U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark

BeRealistic wrote:

I have heard of Ronaldo, thanks to recent World Cup events, however, like myself, I doubt many in the US have ever heard of “CR7″. Sorry Christiano, the US, as a whole, just doesn’t care about your game or your fame.

Jul 31, 2014 9:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
MonitorLizard wrote:

“Christiano” WHO? Never heard of his name or number. I don’t like soccer. I really can’t picture myself standing there with tears running down my cheeks for it. I hope this US man gets a lot of money from this “nobody” for infringing upon his patent. Way to go Mr. Renzi!

Jul 31, 2014 10:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
MunchHausen wrote:

Ronaldo, his company and their attorneys are clearly just scumbags.

Jul 31, 2014 11:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Hatsin wrote:

Oh god, are we back to talking about fake football again?

No one cares about soccer here, go back to NotAmericanLand.

Jul 31, 2014 12:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
shadowmane wrote:

Though Soccer is catching on in the United States, it is still much junior to Football, Basketball, Hockey and Baseball (in that order). Christiano Ronaldo has international name recognition. But the US is another beast entirely. I doubt very seriously if, before this year’s World Cup, many Americans outside of the small soccer fandom here even know (or even care) who he is. I don’t think this lawsuit will get very far, but I have been wrong before.

Jul 31, 2014 1:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sheebson wrote:

“…a connection with the soccer player would immediately be presumed by the general public when encountering” Renzi’s branded clothes…”

No. Just… no.

Jul 31, 2014 1:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dj99 wrote:

Agree that Ronaldo isn’t right to do this, but you guys should realise that American is the home of corp lawyers and where money talks so he’ll probably win. Also worth remembering football (soccer) is a international sport unlike many of the sports enjoyed in the US.

Jul 31, 2014 3:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Cabeson wrote:

Is it not enough that he’s the highest paid player and has all kinds of side income that he has to try to strong arm a small business owner.

Jul 31, 2014 6:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RET_SFC wrote:

Underwear! That’s just… PANTS!

Jul 31, 2014 11:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
VikasKumar wrote:

Who plays football with hand and call it as football – the American. Nfl is not the real football game. If anyone saying that in USA nobody cares about the game played by CR7 that’s ridiculous…even whole American watched the fifa world cup finals held in brazil.

Jul 31, 2014 11:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse