Canada Parliament eats seal to defy "ignorant" EU

jcd8822 wrote:

Whew, I am glad I am not a member of Parliament.

Mar 10, 2010 9:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sheesmakees wrote:

I believe in treating all animals humanely whether a pet, livestock, or wildlife. I am against the use of the club called a hakapik. Shooting an animal with an appropriate firearm is far better than the inhumane living conditions of our livestock and domestic fowl.

Mar 11, 2010 9:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
Pollvaulter wrote:

Richard Nixon once toured a new sewage recycling plant where the raw solid waste was converted into edible cookies at the end of the process and the managers served him a plateful of the stuff for a photo-op proclaiming he would find it surprisingly tasty…whereupon he told them “I’ll take your word for it…” and gave them the famous Tricky Dicky non-shit-eating grin as he left for a more appealing power lunch…Bon Appetit, mes Parlementaires!

Mar 11, 2010 11:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
bigben wrote:

I’ve eaten all manner of wild game, including an Ox burger in Alaska (delicious), “bird on a stick” in Beijing, rabbit ears in Jinchuan, squirrels in Northern Ontario, white tailed deer in Ohio, crocodile and kangaroo in Australia,ostrich in South Africa, foie gras in France etc. etc.. I’m anxious to try seal meat on my next trip to Ottawa. I don’t see the difference between a bullet, a hakapik or a sharp axe; the objective is that death comes as instantaniously as possible.

Mar 11, 2010 1:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
WKaraki wrote:

As long as the animals are not endangered and the hunting is done in a sustainable fashion without affecting the ecosystem, I don’t see the problem. It’s like hunting deer, and killing the animal quickly without causing torture or pain. A hakapik might offend our modern sensibilities, but it’s a quick death, just like a bullet is. It’s definitely more humane than the appalling conditions we keep livestock stock in, especially here in the US.

Mar 11, 2010 2:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Pollvaulter wrote:

Fully appreciating that politician’s carnivorous and cannibalistic nature will continue to grow unchecked if left unopposed, well, what comes next in the food chain? “Soylent Green is people! We’ve got to stop them somehow!”

Mar 11, 2010 4:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LadyJames wrote:

From the video footage that I viewed, death is not instant. They are baby seals – under 3months old. The meat is not salvaged. They club them in the head, not to be humane but to not damage the fur or body of the animal. Some of them are skinned while still alive and their bodies thrown back in the water. I don’t know where parliament got it’s seal but it was not from the footage of last years slaughter.

Mar 12, 2010 12:57pm EST  --  Report as abuse