Would you rather sit and think or get shocked? You'd be surprised

Shary wrote:

Ah, the wonders of extroversion.
I’ll take the quiet, uninterrupted, solitary any day and for far more than mere 15 minutes stretches.

Jul 04, 2014 11:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Robertla wrote:

ok……so, they didn’t test any people who practice meditation.

Jul 06, 2014 12:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
epockismet wrote:

For a scientist in psychology it seems easy to ignore societal stresses that encourage compulsive behavior when a person is met with a situation they cannot fix alone, as their life and society becomes more of these days. Even when people live lives away from this “stress”, the media reinforces this collective stress, making it more likely the majority would try to not think unless they had time to prepare. People don’t really have much experience understanding why they take the actions they do. Those who do might think that it is obvious that people don’t just occupy themselves with their thoughts, or even clearing their thoughts, on command. So what in their lives stops them from obtaining that ability? Having so many people show these symptoms is troubling to me.

Jul 06, 2014 2:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
epockismet wrote:

Jul 06, 2014 2:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

this just in: a great many Murkans are not introspective! oh duh!

why do you think ‘the Simpsons’ are found to be humourous?

Jul 06, 2014 3:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Twain wrote:

Only 15 minutes?

You obviously didn’t get the right people (introverts who are running the world silently anyways).

Jul 06, 2014 8:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
adamrussell wrote:

This is nothing new. People dont like to be bored. If all it took to not be bored was to think of something to think about then there would not be such a thing as boredom. Its always been the same as it is now. Has nothing to do with gadgets.

Jul 06, 2014 10:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
adamrussell wrote:

Jul 06, 2014 10:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
alloleo wrote:

Robertla:

I thought that meditation was about not thinking?

Jul 06, 2014 12:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
indigojoe wrote:

I totally relate to the test subjects and I’m an introvert. But even introverts have their breaking point. How much me time is too much me time?
I work night shift running a digital printing press, alone in the “digital room” for 10hrs a night. Alone with just my thoughts for 40hrs a week.
I think about the past and the future. The bad times and the good times. Why the bad times happened and why the good times happened. Mistakes Ive made and what I could of done differently. Successes Ive had and what I did right. What my goals are and how to achieve them. What I want out of life, what I don’t want out of life.

It might sound OK but but after a couple of days you realize thinking something through doesn’t amount to squat, only action does. And then I start pacing the floor. I’m texting people and their like this guy is losing it. Its hard to keep positive thoughts when all you have are your own thoughts. It’s not healthy. I’m self-centered, self-absorbed and my world revolves around me. Because I live in my head for 40hrs a week. I haven’t even been there a year. I tell the day shift people how awful it is and they don’t believe me. They think I’ve got it made.

Jul 07, 2014 4:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse