Apple iPhone a danger to China national security: state media

EoinNow wrote:

China, Russia and Germany have all said it now. I like US citizens but even they don`t like the way their government works. This is the same in most free countries. Not liking your government is good as you want it to be better. If another persons government is affecting you or your government then the people of that country blame the country that is doing it. So I don`t like what the US is doing abroad (neither to they) so therefore I can say I don`t like the US. I just want to make this clear as so many people will think I hate them when I complain about the states. I don`t like a lot of things and if your country is responsible for said thing please don`t get offended when I complain.

Saying that I don`t like this spying and think the US should pull its finger out and start acting like a good grown up and stop spying. Not to keep going on … I do understand spying has its place and even Sun Tzu said it was necessary. My phone is not that place.

Jul 11, 2014 6:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
mdsjnj wrote:

Solution is simple. Turn off the tracking.
This article is complete Bullshit. Telecom is owned by the Chinese Government. They made the deal to have AAPL because the demand was too high to ignore and even spent billions on infrastructure to handle the phone’s capability.
Google on the other is in fact in the business of spying. I just saw one of their hack-mobiles in my neighborhood yesterday & shut down my Fios til they were gone.

Jul 11, 2014 7:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anthonykovic wrote:

the “backlash from China” is not quite right

the “backlash from the unelected communist government” would be a far more more accurate description

Jul 11, 2014 7:16am EDT  --  Report as abuse
xyzyx wrote:

I am laughing. Communist china is the country to which Steve Jobs sent several thousand American jobs. And, per ex-Jobs, those jobs are not coming back. I see some humor in communist china sort of biting Apple in the butt.

Jul 11, 2014 9:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
CodyWilliams wrote:

all phones do this…

Jul 11, 2014 9:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jbeech wrote:

I’m afraid I agree with the assessment about the dangers posed by Apple’s proclivity of tracking the users. I don’t like it, personally, so why should a government like it? Worse, I’ rather surprised it takes the common sense of the government of Communist China to take this stand instead of my own government, which is purportedly the one in the land of the free. If this company practice were banned by my own government (USA), I wouldn’t shed a tear. I feel helpless in the face of the power of the large corporations as they ride roughshod over my privacy concerns. Isn’t this what government is supposed to protect me from?

Jul 11, 2014 10:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JustProduce wrote:

This is not about Apple.
It is all about politics. As Obama has embarked in a modern version of mercantilism, he has triggered a response in kind. This is just the beginning. Our institutions will continue to see foreign government pressure as Obama continues to attack foreign companies.

Jul 11, 2014 10:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
China_Lies wrote:

This is ridiculous! Two points to consider:

1- Who in their right mind doesn’t believe that China (via Huawei) isn’t doing the exact same thing to other countries and, more importantly, to their own citizens? Think about it…anyone who has ever been to China will tell you that on every street corner in China there are cameras posted and taking pictures of the license plates of every car, motorcycle, and even bicycle that passes on that street. In broad daylight, the movement of Chinese citizens are being captured by their own government. It’s very hypocritical for China to use the excuse of “location tracking” as a threat to people’s privacy, when they are doing the exact same thing both on people’s phones, emails and in broad daylight.

2- This action by the communist government of China is actually not about spying at all. It is about an economic attack on a geo-political foe…the United States. China is attacking US tech companies in order to support local Chinese companies to fill the void after a brainwashed Chinese populace blindly believes the propoganda being spewed by the mouths of their Chinese task masters. The Chinese phone (Xiaomi) is conveniently placed in the market as a cheap competitor to the iPhone. If people are now scared to buy the iPhone, what will they turn to? That’s right, the Chinese knock-off version of the iPhone.

It’s time for people to open their eyes and see how blatantly they are being lied to by a chinese communist government. I’m not saying this to justify anything that the US government does, but don’t buy into the propaganda that China likes to flood the world with. We’re smarter than they think we are!

Jul 11, 2014 10:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
StigTW wrote:

Yep common sense is not for sale it’s probably why there is so little of it at US corps like Apple & other NSA ‘affiliates’.

Jul 11, 2014 11:04am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sensi wrote:

“Chinese media ire.”

Ah, how the Western “free press” is propagandizing one report about some iPhone feature causing concerns for privacy into some kind of a State propaganda campaign : just pathetic. On another hand the Western propaganda against anything China is more than clear to any objective observer, was mostly ridiculed following the Snowden leaks but as Reuters is correctly stating that Western mass propaganda started back again last may…

Jul 11, 2014 11:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sensi wrote:

@ China_Lies
What a garbage, reading your history of delusional and bigoted litanies is just pathetic.

Jul 11, 2014 11:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
willich6 wrote:

Zenophobic chinese bulls..t… Location features jepordize “state secrets” — in what universe? Just another attack on non-chinese companies doing business in China – while China hacks everyones servers stealing intellectual property and then rips it off..

Jul 11, 2014 12:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
usagadfly wrote:

US technology companies have been far, far too complicit in the creation of a police state in the USA. And the US Federal Government, all branches of it, has been far, far too lax in protecting the freedoms and privacy of *all* American citizens.

There is a monster loose upon the world, one that answers to no one 99% of Americans has ever physically seen. It has the self-righteous and arrogant cloak of “correctness” that every tyranny in known history has adopted, and presumes as most of those did, that they are immune to the tyrant’s disease. So far, that has always been presumed and has also always been incorrect.

Every human being who values his or her freedom should beware!

Jul 11, 2014 12:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PeterBlood wrote:

And of course it’s just much too hard to turn off Location Services on an iPhone to alleviate that imagined issue and triply hard for Reuters not to report that simple solution for the paranoid.

So much for informed journalism that can see and report the whole picture.

Jul 11, 2014 1:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
usagadfly wrote:

Those who believe you can “turn off” features in phones subject to Government regulation and control are naive at best.

Those who fail to see the threat of continual blanket surveillance are not paying attention, or they might truly believe some particular Super State, vastly more wise and benevolent than any authoritarian regime up to now, will actually be good for people. The Perfect State will of course make Perfect Decisions. All the time, every time.

Jul 11, 2014 7:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
UScitizentoo wrote:

This is about the usual – china preventing a successful company from operating in China. The fascist US congress should remove the fee trade agreement from the Military Communist Chinese who are destroying American business and jobs. But that’s what good fascists do – destroy nation states.
The communists are at war with America. Only congress doesn’t get it.

Jul 12, 2014 1:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse