Buffett donates $2.8 billion to Gates, family charities

dd606 wrote:

Hmmm… All the rich haters are mighty quiet. Where’d you guys go?

Jul 15, 2014 7:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GreenLantern2 wrote:

I’m puzzled, Jonathan and/or Lisa, as to why you would send out a story on the Reuters site referring to “Mexico telecommunications mogul Carlos Slim.” Yes, we are seeing adjectives replaced by their noun forms across the board, as in “Asia markets,” “U.S.-Canada border,” “Phillipines typhoon,” etc. etc. ad nauseam. But “Mexico telecommunications mogul” seems to set a new low. At least most of those misuses occur in headiness, not type. Surely he’s a MEXICAN telecommunications mogul. Has literacy completely disappeared as a journalistic ideal?

Jul 15, 2014 7:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
wjw33 wrote:

Dear Mr. Buffett,
Thanks for the contribution!
Regards,

Jul 15, 2014 8:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
milestristero wrote:

I don’t know about hating the rich, but I’ve had my share of criticism towards their hoarding of money. Buffett and Gates at least realize what’s going on in the rest of the world and are using their financial leverage to resolve these issues.

Jul 15, 2014 8:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Great job Mr. Buffet.
You deserve the respect you so get from many.
You are a great man…

Jul 15, 2014 8:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KFC905 wrote:

Buffet seems to donate the bulk of his money to the Gates foundation, which, from what I’ve read, only helps people in the Seattle, WA area. I would think donating to a charity that helps people across the country would be more useful.

On a side note: Why would one extremely wealthy person donate to another extremely wealthy person’s organization? Bill Gates has billions to spare also, so why would he need Buffet’s contributions? Some kind of tax advantage maybe?

Jul 15, 2014 9:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
UScitizentoo wrote:

Buffet shows the world just how dirty the Koch brothers are. Instead of donations those guys are destroying political consensus necesary to save the planet. Pure filth.
Buffet is my Hero who shows the world you don’t have to be a worm to be a billionaire.

Jul 16, 2014 2:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rhino1 wrote:

Hello DD606:

I am one of those who you would call a “rich hater”.

However, I am not indiscrinate. I only resent (!) those who spend their money irresponsibly while others can’t feed their kids, put clothes on their backs or send them to school.

I have never resented people like Buffet, the Gates’ etc. who I have the greatest respect for.

Thank you Mr. Buffet, on behalf of the underprivileged. May many other rich people follow your lead!

Jul 16, 2014 3:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
zoobadooba wrote:

Why donate to charities when they can spend that money DIRECTLY building schools, hospitals, and mass amounts of vertical farms and renewable energy projects.

Jul 16, 2014 2:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse