Time Warner Cable raises Internet modem fees for customers

Scully wrote:

Lol Just last month I dropped my $80/month HD cable television. I watch maybe 10 hours of television per month. Seemed like a steep price for only a few shows. Now I’m gonna return my $6/month “rental” modem and purchase my own. Might cost me $50. lol TWC is making my life cheaper. Go ahead and raise my internet fee and watch how easy is it for me to jump to Windstream (the other local internet provider). TWC sucks!!!! I’m just gonna make that jump now. Screw it. They’ll just make the rest of you guys pay for it anyway.

Jul 29, 2013 7:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pokerbud28 wrote:

Be sure that you keep a record of when you returned your modem. And the receipts from when you bought your own. I’ve read horror stories about them charging people for “failing to return” the modem they purchased for themselves.

Jul 29, 2013 7:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
snatchers wrote:

Time Warner…lol

If I Verizon serviced my area, I would fiber optics cable internet in a heartbeat. Not complaining about the speed of the internet, but it times out multiple times a day. I can tell especially when I’m streaming, and of course, the obvious lack of “send, receive” lighting.

The messed up thing is Time Warner is better than the other choice, Comcast.

Jul 29, 2013 8:13pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ragehavoc wrote:

modems costs between $50 and $100, internet companies make money hand over fist with their rental fees.

Jul 29, 2013 8:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Cabhan wrote:

Wait- They’re raising the monthly fee because of an increased cost in providing something they already provided?

Jul 29, 2013 8:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
vetfrog wrote:

Time Warner including Comcast and Charter are truly a sore of the communications industry. They are changing their packages and increasing prices because of one reason, “they were given permission by the FCC”. The plan not spoken about yet is to say they are not charging for modems but everyone knows it’s going to be part of the package. Originally the cable industry had contracts with each city because they were using easement rights of utility. Once cable was built the industry had already planned to go to the FCC and have the contracts nullified. If they hadn’t cities would still have the say so on price increases in certain areas. Plus they would not allow these companies the right to refuse basic packages! Guess what companies are starting to do that!
I was a systems manager for Storer Communications in the 80′s and was shifted to public relations after they fired 360 managers. So I have a lot of insight in the industry some may not have.

Jul 29, 2013 9:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Syanis wrote:

Hopefully someone has the balls to sue Time Warner if it changes the agreement for existing customers. I’m betting their are laws about changing rental agreements while within a contract but before the contract expires and should be fairy easy to apply.

Jul 29, 2013 10:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Syanis wrote:

Jul 29, 2013 10:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Genagirl wrote:

I pay TWC 107 a month for triple play. I have a dvr, cable box and modem. I will not keep it if it gets much higher, I am paying enough as it is.

Jul 30, 2013 1:35am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ackles wrote:

It is suck a rip-off and there is nothing we can do. There is no one that can go up against Time Warner. They are all this city has there is not one else here. I wonder if we could buy our own modem. I guess I will have to call and ask.

Jul 30, 2013 2:09am EDT  --  Report as abuse
billeebong wrote:

…unless customers just go out and get a modem themselves…why the heck would you lease a modem?

Jul 30, 2013 2:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
GeorgeWBush wrote:

NSA must be charging Time Warner a service charge they have to recover.

Jul 30, 2013 9:38am EDT  --  Report as abuse
PapaDelta wrote:

This should be no surprise considering they charge you to rent a DVR box AND then charge a separate fee for the hard drive inside of it. TWC is the new “phone company”–a corporation whose sole purpose isn’t to provide service but to milk its customers for every last dime it can get.

Jul 30, 2013 10:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BubbaGumper wrote:

Got to laugh. The death of the Cable Industry is nearing. The Cable companies seem to think people have no life nor work and sit mindlessly in front of their TV’s 24/7. This is obviously not the case. Further, TV programming is about the worst it’s ever been and commercials are over the top. Out of all the stations one gets in these packages, only a handful are watched, with even fewer programs that are regularly watched. That in mind, the consumer is expected to pay for all of this? They’ve got to be joking. There are, and more are showing up, options to access the internet. Since many of us don’t play with toys, like the smart phone or tablet, being connected 24/7 is not necessary. That fad will wane and the cloud will have only a niche market. Keep up the nonsense, and Cable can kiss its future goodbye.

Jul 30, 2013 12:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lildoctor wrote:

This should only be for new customers. If you already have a box tell them to stick it.

Jul 30, 2013 1:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
truestyle wrote:

I was under contract with twc for 2 years. At the end of 2 years they sent me a letter saying they were extending it for 2 more years. I raised no fuss because the rates were still saving a bunch. But how can you just extend a contract without the other party accepting and signing on to it?? They arent too bright. I suppose they can charge me for my modem, Ive had one of their digital cable boxes for 3 years without them charging me for it because they forgot they gave them out as a “sorry” one time.

Jul 30, 2013 1:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Comcast used to do this to me. I bought a $30 modem and had the fee eliminated. Was so happy to take my cable box into comcast and tell them where they could put it when I switched over to Dish. I may be doing something similar to Dish Network soon. After all 250 channels of old reruns and a few news channels is not worth all that much.

Jul 30, 2013 2:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mark282 wrote:

Yea, I already got their letter saying that my bill was going up by $20.00 . And I already called Frontier and told them to sign me up ! Time Warner can shove their rate hike !

Jul 30, 2013 7:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Monkfish wrote:

Everybody stop going to movies. Drop their plans for cable and internet.Give it back to the man.Help out in your community,friends,excercise,get healthy and let them suffer.Their probably in cahouts with each other to drive up prices.

Jul 30, 2013 8:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
skiphen132 wrote:

my dad bought a new modem and asked TW what to do with theirs and they said Keep it.

Jul 30, 2013 9:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jims1950 wrote:

the greed never ends

Jul 31, 2013 10:04am EDT  --  Report as abuse
marco007 wrote:

Always buy your own modem when setting up service. People usually keep their internet service long enough to where it makes no sense renting a modem long term.

Jul 31, 2013 1:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
marco007 wrote:

Jul 31, 2013 1:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
AK510 wrote:

I got a used Cisco DPC3010 on Amazon for about $30. It was not on the approved list but had no problems activating it with Time Warner last night. That was for my dad. I also bought the same modem for myself but Comcast could not activate it after hours on the phone and online chat. It actually did connect because I was getting the Comcast activation page and picking up an IP address but the activation could not go through. From what I’ve read online, it appears their systems no longer allow the tech support reps to override non-approved devices. In the end, they said it was not on their approved list of modems and so it could not be activated. So now I am returning it and getting another DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but lower end DPC3000, for $35.

Long story short, kudos for Time Warner for greater flexibility. Truestyle, I believe Time Warner does not have any contracts (that’s what a customer service rep told me) and the 2-year plan is more of a rate guarantee that they extended it for you but you are free to cancel anytime.

Jul 31, 2013 3:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

The modems cost about $12.00 when buying 100,000 pieces at a time. So if you don’t like getting “nickle and dimed” to death then spend the $50- and buy your own or find another provider.

Jul 31, 2013 5:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse