Ukraine keeps up anti-rebel offensive with nervous eye on Russia

Comments (38)

I hope the separatists remember that karma is a b*&(ch, if the story is true about firing on unarmed soldiers.

Aug 05, 2014 7:39am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tatania wrote:

I would not believe that what they say in Kiev.

Aug 05, 2014 7:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BraveNewWrld wrote:

UNHCR reports 730,000 conflict refugees displaced to Russia, 168,000 internally in Ukraine. Thousands killed. This is the point at which NATO military action began in Kosovo vs Serbia case. Why are we not doing the same now? Somebody has to stop Kiev government, stop this madness!

Aug 05, 2014 8:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tatania wrote:

in Kiev there is no law and no human rights. but there is a powerful patron. uncle Sam.

Aug 05, 2014 8:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse

It’s not just Kiev, Brave. Moscow also needs to stop with the interference, and the posturing on the border.

Aug 05, 2014 8:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Tolan wrote:

They brought also balistic missiles to be used against civilian population living in these cities. It’s first time in world history that such arms will be used in civil war, with applause and support of the so called “democratic” countries. Shame to UE!

Aug 05, 2014 8:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
momo51 wrote:

Russia should stop this massacre and intervene to protect those russio-ukrainians from being exterminated since the UN is keeping a blind eye on this carnage.

Aug 05, 2014 8:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ancalimon wrote:

If Russia dares to make a move against Ukraine it will bring about incredible suffering to the Russian people. The World has changed but Mr. Putin has not noticed. The poor Russians are again lied to by their government as always.

Aug 05, 2014 9:27am EDT  --  Report as abuse
mjp1958 wrote:

I would not believe anything that Putin or the Russia government says! They lie constantly!

Aug 05, 2014 9:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
prolibertate wrote:

All governments lie. But the EUkrainians being conscripted to murder their own people by the NATO-backed puppet government in Kiev know they are being used as pawns to kill other pawns. Therefore NATO and other Nuland-ish powers sponsor mercenaries to kill where the people of conscience might hesitate or refuse.

Aug 05, 2014 9:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
UIn wrote:

They use warplanes against civilians? It’s just terrible!
Russia’s accused Kiev of using air missiles and bombs to kill civilians and it’s turned out to be true.
Is it Europe? Why is it happening now in Europe?

Aug 05, 2014 10:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JPHR wrote:

The UNHCR has documented how Ukrainians are voting with their feet:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/05/us-ukraine-crisis-migrants-idUSKBN0G50XT20140805

So 730.000t have left for Russia and 117.000 are displaced within the Ukraine. Starts to sound like a quite successful type of ethnic cleansing.

The EU and US couldn’t care less.

Aug 05, 2014 10:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
zazzy wrote:

Tatania, Momo, Tolan, JPHR, prolibertata, Norm……wow…all the Pukin trolls are out in force here. Why do you all waste your time writing the same old lies? The only sheeple that believe them are Russians. The rest of us just read your blogs for amusement. LOL

Aug 05, 2014 11:39am EDT  --  Report as abuse
galations65 wrote:

If anyone provoked this conflict it was Pres. Obama with his misinformation that the annexation of Crimea was an act of aggression when Crimea, which was always a part of Russia, voted 96.77% to go back to their homeland Russia on March 16,2014. Because the Malaysian airplane was insured by a German company, I tend to believe the German investigator, pilot-cum-air-technology expert, Peter Haisenko, who said the holes in the plane were not made by a missile, but a SU 25 fighter plane like the Ukrainian government owns as 2 of these planes were spotted near the Malaysian plane at that time by the Spanish air traffic control. This article is in Investment Watch. The hypocritical U.S. should lift sanctions and stay out of the Ukraine as the U.S. itself gives missiles and weapons to countries that aren’t even on their border and have no Americans in them.

Aug 05, 2014 12:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ihor2014 wrote:

I see all of the Putin apologists are out in good form.

Tell me, what do you think Putin would do if part of Siberia wanted to separate from Russia?

Ukraine is standing up for it’s rights, it has every right to defend it’s sovereignty – something which Russia completely betrayed after promising with the Budapest agreement.

Aug 05, 2014 12:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
will37 wrote:

Bring together the best and brightest in the world on LNG production and transport. Devise the most economical system possible to supply Western and Central Europe with LNG from multiple sources to cut imports from Russia by 50%+ by 2017.

Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be cheap? Nope. Will it cost more per cf than Russian gas? Yep. Will it be well worth it? Without a doubt.

Aug 05, 2014 12:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
galations65 wrote:

If anyone provoked this conflict it was Pres. Obama with his misinformation that the annexation of Crimea was an act of aggression when Crimea, which was always a part of Russia, voted 96.77% to go back to their homeland Russia on March 16,2014. Because the Malaysian airplane was insured by a German company, I tend to believe the German investigator, pilot-cum-air-technology expert, Peter Haisenko, who said the holes in the plane were not made by a missile, but a SU 25 fighter plane like the Ukrainian government owns as 2 of these planes were spotted near the Malaysian plane at that time by the Spanish air traffic control. This article is in Investment Watch. The hypocritical U.S. should lift sanctions and stay out of the Ukraine as the U.S. itself gives missiles and weapons to countries that aren’t even on their border and have no Americans in them.

Aug 05, 2014 12:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
weBhere wrote:

A voice of reason – yea! zazzy understands. Western media is not controlled by any government, and is free to present a wide and divergent view of ideas. The Russian media, however, is widely regarded as nothing more than a mouthpiece for the Russian government where dissenting views are marginallized or suppressed through intimidation or coercion. Anyone familiar with a free media understands which of these – Western or Russian – is more likely to be considered “propaganda”.

Aug 05, 2014 1:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
galations65 wrote:

Yes, send in NATO for peace attempt. Still, we are overlooking the hidden true evil going on in the Ukraine with the Svoboda Party getting a law passed that only pure Ukrainians can hold civil service jobs and recently making all Jewish people register with the Ukrainian government on forms that they are Jewish. Is the Ukrainian government planning on an ethnic cleansing or what??

Aug 05, 2014 1:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CanRus wrote:

tatania wrote:
“I would not believe that what they say in Kiev. in Kiev there is no law and no human rights.”

The people in Kiev are not always honest, true. Who would you believe?… the Kremlin? They lie constantly. Your 2nd comment is funny, coming from someone who cheers for Putin – someone whose policy is to trample human rights and even the Russian constitution when it suits him. Kiev is a lot better than Moscow at the moment.

BraveNewWrld wrote:
“UNHCR reports 730,000 conflict refugees displaced to Russia, 168,000 internally in Ukraine. Thousands killed.”

Lazy reporting by many news sites without checking facts. I don’t know who reported this first, but they’re all guilty of sloppy journalism. You got some of the numbers from the re-posts mixed up – telephone game. Thousands killed is a lie. Official estimate is 1,100.

The 730,000 number is an estimate by the Kremlin (therefore highly questionable) of the total number of Ukrainians who entered Russia since the beginning of the year for all reasons combined – immigration, work, refugees, visiting relatives, tourists, etc. Russia’s Federal Migration Service claims 168,677 Ukrainians officially entered Russia during that period, with no clear number on how many of them are refugees – likely in the 50,000 to 100,000 range. The UNHCR itself only reports that approximately 117,000 refugees are currently displaced within Ukraine, including those from Crimea.

Here’s the link to the original UN article:
http://www.unhcr.org/53e0b3a59.html

Tolan wrote:
“They brought also balistic missiles to be used against civilian population living in these cities”
Lol! More hilarious Kremlin propaganda, from the people who brought you reports of phosphorus bombs, crucified children and a plane full of dead bodies. This is Reuters, not RT or Russia’s Channel 1.

momo51 wrote:
“Russia should stop this massacre and intervene…”
Russia (namely Putin) is the main cause of all the death and destruction in Ukraine. That was the plan. If Putin stopped intervening, the war would stop within days.

@prolibertate
All governements lie sometimes, to varying degrees – Putin and the Kremlin are currently world champions. The rest of your post… sigh… no comment.

@JPHR
See my reply to BraveNewWrld.

Aug 05, 2014 2:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kommy wrote:

About 65K engaged in a combat, 40k ukrops and 15k rebels, no wonder Russia keeps some meager 20k on the border.

Aug 05, 2014 2:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kommy wrote:

@smokeymtnblues. Thats right, karma is a b-word, but internet is full of report of ukrop SBU tormenting the returning soldiers, not rebels shooting at them.

After all, rebels let them go unopposed, and Russia fed them washed them and provided a medical assistance.

Where is the logic in shooting at surrendering soldiers?

May be this is a remaining Polish special forces that stuck in the same kessel?

Aug 05, 2014 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ThomasOne wrote:

time for the civilized world’s citizens to total boycott all that is Russian until Russians dismantle Putin and Puntinism- cannot have it both ways.

China needs to be a responsible member of the international community and not take advantage. We are willing the make sacrifices. About the only leaders that Putin smiles at theses days are despots and dictators.

Aug 05, 2014 2:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
unionwv wrote:

If Russian troops are indeed massing on the border, we need another red line.

Where’s Obama?

Aug 05, 2014 3:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mjp1958 wrote:

For an example of how immoral and evil the pro-Russian terrorists are in Ukraine, they are now forcing Ukrainian men to do slave labor, according to a story today’s New York Times. They have learned from their dictator in chief, Mr. Putin!

Aug 05, 2014 3:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Reality2Day wrote:

@unionwv wrote:

If Russian troops are indeed massing on the border, we need another red line.

Where’s Obama?

——-
Funny and sad, but true. On the golf course drinking beer.

Aug 05, 2014 4:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pyradius wrote:

“unionwv wrote:
If Russian troops are indeed massing on the border, we need another red line.

Where’s Obama?”

Perpetually in your head and comments. There is a term for it, ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome).

Aug 05, 2014 4:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
branchltd wrote:

If Russia invades these two states it has to pay for their reconstruction. Putin’s already been dipping into the Russian Pension Fund for reconstruction of the Crimea, and probably for the war games also. Eventually, that will be gone and Russia will have the liability but no assets.

Aug 05, 2014 4:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

The unfortunate thing is, there is a large amount of pent up aggression in the former Soviet states that are now NATO members who would eagerly engage against Russia. Russia on the other hand has completed it’s cycle to engage in another conflict to restart their economy. It’s not a good situation and Putin continues to escalate things in Ukraine to take the focus off brewing issues in his home country.

Aug 05, 2014 5:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
zhivago76 wrote:

smokeymtnblues, noone shot anyone it’s another fake

Aug 05, 2014 5:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
zhivago76 wrote:

Guys in Ukraine just doing such a strange parliament election campaign. The war will stop just after the new government is established

Aug 05, 2014 5:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
justusMe wrote:

Ah, wheren’t those airforce maneuvers in Astrakhan? This is 600 miles away from Ukraine. Most jets, and certainly helicopter’s combat range is far less than that. Come on Reuters, at least you should know your geography! Do you have to repeat what Jen Psaki says without even making sure that at least it remotely makes sense?

Aug 05, 2014 6:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AvidHistorian wrote:

To understand what is really going on you need a filter to translate the Russian statements, from Putin on down. I find inverting every official statement from the Russian government (and their many trolls here) uncovers the truth. If Putin says there are no Russian soldiers in Ukraine, that means there are. If they didn’t supply the missiles and training to shoot down MH17, then they did (oops on their part, kids with guns and high altitude missiles, but hey they look so cute in their camo and russian flag t’shirts). Russia has so consistently inverted the truth and never told half truths or God (or Marx) forbid told the ACTUAL 100% truth that reversing everything they say makes what is going on easy to comprehend to us people who live in the rest of the world where leaders must say the truth ‘some’ of the time or be embarrassed by the press or impeached from office. Putin can lie in your face then laugh behind your back when you trust his lies. Hitler was the same way with other world leaders of his time, exactly the same. Putin holds the rest of the world and his own people in supreme contempt. He’s in this for his own enjoyment, all the sex he likes and the power his position gives him. Power does corrupt absolutely, when it has no bounds.

Aug 05, 2014 6:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DellStator wrote:

The reason the UN isn’t interceding or complaining about this conflict is: 1. The Ukrainian gov’t had done NOTHING to abuse, marginalize, or deprive “Russian speakers” of any rights. There was NO basis for seperatists to take up arms. 2. Seperatists FIRST action wasn’t 3 or 4 months of peaceful protest, it was to storm civic buildings and police stations led by self admitted Russian Mercs, looting and burning the buildings and stopping all police and civil services. 3. Many of the seperatists admitted to being Russians, and over time they forced out any Ukrainian leaders, and now only Russian Mercs wanted for war crimes in other countries they similiarly destabilized are in control, and the few Ukrainians left in the movement are simply cannon fodder. 4. The Seperatists and Russian Mercs have never agreed to talk or even a cease fire, saying in the news it was their way or total war.

Aug 05, 2014 9:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
moros wrote:

Lots of Russians here…

Aug 05, 2014 12:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Zernike wrote:

Oh… people…
1) If you say somebody lies then show fact. Not your emotions (“i dont believe it!!!111!1 they always lie!!!1!1 Bla bla!..”), only facts or contradictions.
2) If any journalist blames something and doesnt show approvable origin then don’t read.
3) Social networks is not an evidence. Small pictures is not an evidence. Hi, american government!
4) Read different periodicals. For example WP, reuters and so on. WP have a lot of words for creating mood. Reuter is more strict. I can’t say WP is propaganda tool, but its journalists look less professional.
5) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
6) http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Falsifiability.html

Aug 06, 2014 1:39am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mister_Mister wrote:

Americans are too lazy and too fat to die for Eastern Europe = FACT

Aug 06, 2014 2:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tatania wrote:

zazzy is just a troll for himself. I wish you to think critically.

but what to expect from troll-troll

Aug 06, 2014 4:31am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.