Former New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years in corruption case

diluded001 wrote:

Catching a dirty politician in Louisiana is like catching fish in a barrel. I wish prosecutors would go after politicians at the federal level like this. If a politician realizes a material benefit in the form of campaign contributions, then votes to provide a material benefit to the contributor, they belong in a cell next to Nagin.

Jul 09, 2014 11:38am EDT  --  Report as abuse
willich6 wrote:

This is the guy bragging after Katrina that he was going to re-make New Orleans as a “chocolate city”.. Glad they caught him and glad he’s going away for a long time….

Jul 09, 2014 11:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
nose2066 wrote:

So if it wasn’t for Hurricane Katrina, Nagin would still be holding the job as mayor of New Orleans?

Things have to get much worse before they get better? Is that the take-away from this news?

Jul 09, 2014 12:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Stickystones wrote:

He should be happy he only got prosecuted for corruption! He should have been prosecuted for allowing Katrina to be a catastrophe resulting in great loss of life for the people he supposedly lead and represented. I have to agree though …. prosecuting politicians for corruption in LA is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Jul 09, 2014 12:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

which politician in the USA doesn’t commit ‘bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and tax evasion’?

where are the extortion, racketeering and pandering charges?

Jul 09, 2014 12:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
skifisss wrote:

I wonder if he was a member of a political party? Nah I guess not.

Jul 09, 2014 12:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
unkelremus wrote:

Serves the corrupt politician right, should have got 20 years.

Jul 09, 2014 12:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rollo2 wrote:

Another one bites the dust. I really hope he enjoys himself even though I expect he will be housed in some resort style prison reserved for the political elite.

Jul 09, 2014 12:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lag46 wrote:

What took so long? Besides being a crook, and in spite of the huge FEMA grants for emergency preparedness planning, training and equipment before Katrina, Nagan failed to perform his emergency response duties before, during and after the hurricane. He bears responsibility for the deaths in New Orleans resulting from Katrina. A firing squad is more appropriate.

Jul 09, 2014 1:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hatsin wrote:

Geez, politicians like this should be hung.

Jul 09, 2014 1:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

“Catching a dirty politician in Louisiana is like catching fish in a barrel. I wish prosecutors would go after politicians at the federal level like this.”

Jul 09, 2014 1:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Vertigo wrote:

“Former Cable TV Executive”, what more does one need to know about Nagin. The Cable TV/Telecommunications industry rules the roost when it comes to the purchase of political favors.

Jul 09, 2014 1:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeRealistic wrote:

Jul 09, 2014 2:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

“Indeed, and catching a dirty politician at the Federal level would be like dynamite fishing in that barrel.”

Meaning don’t stand too close.

Jul 09, 2014 2:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

“…The real reason for the Katrina disaster, along with Kathleen Blanco. And now, apparently the overt racism is actually being mentioned for his “chocolate city” vision. Don’t you love how well democrats are able to shift blame and responsibility and project their own social and legal failings onto others?”

RESPONSE:
Gosh, and all this time we thought “the real reason for the Katrina disaster” was a Category 5 Hurricane named “Katrina”, the catastrophic failure of the New Orleans levee system from the Katrina storm surge, and the consequent flooding of the city of New Orleans.
Wow, thanks for clearing up these misconceptions for us.
Imagine the gall of all those “democrats” running the National Weather Service, FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security, in 2005, for deceiving us all about the “real reason for the Katrina disaster”. Damned democrats!!!

“…Don’t you love how well democrats are able to shift blame and responsibility and project their own social and legal failings onto others?”

RESPONSE:
As opposed to the objective, non-partisan, well-reasoned nature of your own comment? Unintended irony?

As Mr. Rogers would have said: “Kids, can you say ‘Self-awareness?’.”

Jul 09, 2014 2:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeRealistic wrote:

REnninga – let me provide clarification, the reason for the botched response to teh Katrina disaster. The left could not blame GW fast enough or loud enough, even stating that he hated black people. All the while failing to report the vast and amount of resources made available immediately prior to and after the storm while the mayor and governor were trying to out blame each other. Yes, the disaster was natural and unavoidable, the sorry response was nearly all on the DNC mayor and governor.

Jul 09, 2014 3:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JakobStagg wrote:

Mr. Nagin should have gotten 1,000 years with no possibility of parole. There is no crime more heinous than the abuse of the power of one’s position.

I expect he will be joining his buddies in Club Fed, without any supervision.

Jul 09, 2014 3:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Adam_S wrote:

I worked in NOLA during the summer of 2007, helping distribute grant recovery money. I met Nagin a few times. Seeing what that city went through firsthand, and having this guy getting the graft off the top, side, or any way he could…utterly disgusting. 10 years is barely enough, considering how many people lost decades of life and love.

Jul 09, 2014 4:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sabrefencer wrote:

@ Renninga…I am an independent, who is convinced, that Obama and holder, need to be impeached, for not following the laws of this country…for using the IRS to suppress a political movement, whether I agree with that movement, or not..It is a horrible and dangerous precedent and totally illegal..For Holders selective efforts to enforce laws, only agreed to by he and Obama..when both were elected to protect ALL of our citizens and not just far left democrats and illegals..this is not the agenda, he sold to most of the people that voted for him…just so you don’t mistake my rants at the worst president and atty general, that we have had since ww2…as waking up on the moderate side of the bed..moderate has nothing to do with it here..Obama and holder, have betrayed us all…..

Jul 09, 2014 4:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
COindependent wrote:

@ Sabre. Amen. (Be careful, however, not to antagonize the progressives. Their heads will explode and you will be overwhelmed with the standard vitriol…including racist, and worst yet… Republican!)

it’s as if anyone who disagrees with a progressive, has to be a republican. Nothing could be further from the truth. But progressive can only spew mantra and vitriol. Anything beyond that requires an IQ above room temperature.

Jul 09, 2014 5:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lag46 wrote:

@ Renninga. The New Orleans Emergency Plan called for evacuation by privately-owned vehicles, transit system and school busses and by trains in advance of the hurricane. But, Nagan did not give the order; the trains left empty and the busses were flooded in their parking lots. A lot of Federal emergency preparedness grant money that went into planning and training by New Orleans was wasted. The Republicans biggest ommission in this disaster was their failure to explain the statutes governing a Federal takeover of the response.

Jul 09, 2014 5:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sabrefencer wrote:

Jul 09, 2014 5:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sabrefencer wrote:

Jul 09, 2014 5:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

“…why renninga, didn’t know you and bahktin, were such fans..maybe that explains all the sudden ‘abuse reports, that seem to have taken place, since u started to comment about me.. shame on you both…someone should do the same to both of you, whom are probably the same and not even citizens..just propaganda pieces from Canada…”

RESPONSE:
Classic! Thanks for the chuckle. :-)

Jul 09, 2014 6:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JEBwebs wrote:

First thing he did after Katrina hit was, rent a home in Highland Park (Dallas) Texas, move his family into it, and enroll his kids in the local school.

Through his negligence, Nagin is responsible for a lot of the 1500 deaths occurring during the storm.

Jul 09, 2014 6:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

“…The New Orleans Emergency Plan called for evacuation by privately-owned vehicles, transit system and school busses and by trains in advance of the hurricane. But, Nagan did not give the order; the trains left empty and the busses were flooded in their parking lots. A lot of Federal emergency preparedness grant money that went into planning and training by New Orleans was wasted. The Republicans biggest ommission in this disaster was their failure to explain the statutes governing a Federal takeover of the response.”

RESPONSE:
Do you get the absurdity of trying to politicize and quantify and parcel-out blame regarding a natural disaster?

Trying to blame Republicans, or Democrats, or little green men from Mars for that matter is beyond ridiculous? (One person here even blamed it on “the DNC”; which I assume to mean the Democratic National Committee).

This whole ad nauseam partisan political gamesmanship, trying to score points for your side, is utter foolishness. It’s all hot air, and entirely pointless. Why do you people persist in such an adolescent and futile endeavor, which says far more about your thought processes and perception of reality than it does about reality.

Here’s a clue:
Hurricane Katrina didn’t give a flying fig who occupied the White House, who occupied the Governor’s and Mayor’s offices, or their political party affiliations.
Hurricane Katrina didn’t select its victims by whether they were black, white, Democrat, Republican, rich or poor.

Jul 09, 2014 6:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lag46 wrote:

@ REnninga. I’ll try one more time but I think you really don’t care for any facts. There are victims of a disaster only when the disaster and people are in the same place at the same time. No non-essential people where the hurricane hits and you only have property damage at worse. Evacuate the people beforehand and no casualties. The NOLA emergengy plan gave evacuation a key role when forecast conditions indicated it was prudent. The mayor was absent and the NOLA emergency operations center was disfunctional. Nagan was the guy in charge, before, during and after Hurricane Katrina.

Jul 09, 2014 8:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

” …REnninga. I’ll try one more time but I think you really don’t care for any facts.”

RESPONSE:
Good grief, give it a rest. What is your problem?
You have somehow persuaded yourself that I have defended Mayor Ray Nagin, (or defended Gov. Kathleen Blanco, or criticized President Bush, etc., take your pick). I have said nothing of the kind.

I have taken issue here with the utter foolishness of people in this comments thread trying to score partisan political points for their side by making absurd statements asserting that one political party or the other, or a person’s political party affiliation has anything whatsoever to do with their complicity, incompetence, failure of responsibility, etc., in this disaster and its aftermath.

I’m sorry, but I have done what I can. If you can’t grasp the flagrant folly of continuing to play this silly partisan blame game, I can’t do any more to clarify my point for you. I guess you just have to figure it out for yourself. Good luck.

Jul 09, 2014 9:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Syanis wrote:

Whats new, corrupt liberal politics bleeding their areas dry.

Jul 09, 2014 10:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
REnninga wrote:

“…ty co…I think bahktin and renninga are the same, from canada..in the last two days, they or he ,have reported 35 of my comments as abuse…like spoiled brats, if they don’t get their way, they report those comments as abuse…obviously, they have followed my readings, or they wouldn’t have made comments like above…they should receive the same treatment, as they hand out…if Obama cannot silent us, for sure, these children cannot either…….”

RESPONSE:

Your comments have indeed caught my attention. They are pretty hard to miss (if only for their disquieting repetition).

You call for the “impeachment and removal from office” of “Obama and Holder” over and over and over again, several times each day, and in the vast majority of your comments. Hundreds of them.

It’s almost creepy, to be perfectly honest with you. BUT that said, …I wouldn’t personally categorize your posts as “abusive.”

I think it probably appears to anyone reading your posts to be some sort of a fixation for you – to keep posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over, … like you are stuck in a loop. How many hours of your life do you suppose you have spent writing that same message, over and over and over again, where it will be seen over and over by a mere handful of other persons? (and for the most part the same few people every day).

Well, that is neither here nor there. That’s your “deal.” Everybody has got “a deal.”

Now, you are of course welcome to your own assumptions, which you have stated above. However you should be aware of how they make you appear to others. Its not flattering to you, to comment as you have above. Your post above looks more like a tantrum, than the writing of a grownup. Come on, you don’t want to present yourself this way to others, do you?

In the many months (years?) since signing up for my user account with Reuters, I believe I have clicked the “Report abuse” link two times (possibly three?)

One I recall very vividly, several months ago, was a direct threat of violence expressed against the President of the United States. I used the link to report it to Reuters, and even considered contacting the FBI. It was that blatant a threat. I couldn’t understand why Reuters allowed it to be posted.

Another I recall more recently was a virulently racist post, using the “N” word — several times in a single post — and referring to black people as “vermin” who “need to be removed”, and to the President of the United States as a “half-breed.”

I deemed those comments worthy of reporting. Unless either of those descriptions ring-a-bell with you, I don’t think my two or three uses of the “Report abuse” link have been for comments you have posted (I could be wrong).

I thought that the “Report abuse” link was for, …well, reporting abuse comments to a Reuters moderator (silly me). But to the contrary, this appears not to be the case.

In just the past 24-hours some person or persons has been responsible for the deletion of 22 of my comments? And now here you are encouraging in your comment above — in writing — exactly that treatment of me, and others (by name). What’s that about?

Coincidence? Should I draw any conclusions? Tempting (especially given your false assumptions / accusations toward me, posted above), but I’ll demure. “Two wrongs do not make a right.”

Besides, as a West Coast USA retiree in my 60′s, I really could not care less.

I’ll just leave it to your own conscience, and refrain from responding to your future repetitive comments, as it appears that you do not like to be challenged by differing opinions. I get that.

As for me, I prefer a spirited 2-way conversation and intellectual banter (and occasional humor and well-written satire and sarcasm). It’s a good way to expand one’s horizons. Just my tuppence.

Cheers!

EDIT: Since the first time I posted this reply earlier this evening, it and 5 more of my comments have been deleted (totaling 28 in just the past 24-hours). It appears someone needs to grow up just a bit.

Jul 09, 2014 10:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JoeSchmoe123 wrote:

Lucky for Nagin, prison is chocolate too.

Jul 09, 2014 11:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
S.Hernandez wrote:

Had he not taken advantage of businesses trying to help the city after Katrina, they probably wouldn’t have gone after him as hard as they did. Louisiana has got to be the most crooked state in the union, so they knew what they’d find.

Jul 12, 2014 11:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse