Wal-Mart in $86 million settlement of wage lawsuit

DocTgo5 wrote:

…sigh…
Are the pennies saved at WalMart worth killing the middle class? Corporate greed wins again while local businesses and underpaid, disadvantaged employees pay the price. …sigh….

May 12, 2010 11:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Pilot wrote:

Isn’t it exciting how Walmart can be legally extorted to pay monies? I hope the rich communist labor organizations choke on the money they steal.

May 12, 2010 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Brenna47 wrote:

Many of us do not like or approve of Walmart’s mistreatment of their employees among other practices; however, I don’t want to see another group of people without a job if we stop shopping at Walmart. I’d like to know what the workers want us to do. If they want us to protest by not shopping there, I would honor that. In this bad economic time, I feel best doing what the victims would like us to do.

May 12, 2010 11:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse
bored_daily wrote:

How sad: 232,000 workers will only receive roughly $370.69 from the settlement.

May 12, 2010 11:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Curly wrote:

Wal Mart is the largest employer of older persons. The wages they pay is also not bad. I worked for Wal Mart for about 6 years and no time did the management ask me to work off the clock nor did they not pay me for vacation or any other pay that I was owed. My raises came along on regular Schedule. I have no complaints about Wal Mart. Because of Wal-Mart many people have been able fo feed and cloths themselves and their families much better than if Wal Mart did not exist.

May 12, 2010 12:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
philwoodman wrote:

Making huge profits by stealing from your workers is like selling your children into slavery. If it was an isolated case I wouldn’t think it was unusual, but they are being sued by employees all over the US for the same thing. They are obviously breaking the suits up into a lot of small regional pieces so it isn’t so visible to their investors.

May 12, 2010 12:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
saucymugwump wrote:

Pilot wrote: Isn’t it exciting how Walmart can be legally extorted to pay

Hey, genius, have you noticed how Sears, JC Penney, and virtually all other retailers never make the news for such stories? That’s because they treat their employees like humans.

The best solution to the Walmart problem is for a union to be forced down their throat. Until then we will see one record settlement after another.

As for the “rich communist labor organizations,” maybe you could try listening to something other than Faux News.

May 12, 2010 1:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
DenverDave2 wrote:

I must be missing something. This is still a mostly free country (less freedom every day, but still mostly free).

If working for Walmart is so horrible, leave and find an employer who doesn’t “steal” from you!

Walmart pays their employees to work there, and inherent in that is that the employees are willing to trade their time and effort for that pay.

The vast majority of us must approve of Walmart, because we happily give them our money in exchange for goods – more so than with Sears or any other retailer.

May 12, 2010 4:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse