Chinese hackers infiltrated five energy firms: McAfee

hujintaosson wrote:

This is exactly what happened to google. Chinese hacked into their system, and the Chinese government refused to investigate. The Chinese government can’t even abide by their own laws.

Feb 10, 2011 3:15am EST  --  Report as abuse
THeRmoNukE wrote:

I’m no fan of this blatent theft, but I’m sorry, if they got in through the website or through virus e-mails, these companies deserved to get their data stolen. It’s like if I left a $100 bill half under a rock in my front yard and then got upset when I found it stolen overnight.

Feb 10, 2011 9:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
varela wrote:

I agree with THeRmoNukE if these companies can’t secure their website and train their employees about some of the easier hacks then I have no compassion for their loss.

Feb 10, 2011 11:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
ARH wrote:

I am willing to bet $100 on the fact that this was orchestrated by Chinese government officials for the gain of Chinese oil and mineral companies, such as PetroChina, Sinopec, ChemChina, e.g.

Feb 10, 2011 12:42pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Ralphooo wrote:

“Infiltrated” is not the ideal word for this headline. Use of “infiltrated” suggests that one or more human beings physically entered the property under guise of being employees.

Feb 10, 2011 2:51pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Ralphooo wrote:

“… if they got in through the website or through virus e-mails, these companies deserved to get their data stolen. It’s like if I left a $100 bill half under a rock in my front yard and then got upset when I found it stolen overnight.”

Not quite. It’s as if you locked your house with a low-cost lock, and then a thief picked the lock, went inside, and stole your $100 bill. Maybe you should have bought a better lock, and put bars on your windows, and installed a burglar alarm, and hired a night watchman. Nevertheless, the thief still broke the law and should be arrested. How else could that work? There is always some way to break into any house if an intruder is able to spend time and money doing it.

Feb 10, 2011 2:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mosahlah wrote:

This is war, and the other side is attacking. Not only is it a war, it is also a technological race. The only way I see to counter this assault is to engage with all our heart. The next branch of military service should be the Department of Cyber Warfare. It should recruit directly from the campuses of our nations High Schools and Universities. It should deploy with haste. It should recognize and reward valor nationally. There’s a lot of chinese PCs running pirated Microsoft operating systems. I wonder how fast we can turn the tide of battle?

Feb 11, 2011 8:58am EST  --  Report as abuse