rumors like way to many sunshine patriots? A sad day for a once great nation, abuse a POW, we now know how low we can go. .

Jun 07, 2014 12:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kenezen wrote:

Offense should be taken by both Parties when a president breaks laws then act “Arrogant” in his explanation as to why he flagrantly broke a law! Senator Diane Feinstein(D) is one of the most respected Senators. She Heads an extremely important Senate Intelligence Committee that oversees the safety of our Nation. President Obama in doing this deal with the Gitmo prisoners and our good Sgt was responsible by Law to to inform that special committee before acting. His response when asked was I did not have time. (That would have taken 30 seconds) Then thinking, he also said I was afraid of leaks. This is Arrogant and demeaning to Senator Feinstein. His features as he said these words portrayed arrogance. It brings a new meaning and dangerous one to his past words of: “I will do everything I can without the Congress.” One did not imagine that he would purposefully break Laws and ignore his own members.

Jun 07, 2014 1:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
chuck2 wrote:

I would expect those coming down on this five year POW, with their total lack of facts are same that buy into “swift boaters (later proved liars hired by rich TXn), do not think we have global warming, know tax cuts (more) for upper end will create USA jobs, think it is great to disenfranchise voters via new registration rules, will not support gay marriage, want more pipelines/toll roads taking citizen land via Eminent Domain, beleive we have a great productive Congress, support MORE secret money for election via “money does not cooperate” and if drafted to fight would dampen the floor and their pampers for days. Seems they are neither brightest nor best of USA, but make great political fodder to attack a USA POW and even worse, terrorized a small ID town so badly they fear to welcome how their POW, and slam his Dad for having a “Taliban like beard”. Pretty good odds, they support holding POW’s or what ever new name Cheney/Rumsfeld/Chicken Hawks dreamed up, for more then a decade with NO charges, torture and then warn us “the released hate USA”, wonder why?
Yep, the right wing parrots/droids, FOX, right wing pols who find no issue in attacking a POW, most of them never served in any uniform or nation, no doubt have photo of ANG Hero Bush and none of cowardly Silver Star NAM combatant Kerry in room, worship the Swift Boaters lies and now find one more way to attack O< even if it costs nation it’s dignity to terrorize small town and a POW’s return, How low with they go, it seems limitless. We can only wonder how the Taliban and world see this bunch of fools and thugs, our homeland terrorists.

Jun 07, 2014 1:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
chuck2 wrote:

Art16 wrote:

Politics? This has nothing to do with politics. Bergdahl is nothing more than a convenient tear jerk distraction from the really awful decision about Obama’s Victory Garden of Taliban Dragon’s Teeth.

Yep for your ilk a POW is simply nothing. Hating O is the really big deal. Vets/military everywhere should be proud of you, why not sgin you name so we can all be proud to know a real patriot. You do know one of “GIMTO five” was used car salesman, detained by CIA for not getting data they wanted, another was moderate who even AFG gov wanted released as he was useful in negotiations, but then uber patriots like you would not be to concerned for facts, just hate

Jun 07, 2014 1:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
chuck2 wrote:

You know by the smell of hate in many of the posts and nearly total lack of military or combat, we need to bring back a “no deferment for any reason draft”, let these sunshine patriots get off moms lab and server a bit. Pretty good odds with a bit of priming their hero political, FOX and other could find a way to get another war going so they could get a bit of reality, they desperately need.100-1 odds would be huge “anti war” protests etc after first draft and shots fired, as most are of that ilk, rear rank flag wavers from on the over pass as the troops leave.

Jun 07, 2014 1:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PaulBradley wrote:

Why don’t you consider just a few FACTS instead of trying to politicize the whole event or as an excuse to ‘crucify’ our President, the Commander in Chief!!!

Fact one – Bergdahl was found missing from his post;
Fact two – Bergdahl was held in enemy captivity;
Fact three – Bergdahl’s disappearance from his post was investigated by the Army;
Fact four – The Army promoted Bergdahl TWICE since its investigation to his disappearance, surfacing later as ‘POW’ . . . .

Jun 07, 2014 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PaulBradley wrote:

Why don’t you consider just a few FACTS instead of trying to politicize the whole event or as an excuse to ‘crucify’ our President, the Commander in Chief!!!

Fact one – Bergdahl was found missing from his post;
Fact two – Bergdahl was held in enemy captivity;
Fact three – Bergdahl’s disappearance from his post was investigated by the Army;
Fact four – The Army promoted Bergdahl TWICE since its investigation to his disappearance, surfacing later as ‘POW’ . . . .

Jun 07, 2014 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

ready2013: Right, I made it all up. I even got the mainstream media to go along with it. Cost me a bundle. The pictures I posted a link to was the really challenging part. It was hard to find people willing to let me snap a photo of them in these public places holding these fake guns. Pretty real looking, don’t you think? I had my models dress down to make themselves look like ignorant hicks, the kind you might look up to. But you saw through it. You’re brilliant, ready2013. And man isn’t contributing to climate change, nor does cigarette smoking contribute to an increased risk of cancer.

Jun 07, 2014 4:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

chuck2: Excellent posts. Thank God not all Americans have lost their marbles. Forget the war on terror. We’ve got a war on hate.

Jun 07, 2014 4:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Calstan1 wrote:

The US has developed miniaturized, virtually undetectable GPS devices that can be ingested by or surgically implanted in human beings. Perhaps the prisoner exchange has gifted the Taliban with five of these devices to help us improve the effectiveness of drone strikes.

Jun 07, 2014 4:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ready2013 wrote:

Carny and Chuck2…just because someone disagrees w/ you doesn’t mean they are filled with hatred…maybe you are just perceiving it or paranoid that others hate you…just as you are paranoid someone is going to blow the place apart with an AK47…as I stated, I haven’t seen one in public yet….but yes, there are exceptions to most everything…but that does not mean it is rampant. many a fight has begun because of suspicion, perception and paranoia when reality does not justify it.

Jun 07, 2014 4:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ready2013 wrote:

carnivalchaos, its not hatred your up against. its fear that there are those who are taking away their rights…the right to work harder to get ahead (to have a better life without being classified as greedy), the right to own a weapon, the right to go to school where one chooses, the right to buy a better insurance program, the right to worship or not to worship, the right to choose who you live next door to, the right to expect others to be held accountable for their actions, the right to question others without being classified as a hater of Americans and the military….

those that fear that someone classifies them as haters, and thus, may feel the need to defend themselves from those who are attacking them. Those who fear that the ones calling other haters are actually the ones who hate and must be stopped.

Jun 07, 2014 5:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Reality2Day wrote:

@ TheNewWorld wrote:

“Your hatred for this President his disabled you ability to think objectively.

——–
I thought Obama would be a good Prez, as a none American and believe they represent freedom, he is LAME, MISGUIDED and PLAIN BAD and the WORST PRESIDENT in more than 100 years.

Jun 07, 2014 6:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

ready2013: You call me paranoid because I don’t like the idea of someone walking into a McDonalds toting an assault rifle while I’m trying to order a hamburger and then you go off on a rant about how someone’s trying to take away all your rights. Who the f__ is trying to take away all your rights? Tell us specifically who’s trying to take away your right to choose who you can live next door to? Who’s ending your right to work harder and get ahead? Be specific. Sorry, man, but you sound crazy. Talk about paranoia.

And I repeat, normal intelligent people don’t want to see someone walking into a fast food restaurant with an assault rifle, or a gun of any kind. That’s not paranoia. That’s natural, intelligent fear of death. It leaves you depending on luck that this stranger with a gun isn’t going to use it. Why should I assume that? I wouldn’t know the guy. (Nor would I want to.)

My “paranoia” is concrete, and I gave you specific examples, complete with photos. Your paranoia is vague and lacks specifics. So, again, who’s telling you who you can or can’t live next door to or tell you you’re not allowed to work hard to get ahead, or that you can’t drop your insurance and buy a better policy?

Jun 07, 2014 6:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

Reality2Day: You’re not making sense. For one thing, that was my quote. TheNewWorld was using it to show us how little he knows. The rest makes you sound a bit spastic: “I thought Obama would be a good Prez, as a none American and believe they represent freedom…”
What does that mean? Do you mean a non-American? Do you mean that Obama isn’t an American or are you saying that you aren’t an American? Who believes who represents freedom? Sober up and try again later.

Jun 07, 2014 7:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ready2013 wrote:

Carny, all any intelligent person needs to do is read your posts to realize where the division in this country begins…folks like you. the tone of your post is not a peaceful spirit.

Photos…as i stated, i don’t see these weapons in the restaurants and wal marts. i am sure they show up some where but not as frequently as you folks make it out to be.

also, most intelligent person would fear death from any means, car accident, heart attack, cancer, knife, gun, etc. But they don’t live in fear of these, but try to be alert, conscientious of the consequences of their own lifestyle that increases the possibility of these.

your right, these liberties/rights are not gone, but being threatened with each administration (demo or repo).

who is trying to take them away, you.

asteroids are out there, everywhere. there are plenty of photos of them, are you afraid of them?

Jun 07, 2014 9:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thinker72 wrote:

how much does being a troll pay these days? Obviously enough.

Jun 07, 2014 10:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
The_Traveler wrote:

carnivalchaos posted: “I get so sick and tired of rightwing fanaticism. You people are so far off from mainstream.”

As Pogo lamented: “We have met the enemy, and he is us.”

Jun 07, 2014 10:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ready2013 wrote:

carny…you are absolutely right…the fears I mentioned are meaningless…they have not been realized, but some rights are chipped away indirectly. I mentioned them because they are absurd as your fear of getting blown away.
But, If you are a landlord there are limitations on who you can “turn down”. People cannot just choose which (public) school to send their children. Taxing folks who make a higher salary prevents them for realizing the full benefits from working harder (I have had experience of making more, but bringing home less), or individuals loosing the policy they had because of the healthcare act…

maybe you should read your own posts…”GUN CONTROL”…do you believe all Americans should have the right to own a firearm and carry it with them? would you vote for a politician that wants to limit the purchase of firearms?

i apologize for the rambling, heading to south east to Georgia…i guess i should not stop to eat at a Burger King.

Jun 08, 2014 1:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

ready2013: That’s a pretty pitiful response. The only thing accurate about it is this line: “the tone of your post is not a peaceful spirit.” No, the tone of my post is not a peaceful spirit. I’m angry that folks like you are dividing this country and supporting the undermining of our democracy (that’s small case “d”. Hopefully that doesn’t need any further explanation.)

The photos are legit. You say you are sure they don’t show up as much as “you folks make it out to be.” I don’t know what the heck that means. I’m not making it out to be anything besides what it actually is. Frankly, once is too much, but this was happening enough to make 7 different restaurant chains ban carrying weapons openly onto their premises. So it’s not what anyone’s making it out to be. It’s what IS.

Your 3rd paragraph says nothing. Sorry, but it’s stupid. I’m not sure what you’re even saying, but it doesn’t address my point about how an intelligent person standing in line at a fast food restaurant should not have to worry about someone coming in there carrying a gun. The point I made was that we have the right not to have to worry about being shot in the back by some gun toting nut in McDonald’s. In other words, in the US (as in the rest of the civilized world) a person should be able to take his family to a restaurant without having to see some insecure gun nut walk in with his assault rifle, leaving the family clinging to the hope that the gunman is friendly. Anyway, apparently there are at least 7 restaurant chains that agree with me. Even the NRA agrees with me.

You named all these rights you’re afraid are being taken away. I asked you to be more specific, but you failed to do it. And, no, I’m not trying to stop you from being able to live next to whomever you want. I could care less who you live next door to. Where’d you even get such a crazy fear? I’m not trying to take away any of your rights, but I am trying to protect people from guns. Every other developed country does better at this than the US and we pay for it with gun violence.

Your point about asteroids doesn’t make any sense either. It’s gibberish. There’s just too many like yourself on the right who can’t think rationally, nor do they even want to. Rational thought would get in the way of too much of the rightwing agenda.

Jun 08, 2014 1:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ready2013 wrote:

carnivalchaos, you are correct, in my haste to travel I rambled and didn’t put the thoughts together.

yes there may be photos of gun carrying nuts. but I don’t see this and I travel a lot – all over the country and the world – even in the south east. yes, if someone with an automatic weapon entered a wal mart I would be looking to escape, but would be more comfortable if I or someone else was carrying a gun also. the “bad guys” will get their gun or bring a weapon into the store regardless of the law or rule of the store.

I am still surprised that restaurants or other business openly advertise no one can defend themselves in their business. But on the other hand, there are gun carrying nuts (not necessarily those who would blow the place apart) that will carry guns in public to make a point. how many times have you seen an individual carrying a automatic weapon into a burger king? I believe the increased interest in carrying and owning guns is a response to left’s fears and push to control them.

yes the fears i mentioned are not “real” in the sense that everyone needs to worry about them. but they are experienced indirectly by some by law or legislation that prevents a fully open market place. but again I am not saying government regulation is not needed.

the asteroid example is only for those with an imagination to think. it deals with probabilities. the probability of the gun incident is relatively low – but higher than a major asteroid incident. listening to the liberal stations, I can see why people think like you, that my life is imminently in danger to some redneck carrying a gun. that is not true at all. due to my travels and where I have lived, it’s not the redneck that’s the problem.

fyi, it appears I am on the right because many are on the far left. yet I choose to defend their views (some but not all shared by me) because there are those like you that attack them verbally, calling them names, appearing to hate them and get rid of them because you cannot understand them – nor do they understand your. from your posts it would appear that you are the one with hatred, but I don’t know your true mind and heart. the murder problem is a result of culture, the justice systems, and not due to relaxed gun laws. I am in favor of many of the ideals of the left. but I do not support their methods of implementation…

I really do appreciate your comments. it will be a while before I can respond…thus take every shot (not with the automatic weapon) you want, I will not have the opportunity to respond.

Jun 08, 2014 9:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Shanghai-Road wrote:

Some people apparently think America should outsource American justice to the Taliban.

In the case of Bergdahl, simply leave him in Afghanistan and the Taliban will take care of him with their own form of JUSTICE!

A beheading perhaps.

Jun 08, 2014 6:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.