Anchor Diane Sawyer to step down from 'ABC World News' show

Billyz wrote:

Finally!!!!!!!

Jun 25, 2014 11:01am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jbeech wrote:

I won’t miss Diane Sawyer at all. In fact, it’s because of her I switched from ABC to CBS. This, despite having watched ABC’s evening broadcast for more than 35 years – I guess this placed me squarely within the demographic, which watches evening news, eh?

Moreover, I’d have greatly preferred George Stephanopoulos to David Muir for the anchor job because I trust him. For example, on Sunday mornings when he doesn’t host This Week, I turn off the television and get my day started rather than watch one of his substitutes. While I’m happy for Mr. Muir, I’ll stick with Scott Pelley.

Jun 25, 2014 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AnnonReuters wrote:

Watch PBS news instead. It gives you great analysis and it’s also a lot less dramatic. ABC news is a nightly train wreck in my opinion.

Jun 25, 2014 1:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AnnonReuters wrote:

Jun 25, 2014 1:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
birder wrote:

Of the news programs this one was by far the worse. I don’t how much fault it was of Ms Sawyer, but hopefully things will improve. None of the network news programs are really very good though. They are mostly fluff programs and drug adds with a tiny bit of real news thrown in on the margins.

Jun 25, 2014 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Nikos_Retsos wrote:

I am glad Diane is leaving. Her time has come with age, and David Muir has proven that he is a superior new breed of journalist with his own style and fabulous personality. I have never seen the value of either Barbara Walters or Diane Sawyer because as an older person I had noticed that they they were both imitators of the famous Italian Journalist Oriana Fallachi, who also attained global notoriety interviewing Ayatollah Khomeni, the leader if the 1979 Iranian Revolution, with a flair to put him on the spot. Afterward, many journalists imitated Fallachi, along with Walters and Sawyer. Both were not original, but impressed newer viewers in the states who did not know Fallachi. For older viewers, especially those following the international events closely, both Walters and Sawyer occupied a niche between Oriana Fallachi and Phil Donahue.

David Muir is an excellent reporter, and as good as Charles Gibson, but with a more vibrant style, whereas Gibson has a laid back personality. I have been a watcher of ABC Evening news for a decade, and I liked the late Peter Jennings and his successor Charles Gibson because they were originals. Having watched David Muir for about a year as Sawyer’s substitute, I have no doubt that he is an original. I am sure he would continue brilliantly the legacy of both Jennings and Gibson. Nikos Retsos, retired professor, chicago

Jun 25, 2014 2:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
eliseg wrote:

I am ecstatic about David Muir replacing Diane Sawyer, the latter of whom has dumbed down and sensationalized the ABC World News for much too long. Ms. Sawyer never rid herself of the pedestrian role of trivial morning news reporting.

On the other hand, David Muir, in my opinion, is serious, intelligent, sympathetic and professional. The only time that I have tuned in to World News during the week is when he has been substituting for Diane Sawyer.

I think that he is an excellent choice for the anchor position.

Jun 25, 2014 3:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
eliseg wrote:

I think that he is an excellent choice for the anchor position.

Jun 25, 2014 3:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mary1234 wrote:

ABC as news is a joke!

Jun 25, 2014 6:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Simplerman wrote:

Again, who cares??

Jun 25, 2014 7:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

Oh good grief. I can’t stand David Muir. Watching him do the ABC National News is like watching one of ABC’s fluffy entertainment magazine shows.

This was as predictable as that the sun will rise in the East, when Disney became parent company of ABC.
Expect to see more and more of the 1/2-hour ABC national news dedicated to promoting Disney movies and ABC entertainment programming.

The American people are being very poorly served by the News divisions of the networks which are entrusted with the public airwaves which we, the American people own!

Jun 25, 2014 7:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
arbitus wrote:

No longer have to run for the remote when the news comes on ABC. At last, the end of bimbo journalism.

Jun 25, 2014 10:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse