Exclusive: Over a million immigrants land U.S. jobs in 2008-10

Comments (79)
ARJTurgot2 wrote:

Want to get the Dems interested in solving this problem pass an amnesty law that excludes the possibility of ever being allowed to vote.

Jan 20, 2011 9:44am EST  --  Report as abuse
SanPa wrote:

ARJTurgot2: Let’s not forget that illegals were crossing the border in droves during the GOP-led post-9/11 security years preceeding 2006. Promises of no amnesty simply means that illegals will be granted legal work permits but no citizen ship. Neither party really wants the problem resolved in a way demanded by the People … Dems see a pool of potential future voters and the GOP’s masters want an endless, cheap labor supply.

Jan 20, 2011 11:54am EST  --  Report as abuse
BornPolitical wrote:

What are you worried about? These are jobs that Americans won’t do anyway.

NOT!!!

Jan 20, 2011 12:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse

And so it goes, the illegals immigrants get the jobs, the legal immigrants, if you call it that, (anchor babies) get the unemployment checks, welfare, fully paid (by taxpayers) medical care. The cycle continues, everybody is happy, except the poor taypayer that is getting poorer. Soon the taypayer will need to get a second job to make ends meet.

Jan 20, 2011 12:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
esahc wrote:

Think about the various impacts on America of adding BY FIAT as new voters multi-millions of predominantly poor, ignorant and unskilled illegals. Do we need this? Will this benefit America? Some Republicans and most Democrats continue to push this outcome for their own self-serving reasons, that are obvious. Think about what this would affect our legacy to our children and grandchildren.

Jan 20, 2011 12:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
searain wrote:

Analysts often ask what tech firms like Microsoft should do with their cash hoards.It would be nice if they were willing to use some of it to hire Americans instead of paying off the politicians to get thousands of visas for really cheap foreign hires.What is going on is a travesty.

Jan 20, 2011 12:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse

The employers are lying. There are jobs that many unemployed Americans would happily do, except that the employers want labor without strings – which means low wages, no benefits, no safety laws, no payroll taxes, no documentation and no threat of litigation.

They ought to be ashamed when they say “What hiring?” They know full well that they are hiring – it’s just not on the books. They are hiding their hiring the same way Enron cooked the books, at the expense of the unemployed and the American econmy.

America’s unemployed should protest!!

Jan 20, 2011 12:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
p3orion wrote:

There aren’t any jobs being done by illegals that Americans won’t do, just jobs that they won’t do for the same low pay. Because illegals have the threat of deportation hanging over their heads, (and because there are often no taxes being withheld from their pay) they are able to accept a much lower wage. It’s not a level playing field.

Demand that employers hire only legal immigrants or American citizens, and enforce the law with hefty fines for violations, and the going pay for various jobs will rise to a level that Americans are willing (and able) to accept. Yes, this will cause some disruption in some industries, and increases in prices as the employers seek to cover the new, equitable labor costs.

However, the illegals, no longer able to find work, will self-deport back to Mexico or wherever they came from, lowering the cost of many things (healthcare, education, welfare, etc.) where they are now a net burden on our society.

Jan 20, 2011 12:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
26234HDS wrote:

It is so sad seeing America in a very fast mode of self-destruction! While the US borders are open for anybody to just walk in, the American Imperialistic Militarism circles the globe and at war almost continually, a whole nation of illegals settled in and where even their language is treated equal to English any and everywhere one looks. Enogh said for now!

Jan 20, 2011 12:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
littleleers wrote:

The old tired saying that the illegals take jobs that Americans don’t want just doesn’t hold water any longer. I live here in Seattle and for years, illegals would come to eastern Washington to help harvest crops and work in the orchards. Most of them would return home.

Fast forward….and illegals are now the cooks for chain restaurants. Even with lots of home and commercial construction here in the Pacific Northwest, the vast majority of workers were illegals. These construction jobs used to pay a decent living wage for citizens. Those skilled construction workers have been shoved out by having their wages undercut by illegals. The border needs to be sealed….end of story.

Jan 20, 2011 1:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
esahc wrote:

Wallace_Clever’s comments are on-the-mark!

Jan 20, 2011 1:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Ranger01 wrote:

I have been in Information technolgy 20+ years. Companies outsourse to save money, and it is killing jobs. There is no job security. There are foreiners on Green cards, working for the State taking jobs from highly qualified Americans. It should be law, that citizens come first. There should be work permits given by the state only after unemployment for citizens (US born) or legally imigrated) reaches 1%. I work contract because there are no companies hiring permanent employees.

Jan 20, 2011 1:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
pvbeachbum wrote:

Let’s hope that Ezequil Arugzu was fired, arrested and fined. the same goes for Sundt Construction, who’s president should be fined and thrown in jail. “….jobs that Americans don’t want” does not hold one iota of truth to it. Everify TODAY. And fine and imprison employers who take away jobs from American citizens.

Jan 20, 2011 2:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

This issue is a smoldering wick that will ignite as the number of unemployed illegal immigrants increases while chronically unemployed/underemployed citizens begin to seek any job they can to survive. As unemployment benefits run out for our citizens, the problem is made worse. The Congress and President need to wake up to this reality rather than rewarding illegality in hopes of buying votes for citizenship. The bottom line is that citizens must be politically engaged if we are to maintain employment for our own people…or else Congress and the White House will surely keep looking the other way and rewarding the behaviors that will destroy our middle class.

Jan 20, 2011 2:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
boeing46 wrote:

With our country filled with immigrants that take all the jobs that our young used to do like all the construction trades that payed well union or not and not even college grads can find work we are doomed. Government and private unions have just asked
for too much so the private union jobs have been moved
to 3rd world countries. All our governments are broke
because of the massive benefits packages and high
salaries. I’m glad I’m retired and I’m older so I don’t
have to see our country fall as far as it is going to.

Jan 20, 2011 2:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse

This is a patrician-led subsidized labor force that will not be responded to in either political party.

If you live in Houston…please visit www.stopthemagnet.com to help bring E-Verify to ALL EMPLOYERS on a citizen-led ballot measure for 2012. Must be City of Houston registered voter.

Jan 20, 2011 2:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

It’s not enough to talk about this issue. Citizens see the destruction every day caused by uncontrolled migration while many in Washingtion look the other way or even promote this illegality by pushing amnesty and entitlement schemes as a way to buy future votes. Citizens must get politically involved by supporting organizations like FAIR and NumbersUSA and be active in calling and e-mailing their representatives. Only mass intervention by concerned citizens will stop this attempt to hi-jack the political and economic future of our citizens.

Jan 20, 2011 2:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Greenspan2 wrote:

So nice to see all those small businesses that are suppose to be the major backbone of main street and the American economy providing jobs to illegal immigrants. How patriotic. As to the construction hires, with all of the lay offs in construction, the skilled illegal immigrants are being hired at lowball wages. Same for the health care industry. If more low skilled labor really is needed, then maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to phase out vocational training in the public high schools. Wonder how many social problems could be solved by providing job training to the difficult to employ who already live in this country.

Jan 20, 2011 2:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bonscottlives wrote:

I REEEAAALLLY want to know the jobs, ‘Americans turn their noses up at or ‘lack the skills to do’.

Oh wait, this is a Reuters article.. is there any possibility the aforementioned and the AP swap writers? hahaha

First and foremost, ‘cut’ the head off the dragon. The business owners employing these aliens. E-Verify and unannounced work visits for starters.

Secondly, Obama and Holder quit touting, ‘..a broken immigration system..’ and allow the CURRENT IMMIGRATION LAWS TO BE IMPLEMENTED, as well as Arizona’s 1070 to go forth.. for it nearly mimics the DoJ’s immigration law!

Most of these illegals will leave by attrition.

3rd, ENFORCE public schools when registering students every year to provide a SSN. That was the LAW when I was a kid.. and I’m but 35. How this oh so important feature has gone to the wayside is disgusting.

Lastly, ANY time you see an illegal pimping himself for day labor-like work, call the police. Every time. Put the pressure on these Union folks in uniform. Remember they work FOR YOU.

To take a line from the illegal sympathizer musicians, ‘Rage Against the Machine’ – ‘We’ve got to take the power back’!

Indeed…

Jan 20, 2011 2:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ttesq wrote:

Exactly how can the government track and report on those illegals….and there are a lot, who work with false papers and social secutrity numbers? And, if they can track them, why the heck isn’t our government dealing with deportations or criminal prosecutions?

Jan 20, 2011 3:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
BKFranks wrote:

I don’t know about the rest of the US, but here in Southern California illegal aliens are rampant in residential construction. These are jobs that American’s WILL do, but can’t get any more because contractors can easily hire illegals for less than half the cost.

There are a lot of jobs out there not permitted in which any illegal alien without a contractors license can get these jobs. They charge way less because they don’t have to worry about the rules or laws and home owners are happy to pay less. Then there are the general contractors who are citizens that do pull permits, but then sub just about everything to illegal alien contractors. If you think this is just these little mom and pop small sized contractors, you’re mistaken. There are even the big dogs out there with hundreds of employees that are hiring illegals. I have no clue how they get away with it, but they do. The company’s don’t even pay the illegals with a check. Some of the smaller ones just pay cash, but the bigger ones pay with visa/master card gift cards. I’ve seen people that have been deported for various crimes come back to work for the same contractors. No idea how they jumped the border and got back, but they do it.

You’re lucky to see any citizens on a job anymore. You’ll most likely see 95% or more hispanic. I remember about 15 years ago I used to see a lot of black citizens in the drywall industry. They’d make $18 to 20 an hour. I haven’t seen a black citizen hanging drywall in so many years. Illegal immigration has decimated the industry. The contractors are paying those illegals peanuts and by piece rate, meaning they are paid by the piece. The faster they work, the more they make, yet they’re lucky to make $8-10 an hour.

I could go on for hours about the affects of illegal immigration because I’ve been working next to them for almost 20 years.

Jan 20, 2011 3:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
yehlingling wrote:

This article of yours should be read by President Obama, members of Congress and other Americans who promote amnesty and ever-increasing immigration.
Instead of spending hundreds of billions of dollars — money that we borrowed from China and other countries — supposedly to create jobs, the U.S. needs to reform our immigration policy by using China’s as a model.
Yeh Ling-Ling
Alliance for a Sustainable USA

Jan 20, 2011 3:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Agree with Greenspan2 comments. Government should actually enforce workplace laws rather than trying to water them down. The e-Verify is a simple plan that actually requires employers to verify an employees citizenship status by cross checking with the Social Security Department. Apparently this is too radical of a request for some in Congress who oppose it. Under Obama, we’re seeing a major drop in workplace raids by ICE and a general refusal to enforce employment laws designed to protect our citizens. This is strange for someone who claims jobs are number one priority (for whom?). Citizens must make their representatives more afraid of the next election than winning some future demographic of voter. The economic downturn is helping turn the tide but many in Congress are still pushing weak workplace enforcement and opposing e-Verify. Dick Durbin (Senator – IL), Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer, along with Obama are leading the charge. They must be held accountable by the voters, they must hear our voices.

Jan 20, 2011 3:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
victorshultz wrote:

If Bush had done his job and punished the employees who hire them this wouldn’t have been a problem. Obama is the first president to actually start enforcing the laws we have against hiring illegals.

Conservatives want to keep things exactly as they are, they want cheap illegal foreign labor to displace its own citizens so their buddies in big buisness can keep the record profits pouring in. Why outsource when you have conservatives who want to turn American in a 3rd world country….

Why else are conservatives talking about getting rid of min wage, removing child labor laws, deregulating so companies can create unsafe working conditions. Remember BP.

Jan 20, 2011 3:19pm EST  --  Report as abuse
rustyrustbelt wrote:

Many employers prefer illegals in order to facilitate tax and regulatory evasion.

Illegals do not file workers comp claims, call OSHA or call wage-and-hour on overtime violations.

This is journalism?

Jan 20, 2011 3:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Htos1 wrote:

Another one of twenty ways to send admin officials to Leavenworth for abdication of oath of office.you default to natural born citizens,not future voters that you buy.

Jan 20, 2011 3:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AverageJoe wrote:

First of all, you are wrong, there are plenty of jobs “Americans won’t do” When we hire we will take every American that shows up. What you guys don’t realize is besides the fact that hispanics are much better workers, we have to compete with the rest of the world now. As long as you continue to shop at Wal Mart and buy Chinese cheap stuff your jobs are going to continue to disapear. As White American it troubles me to say that Americans have a lousy attitiude and aren’t very good workers.

Jan 20, 2011 3:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
lyntwo wrote:

When will our finance industry white collar jobs be displaced by more experienced foreign workers? When will finance industry executive positions be outsourced?

Will we care?

Jan 20, 2011 3:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tewkewl wrote:

gee… this is a shock. we’ve been saying this for years! stop the open borders. blue collar labor in this country is being HAMMERED by illegals, and obama won’t do jack because he wants to make these illegal aliens part of his voting bloc. I don’t understand it. he is always saying “jobs created or saved”… well you could have SAVED a million jobs without relying on BORROWING OR TAXING if you got rid of healthcare laws AND stopped the border. construction companies would hire americans… see the dems always point out the one person that was saved because of the healthcare law while ignoring the many who lose jobs because of it. how many have lost their jobs because the employer didn’t want to pay for healthcare? let me tell you something. i grew up poor, and when you don’t have money, having a job is more important to you than having healthcare. with a job, you might not pay for healthcare, but without a job you can’t pay for anything… you gotta pick out of the two. most people would pick the job!

Jan 20, 2011 3:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
makaput wrote:

Wow…illegal workers have been taking our jobs. I never would of guessed. Thanks reuters!

/sarc

Jan 20, 2011 3:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
AverageJoe wrote:

White collar jobs are leaving the U.S. in droves. Most large corporations now do their billing out of India and have you called a help desk lately. I’m telling you your NOT going to get paid the same wages as your father if you want a job. Sorry, this is what the “World” economy has done to us.

Jan 20, 2011 4:01pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Kendrick1 wrote:

OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!!! Our employables look at: The hard jobs the immigrants are doing; then they look at: The easy money that comes to them from taxpayers who have worked as hard or harder than the immigrants, after the government has forced it from us!!! WHAREVER’S FAIR!!

Jan 20, 2011 4:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Pilot.Dave wrote:

Sounds like the south after the civil war talking about “Those Africans” – Remember, unless you are pure Native American (are there any left?) we are ALL immigrants or children of immigrants.

But more importantly, when you start talking about “illegal immigrants” – you are not just talking about Latinos running across the boarder, we are also talking about highly skilled people who came here legally and became “illegal” due to no fault of their own – just a broken INS system. I know this first hand after I married a Ukrainian woman legally. Twice, INS has taken my money and failed to do what the law demands of them, resulting in her becoming “an illegal immigrant”. This latest time, we had our Congress man try for 3 months to get them to follow the law – no dice. We had to spend thousands on a lawyer to get her “legal” again. The same thing has happened to ever person I have met here that came here legally from the former USSR.

To make matters worse, INS just increased many of their fees in November, again. One application was $0 on November 1 and over $6,200 on November 30. How can someone possible be faulted when our system is broken ?

Jan 20, 2011 4:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
athensguy wrote:

The generation keeping the Republicans in business is the Baby Boom Generation.

I don’t understand why they would not support easy and legal immigration.

The Baby Boomers are going to face serious cuts to things like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security (OASDI) because the generations that follow are too small to continue supporting them. If the immigrants were made legal, they would create less wage pressure because they would be able to complain about illegally low wages without the worry of deportation. There would also be a larger population of income earners contributing to Social Security and Medicare.

Jan 20, 2011 4:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jb80538 wrote:

It’s a bunch or horse hockey! These “immigrants” are most likely illegals. get them out of the country!

They are also not taking “jobs that Americans won’t do” They have taken over so many trades that an honest white guy couldn’t find a job unless he gets a dark tan ans starts speaking spanish!

Jan 20, 2011 4:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
iflydaplanes wrote:

@Pilot.Dave, you say “How can someone possible be faulted when our system is broken?” So your logic is if the system is broken it’s ok to commit a crime? Nice to know. Well I guess it’s ok for me to rob a bank considering it is a widely held opinion that our financial system is broken also. The difference between your situation and the one this article references is that your wife did not knowingly and willingly disregard the laws of this country by coming here illegally.

Jan 20, 2011 5:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Seacop wrote:

This article is atrocious. Who cares if a legal immigrant to the United States finds work. Good for them. It is the illegal Aliens who infiltrate the system that are the danger to the economy. Your article says it but your title is alarming and only stirs a pot of hate.

Jan 20, 2011 5:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
wrote:

A new report from Family Security Matters that estimates some 2,200 murders are committed every year by illegal aliens in the U.S. The group says that number is more than 15 percent of all the murders reported by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the U.S. and about three times the representation of illegal aliens in the general population.
No other government (including Mexico) has such lackluster border control. If our borders are wide open, this means that drugs, disease, criminals, and terrorists are entering our country. Also what about the cost and damage to education, strain on infrastructure such as health care (how many hospitals are closing down because of illegals ?), and the cost of illegal criminals in prisons. The report from FSM estimates that the 300,000 illegal aliens currently incarcerated in the nation are responsible for nearly 1,300,000 crimes, ranging from drug arrests to kidnapping, rape, and murder.
Stop the insanity before we become a third world country.

Jan 20, 2011 5:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
shredman wrote:

…and the unemployment rate will not go any lower until something is done to curb these illegals from taking jobs away from ‘wanting to work’ Americans. ‘Work Americans aren’t willing to do’ is B.S.

Jan 20, 2011 5:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
David_SD wrote:

Why pay a fair wage to an American when you can hire an Enemy Alien for less? It’s not like there is any enforcement of laws against hiring Enemy Aliens. Too bad it’s too late to impeach Bush, but it’s not too late to impeach Obama!

Jan 20, 2011 6:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Ameriapp wrote:

My company has 21 employees. Six are natural born citizens of the US. 15 are are Hispanic. 10 years ago, we had 40 employees. 35 were American citizens and 5 were Hispanic. Whether they were legal or not I do not know because we went through an employment agency to do our vetting. Now days, we look for skilled able bodied Americans to work for us simply because it is less hassle what with the language barrier and the question of whether or not they are illegal. I get 4 or 5 calls a week from people looking for work. They are all hispanic. In the last few years I have not had more than 2 calls from black or white Americans looking for work. We do construction work and pay our employees the going wage of between 12 and 18 dollars per hour. When we do hire a US citizen, they usually don’t last more then a month before they are locked up for DUI or they are caught stealing because of drug addiction or other miscellaneous infractions of our company rules. As a legitimate business owner, what am I supposed to do?

Jan 20, 2011 6:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Mandy123 wrote:

What a bunch of hooey. I have several family members in construction, who are skilled workers, and they are out of work, having only worked sporadically this year. The old story that illegals are here, doing the jobs that American won’t, is nothing but a lie.

Jan 20, 2011 6:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tcp53 wrote:

This is a false argument. If the local, State, and Federal Govt.s cut off ALL financial assistance (i.e.- food, housing, medical subsidies) to ILLEGAL aliens, they would/could NOT work for the near-slave wages that they are willing to take now! Companies would HAVE to pay a wage that unemployed AMERICAN CITIZENS would accept to do that work. As it stands now, American TAXPAYERS are subsidizing companies (through taxes paying ILLEGAL aliens Govt. benefits) ability to hire ILLEGAL aliens at sub-living wages…….

Jan 20, 2011 6:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Militiades123 wrote:

“Take Our Jobs” is such nonsense.

At what wages I would reply? If there are no illegal farm workers the crops will still get harvested. Farmers will pay higher wages and consumers higher prices. To think that an illegal unskilled immigrant is essential to a society is crazy. Illegals have a cost and a benefit to a country. Unskilled working people pay and those with money benefit. For taxpayers it’s a mixed bag, lower prices but higher infrastructure costs.

Jan 20, 2011 7:13pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

Most employers will hire the best worker they can get. If the illegal has better skills than the American, the Illegal gets the job. Instead of complaining get an education and stay off the crack.
And why is it that employers are supposed to pay for health insurance, what sort of commie came up with that idea.

Jan 20, 2011 7:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
lazerous200 wrote:

We have to quit wasting our tax dollars in forign wars and bring our troops home. We can then use them to patrol our own borders and run the illegals back to where they came from. Every other country in the world militarizes their borders. The US is one of the only countries in the world that has an open border. If this would have bee done fifteen or twenty years ago, I truly believe that we would not have the problems we are having today.

Jan 20, 2011 7:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

Around 2007, a factory in my hometown in pennsylvania fired all the American staff and hired immigrants, some legal some not. Those who say these are jobs Americans don’t want to do don’t know the facts. Americans were doing their jobs when they were fired for cheaper labor.

I agree that children of immigrants who came here through no fault of their own and went to school here and only know American should get their citizenship. We can’t send back American loving children, however, most immigrants are not children.

Both the republicans and the democrats don’t understand the anger of Americans on this issue. The republicans are worse, because they pretend to be on our side when they are really on the side of the corporations.

Jan 20, 2011 9:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

We should do what the Chinese and other nations around the world do. Make sure all foreigners in the country carry their passport at all times and if they live somewhere, they have to registar at the local police station so that the authorities can keep track of them.

Jan 20, 2011 9:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
DelawareBob wrote:

Illegal aliens are destroying this Country, and one would have to be almost blind not to see this. How much longer do we have to support these illegal aliens? How much longer do we have to school their illegal alien children? How much longer are we going to let them have our jobs? How much longer are we going to put up with all the crime, stolen identities, forged documents, fake green cards? How much longer are we going to allow these illegal aliens to send money out of this Country and bring our Country down? Oh, amnesty will correct all this. WRONG! Nothing will change except we wouldn’t be able to call them illegal aliens any more. Let’s get rid of these illegal aliens! Let’s get them back to their own Country where they belong!

Illegal immigration is a cancer, it has to be eradicated not tolerated.

Jan 20, 2011 9:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

@lazerous200 You are very wrong the only countries that militarize their borders are totalitarian regimes or nations who are the neighbors of totalitarian regimes.

Jan 20, 2011 9:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
smellyecoli wrote:

And where are the legal Americans?? SUCKING UP WELFARE !!!

Jan 20, 2011 9:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

The same issue that Americans face in education is what we face in employment in the US. Companies and schools are looking for diversity. They will hire an Asian face just to show they are diversified racially. Schools do the same. The chinese can get into a good US university with just high test scores. However, an American student needs high test scores, volunteer work, work experience, published papers, good recommendations, foreign language, travel abroad experience, sports experience, band, etc, etc. They put all this extra work on American students and then they wonder why we have lower scores. The chinese don’t need work experience, volunteer experience, travel experience, or sports. They just need the high test score and therefore have more time to study. It is our own nation discriminating against its own people in the sake of diversity. In the meantime, we have more and more unqualified foreign students, specifically from Asia, coming into this country. When they graduate, they still don’t have the work experience, but they get the jobs. It is Anti-locals at its best. And it starts in US universities.

Jan 20, 2011 10:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

@DelawareBob I am sure native Americans agree with you. If only all those Europeans would go back to Europe, the North American tribes and the Mexicans could have their country back.

Jan 20, 2011 10:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
sb25 wrote:

people think that most illegals take the low wages. Not true. I had a friend running a painting company. He was paying his lead painter and illegal $30/hr cash. I know another illegal that actually runs a construction company. He did all his paperwork through his legal immegrant cousin. he owns 2 homes that he bought for investment to flip. That lie just dosent hold up. there are also young americans that need to start working some where that have high unemployment due to illegals. We need a major U turn. VOTE RON PAUL

Jan 21, 2011 12:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
Lataroo wrote:

One way to assist unemployed and underemployed citizens and permanent legal residents in the USA: if our elected leaders do not give us paid employment again at a decent living wage, when the next election rolls around, we will replace them! Count on it!

Jan 21, 2011 1:48am EST  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

@hujintaosson What you have written about Universities in the US is wrong. The better your SAT and admission essay the better uni you can get into.
Community colleges take any high school graduate and then you can enrol in uni. Foreign students also have to complete an english test. Your statements about published papers show that you are confused, to get a PHD or doctorate you need published works but undergraduates BA BSc ASc etc don’t and you would obviously have successfully completed a BA before doing post grad studies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_and_college_admissions
China’s university admission is similar to the US system in fact it is pretty much the same the world over.
The idea that US uni’s would discriminate against US citizens is preposterous.
Australia New Zealand and Iceland have the highest percentage of graduates over 50%. The US has 36% and China only 12% but it has tripled in the last 10 years and most Chinese students do engineering degrees but in the west the arts dominate. Read the facts http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/science-and-technology/oecd-science-technology-and-industry-scoreboard-2007_sti_scoreboard-2007-en

Jan 21, 2011 8:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
US_Voter wrote:

“There is basically no unskilled immigration that is legal. There are basically no provisions in the law for unskilled immigrants,” said Bill Hammond, president of the Texas Association of Business.”
- – – – – – – – – –
Apparently Mr. Hammond isn’t aware of the H-2A and H-2B visa gf programs. He should learn the law and the programs.

Jan 21, 2011 9:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
SeniorMoment wrote:

It is employers and not employees who should be punished for hiring illegal immigrants. However, given that the U. S. population would be shrinking and home prices steadily declining if not for immigrants, I don’t begrudge them getting work, as long as they are legal immigrants.

Legal immigrants tend to be more enterpreneurial than native born Americans which means they often create their own small companies, and ultimately become employers, such as happened with a lot of Somali refugrees in Maine. My maternal grandfather was an immigrant and he built five businesses that I know about, and probably others when he was younger. In his motel, the last business he created, none of the employees were other than native born Americans who were looking for work. In the winter he even provided housing for college students at a low rent rather than look for the occasional winter rourist, so he was both charitable and a successful enterpreneur. He also volunteered with other business owners to keep the town’s tourism business healthy with a major event that could not have been economically possible without a lot of volunteers.

Jan 21, 2011 9:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
d3v wrote:

Why not make it easier for employers to hire and fire native workers? Deregulate the process. Remove the mandatory health care benefits, minimum wage, taxes for low paying jobs and other such regulations that make native workers uncompetitive compared to migrants. That would be best thing to do in a free market economy. Coldly capitalistic but I bet it would be very effective in reducing unemployment.

Jan 21, 2011 10:32am EST  --  Report as abuse
grantrl78 wrote:

the other 20 million of them live in southern california and sit at home collecting welfare checks and food stamps.

Jan 21, 2011 5:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse

In these tough financial times my competitors have resorted to hiring illegal immigrants and paying them “under the table”. I am trying NOT to lay off my employees but make it really tough for me to compete. It is almost like a competition here of how many illegals they can have.

Jan 21, 2011 5:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
grantrl78 wrote:

I hate to break it to you pilotdave but the us immigration system isn’t broken. It is designed to keep this country from being swamped by tens of millions of uneducated, unskilled, no english speaking poverty stricken third world invaders from failed states like mexico. the us tax payer can’t possibly absorb every poor person who wants to live here. period. the only thing that is broken is the will of the us government to enforce the law.

Jan 21, 2011 6:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

sb25, if we voted for Ron Paul, we would all spell as bad as you do.

Sinbad1, you are wrong again. I was talking about grad school when I mentioned published articles. And, I know a few people who were turned down with good scores because of a lack of extra-curricular activities. Also, many schools still use affirmative action policies, but instead of admitting local minorities, they use these policies and admit foreigners based on skin color. As for China, it doesn’t matter how much some paper or article says extra-curricular activities are important; they just don’t do it. But, they still get into good US schools even without the same amount of experience as American students. Like I said, American students have to have extra-curricular activities as well as the test scores. Foreign students only need test scores, and therefore, have more time to study and get a better score. I studied my graduate degree in China and needed a Chinese proficiency test called the HSK as well as the extra-curricular activities. But, my Chinese classmates still only needed the test. You are making your claims by some random wikipedia articles, and I am making my argument based on experience. But, you are probably one of these foreigners I am talking about, so you think I am wrong because I am targeting you.

By the way, if you knew anything about statistics, you would know that the Chinese and American graduate rates are lower than those other countries you mentioned, because we have a larger population. It takes a lot more to get a higher percentage rate with more people. However, the US does have one of the highest percentages of people with degrees in all ages and one of the highest literacy rates in the world.

Jan 21, 2011 7:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

Pilotdave, as someone whose family is part native American, I find it insulting that you ask the question “are there any left.” Learn something about the current Native American population. We don’t want the illegals in the US either, because the jobs they are taking are ours, not yours.

Jan 21, 2011 7:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mad2112 wrote:

Jobs Americans won’t do-like building houses? roofing? brickwork? sheetrock? The feds really do have their heads up their…Do you realize that the no.1 protester against fining employers of illegals in Alabama was the Alabama Home Builders Association? Hmmm, imagine that…If we could make the political system what it was designed to be we would not have these problems. Of course political reform is impossible when those in power refuse to relinquish it. By the people for the people REMEMBER? Serve your term or two with honer. Go back into society and go back to work. Live by the laws you helped to pass.Politics is NOT supposed to be a career. You take a leave of absense from your teaching position or factory or hire somone to help with the farm- you take your insight into the ACTUAL problems facing most Americans- you pass legislation that is fair and actually helps people- NOT JUST RICH PEOPLE. Live in the REAL world and you will see that affordable housing is a myth because illegals have snapped up the cheapest ones, you will see that affordable used cars are a thing of the past because of the demand for them by illegals, you will see that none of the trades pay a living wage anymore because you cannot pay your rent and insurance and support a family with the same pay as someone who does not abide by the law. Why are they protected anyway? Who decided that they have ANY rights other than to get out? I was taught that the constitution was for the prtection of citizens.Go to Mexico (or any other country) as a U.S citizen and see if they will let you work without a visa and a backround check. You cannot get off the plane in Bermuda unless you have a roundtrip ticket. They want to make sure you will leave and do not seem to be violating your rights when they do it…Go to Germany and ask to get on food stamps.HAHAHAHAHA….

Jan 21, 2011 8:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

hujintaosson I find it hard to believe that you have a degree but do not understand that graduate school is where people who have already completed a university degree go to get even more education and become professors etc. So you can read and write in mandarin, a difficult language but struggle to express yourself in english. How would you have any experience of the US university system if as you state you went to uni in China. What was your degree in BS.

Jan 22, 2011 2:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

Sinbad1. I can read just fine. Obviously you didn’t get it that I got my graduate degree in China. Obviously, I studied my undergraduate degree in the US.

I’m glad you think you know so much about me based on nothing at all. It shows your arrogance more than anything. Why don’t you write anything with substance? All you do is get on here and bash the US. When you aren’t bashing the US, you are calling people names because they don’t agree with you. I hate to tell you this, but not everyone in the world is going to agree with you. Grow up.

Jan 22, 2011 8:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

Sinbad1, BTW I’m sorry you can’t understand English enough to understand what I am saying. My writing is very clear in both Chinese and English. And, I am sorry to inform you that there are many Americans in China who speak fluent Chinese. Maybe you should get off the computer and get out there in that world. It is a big world with many people doing many different things.

Jan 22, 2011 8:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
hujintaosson wrote:

mad2112,

If you come to China to work, study, or even travel, they make you register at the police station everywhere you go. The law is that if you are in an area for more than 24 hours, you have to register. They also have police officers standing at train and subway stations asking for ID. They will also fine you 500 RMB for everyday after the deadline to register if you do not do so. They also make periodic visits to any work place where they know foreigners work to see if they have documentation. We certainly should do the same to the Chinese at least when they come to the US. The freedoms in the US should be for Americans, not the foreigners who visit. They have taken advantage of our system for too long.

Jan 22, 2011 9:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
Marla wrote:

The problem is GREED! And not on the part of illegal immigrants. Business owners are only too happy to pay sub-standard wages and to withhold benefits. If the jobs were not available to them the illegal immigrants would not come.

Jan 22, 2011 11:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
lhathaway wrote:

The huge inflation of housing, and therefore all living expenses like utilities, food and transportation, has made it impossible for Americans to make a living doing these manual labor jobs, no matter how hard they work. The only way to really correct the problem is to bring down the inflated costs of living. But all those people leading the big corporations in charge of every aspect of American life, bankers, energy companies, utilities, farming industries, will continue to cut wages at the bottom to supply an ever cheaper, lower quality product at an ever higher price, to pay their inflated salaries. If we don’t get some kind of a handle on this problem, it will correct itself in a very unpleasant way. We cannot continue this attitude that is led by global corporations. Education is not the answer. We simply must create a society in which all people can make a decent living, whether they are educated or not. The only way to do that is to regulate costs, and yes, to regulate salaries if necessary to keep things from spiraling into orbit. If we don’t do it, China will do it for us, on our own soil. Communism has won folks.

Jan 23, 2011 9:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
shahangreen wrote:

OK, I’m a woman who has worked in the trades and also unskilled construction for 20 years. I wasn’t working behind a desk or holding a flag. I was doing heavy labor and I liked it. (and no I’m not gay) LOL When I started in the early ’90’s, I started at $7/hour, no bennies. I was happy to have a job. Happy to have a job outdoors, as I hate office jobs.

Gradually my pay rose, but I was always an ” independent contractor” not by choice, so also no bennies.

Here is what I saw and experienced:

I saw white guys getting RICH by hiring very hard working semi-, and unskilled illegals. I saw white guys making a living by hiring skilled white guys. I saw white guys hiring skilled and unskilled white guys, hard working and not so hardworking, and finding it not worth the effort to run their own company.

I made very good money when I began working for myself. I became a skilled worker and was making 100k a year during the tech boom years. But you know what? Everyone I knew was a college grad and the fact that I had no degree and got dirty at work meant that I was in a different “social class” than all the people I socialized with. That was not…uplifting.

So, I understand white kids not wanting to go into the trades, but I went back to college after a twenty year break and it was a joke. College tuition is the new NINJA mortgage. Most of these kids are not smart and should not be in college, they should be at a trade school. They are only at college because debt is the only way to create money in the U.S these days. There were MANY chinese students in liberal arts classes with very rudimentary English. Why are they there? They pay about five times the tuition of a resident.

Jan 23, 2011 11:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
minipaws wrote:

And American Corporations shipped 2million jobs overseas! So let’s print more money to fix a problem that we think is caused by the economy. Duh!

Jan 24, 2011 6:53am EST  --  Report as abuse
sheffboyrd wrote:

Everybody saying that Americans would do these jobs doesn’t want to face the reality that Americans don’t want to. They expect a certain standard of living most illegal immigrants are willing to forgo to get a job in this country. Show me the born and raised American that is willing to work for $10/hr cleaning with no benefits after being laid off from a $50k+/year job and I’ll agree with this argument. I’ve yet to see examples of this because Americans are happier collecting long term unemployment benefits from their fellow taxpayers, which is more money than these low paying jobs, than get back to work doing something they feel is ‘beneath’ them.

Jan 24, 2011 10:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
vialli10 wrote:

I thought everyone was using E-Verify.

Jan 25, 2011 12:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SeaWa wrote:

One problem is that immigrants are being hired by other immigrants, and many of the skills they speak of are the ability to speak spanish in order to work side by side with or provide services to other immigrants. As far as Americans not wanting the work, that is at best a myth, at worst a perpetrated lie. If there are skills to be learned in any industry, including constructions, let them be taught to the American youth, not automatically given to the immigrants. How difficult are these skill to acquire anyway? We aren’t talking rocket science here. Again: Immigrants are not only displacing american workers, but it has the domino affect when they start choosing to hire other immigrants because of their shared culture and language. They will continue to work their way up the ladder. You hiring managers will be losing your jobs to immigrants, then the professionals and the leadership can start worrying as well. No one will be safe in this invasion.

Jan 25, 2011 3:27pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SeaWa wrote:

btw, I hired americans to re-roof my house. The work quality is great and it’s easier to communicate, which increases efficiency. And I’m more comfortable as a result. Furthermore, I mow my own lawn and clean my own house. Get a grip America, we don’t need to hire illegal immigrants. Neither do corporations and contractors.

Jan 25, 2011 3:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
neeros wrote:

So…lets see….America has a pretty high unemployment rate. Illegal immigrants come to America and are working jobs at lower wages than the going rate Americans are willing to work at. Corporate America likes cheap labor, does not really care who does the work. Sounds like bussiness as usual.

When are the politicians going to figure out that they need to put Americans first? Force the illegal immigrants to register, and work at going rates. Force corporate America into e-verify. The illegal immigrants either register, or don’t work. This shadow economy has to go.

Jan 26, 2011 3:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
djlowballer wrote:

hujintaosson,
The reason Chinese students need to take the test is because the test is just the culmination of a lifetime of grinding rote learning. Their education system is different from ours. When I applied to 台大 I didn’t need to pass TOP at all (HSK is only for mainland). I needed to go through interviews and the process like I did for US undergrad because extra curricular activities and such are the metrics by which America measures a good student.

An American student who has the dedication and drive to fill out what is considered a “Good American Applicant” did the same amount of work as the Chinese student who spent their childhood between buxibans, classes, and other cramming just to pass that test. This is why they are evaluated differently.

Jan 26, 2011 10:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.