Jobless claims up, trend favors strong labor market

TheFutureMan wrote:

Let us not forget that economists are investors too. Why would they say anything to cause panic to make their share price go down. Just like news outlets, their investors too, remember!

Aug 14, 2014 8:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
PCCorruption wrote:

Always psitive, even when the numbers are negative. Still many people looking for a job in SoCal.

Aug 14, 2014 8:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JustProduce wrote:

What caught my attention this morning was the zero change Import and Export prices. These add to the other signs of deflation.
As for the jobless claims data, it is noisy by nature. In any case, it would be interesting to see where it would be if unemployment benefits were open again to all those seeking employment but who’s unemployment benefits expired long ago.

Aug 14, 2014 8:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jambrytay wrote:

Unless they’re on the short side of the transaction.

Aug 14, 2014 9:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

In other news, “…all US jobs lost, not one person is working, but the trend continues to show strength.” – Why is it that no matter what happens, Reuters ALWAYS reports the trend is good?

Aug 14, 2014 9:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Simplerman wrote:

But, but, but, but…

Face it, this economy is going no where (and fast).

Aug 14, 2014 9:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Nuke3025 wrote:

Every month their figures are revised upwards and we are supposed to buy into that being a good trend. These days, I just parse the article titles and forget about reading the tilted dribble. To me this says “US Jobless Claims Up”. That’s All I need to know.

Aug 14, 2014 9:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Reuter’s, please post my comments and stop throwing them in the trash! Yes, I inquired and was told they were found, for some unknown reason, in the trash bin.

Aug 14, 2014 9:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
InTune wrote:

Yep, Nuke3025 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Aug 14, 2014 10:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Aug 14, 2014 10:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

Aug 14, 2014 10:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SaveRMiddle wrote:

In Post Wealth Transfer America, those who no longer qualify for food stamps can claim to be successful. Living The Dream has been adjusted accordingly.

Aug 14, 2014 10:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BeRealistic wrote:

Always with the “but the trend is good.” No matter what the report, the trend is good. Sure, no agenda here at all.

Aug 14, 2014 10:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Simplerman wrote:

That darn Reuters trash bin.

Aug 14, 2014 10:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ineeditbad wrote:

gcf1965 wrote:

THIS is the same old story with Reuters…Comments Take Hours to appear, if at all. Their Support is practically non-existent as well…

Aug 14, 2014 10:38am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve wrote:

Is this the same trend favoring a strong job market that favored a strong housing market?

which, since it has collapsed, we no longer hear about day after day?

All the news that fits our agenda. We do the thinking for you!

Aug 14, 2014 10:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
PCCorruption wrote:

I have commented several times today and none of them have been posted. I did ot attack anyone or call names. Reuters, any reason for this?

Aug 14, 2014 10:57am EDT  --  Report as abuse
moonhill wrote:

If Bush (or any Republican) were still president with these figures, the headline would read totally different.

Aug 14, 2014 11:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

ineedit, I have had pretty good results with support as far as getting responses. I was told that “somehow” my comments were ending up in the trash bin, but they didn’t know why. Supposedly they went back and published the comments they found in the trash. They were not reported as abuse or removed, just sent directly to trash. Reuters REALLY needs to fix their comments section.

Aug 14, 2014 11:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JustProduce wrote:

Aug 14, 2014 11:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

I sent in a followup response this morning, seems they are cleaning out the trash again and posting those comments. Yeah, I have been posting here for many months so I know about the normal delay, this is not the same thing.

Aug 14, 2014 11:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SaveRMiddle wrote:

REUTERS……Ever think about updating your comment format to the level of today’s media world? You are frustrating the clickers who increase your advertizing revenue.

Do I need a keyword for this to reach human eyes? I recently read you disallow the word Terror-ism.

Aug 14, 2014 11:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Whipsplash wrote:

@ Justproduce, Wrong, they’ve dropped many of mine also. I’d be surprised if this gets posted as bad as it’s been lately.

Aug 14, 2014 12:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ineeditbad wrote:

gcf1965:

I gotcha. I’ve had little to no luck with their Support. Gotta keep after them. I DO Appreciate Reuters allowing Comments, no doubts. Thank You Reuters.

Aug 14, 2014 12:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Loucleve wrote:

losing 500,000 full time jobs, and gaining 700,000 part time jobs is not what I call a strong labor market trend.

Aug 14, 2014 12:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dualcitizen wrote:

Not that this comment will get posted. I’ve evidently been identified by Reuters as a person who doesn’t swallow their biased liberal agenda. But, really, claims up, 4 week avg. up, but shows strong labor market, does anyone with intelligence really believe this?

Aug 14, 2014 1:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

Couple points…

‘Every month their figures are revised upwards’ Another rightie showing their cognitive dissonance, this report is released weekly.

With regards to the REuters comment posting issue, even this shows the mentality of the average rightie, many are saying things like ‘I’ve evidently been identified by Reuters as a person who doesn’t swallow their biased liberal agenda’ or ‘So that is what happens to all comments not aligned with the White House; they go to the trash.’, there is not conspiracy to suppress ‘conservative’ comments, it is simply a screwed up system. The right thinks EVERYTHING is some liberal conspiracy.

Aug 14, 2014 2:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
InTune wrote:

I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing trouble posting comments. It seems to be very hit-and-miss, with miss being more likely. One of my comments actually posted today, so we’ll see if this one does, too.

Aug 14, 2014 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Crash0866 wrote:

USAPragmatist wrote:
Couple points…

You’re wrong

Aug 14, 2014 3:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PCCorruption wrote:

USAPragmatist — Do you write anything that is not partisan? Simply curious. I have seen your comments in several posts and you always write “rightie” and very partisan. This post discusses jobless claims and they have increased much more than expected. That would not indicate favoring a strong labor market. Anyone (regardless of party affiliation) that would call the current conditions a strong market has to be called out. We don’t trul;y know if it is strengthening considering the unemployment rate rose last month.

Aug 14, 2014 3:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

USA, when major media outlets, like NBC (there have been others in recent years as well), get caught creatively, selectively, and deceptively editting video to make a situation something it was not (think Zimmerman, but other instances too), then yeah, one has to question what is conspiracy and what is not. It is not crazy, just an observation of what is happening.

Aug 14, 2014 3:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JustProduce wrote:

@USAPragmatist
Two points (not just one):
(1) I am not much of a conspiracy theorist. I am nonetheless a contrarian, which demands a strong sense of conviction as the masses walk the opposite direction. Needless to say that being a contrarian has served me well during my life. In any case they are not the same.
(2) Since my opinion of the President’s performance and skills are low, I have no way of knowing if Reuters discriminates posts by those who like the guy. What I can be certain of is that they are censuring my posts. So my comments reflect facts. Now that I would expect those who aren’t being censured to accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist in the absence of a better argument.

Aug 14, 2014 3:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JustProduce wrote:

@USAPragmatist
You are right. Jobless Claims are reported weekly. Meanwhile Employment Situation (Nonfarm Payrolls) is reported monthly.
In any case, the constant is that they are both revised all of the time. For reference, look at the period during the last presidential election. Conveniently, all data looked great prior to the elections while it was subsequently revised up right after the elections.
Conspiracy theory? Call it what you like. It is nonetheless a fact.

Aug 14, 2014 3:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gcf1965 wrote:

To show that I do embrace the facts/truth, I will vouch for USA in that a couple of weeks ago (roughly) he/she did also state his/her comments were not posting either.

JustProduce, I have never heard of a contrarian as a self-description, but it sounds like a good way to get labeled a troublemaker, just an observation.

Aug 14, 2014 4:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

Simplerman: “Elevated chronic unemployment is the by far the largest national security threat to the US – and will sink us if it doesn’t get rectified with sound economic policies soon.”

Sound economic policies? Like what?

Aug 14, 2014 10:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
carnivalchaos wrote:

For those conservatives who are claiming that Reuters has a liberal bias and is deleting conservative comments, did it never occur to you that your analysis of the situation must be wrong by virtue of the fact that most of the comments on this thread are conservative? LOL. The continuing march of the Duh Conservatives.

Aug 14, 2014 10:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
peter.neumann wrote:

This same line (with changes to the percentage rate and number of weeks) appears in this article nearly every week.

“The unemployment rate for people receiving jobless benefits was 1.9 percent for the fifth successive week.”

Can someone explain why the unemployment rate for people receiving jobless benefits is 1.9%? By definition if someone is receiving jobless benefits than they are not employed. Shouldn’t the unemployment rate for people receiving jobless benefits be 100%? Or at least be more than the unemployment rate for the overall US population which is around 6.1%?

Aug 15, 2014 1:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse