The world still thinks Americans are "coolest": poll

cattz wrote:

Ya….right…ha ha ha! Don’t fool yourselves…People from the US wear a Canadian flag when they travel the rest of the world.

Sep 06, 2011 11:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RMRCal wrote:

I don’t know any Americans who own anything with a Canadian flag on it. What are you, Belgian?

Sep 06, 2011 12:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
nottslassuk wrote:

Well, that’s a reason why I don’t think the Americans are necessarily the coolest people; what rude comments to make. And you seem to poke a lot of fun at your Northern American neighbours, for no discernable reason. Italians are cool, so are the French, particularly the Parisians.

Sep 06, 2011 6:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Cid wrote:

Sweet, Americans the most cool nation. Nah, just boring stereotypes !

Sep 06, 2011 7:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mkblev wrote:

Snoop Dogg, Lady Gaga, Samuel L. Jackson, Johnny Depp and Quentin Tarantino, Obama,Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Steve Jobs–these people are representative of Americans?

Does the rest of the world really think that all Americans are entertainers, politicians or CEO’s? Really? Did the pollsters question only 8-year olds in other countries?

This piece is an embarrassment to the memory of the great news organization Reuters used to be.

Sep 06, 2011 8:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
lphock wrote:

It is better to do global average grid size of nationality! It may prove something!

Sep 06, 2011 10:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Remember New Orleans. How cool is that.

Sep 06, 2011 12:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse
skeeelz wrote:

I guarantee you neither ThomasAnderson or RMRCal has ever traveled overseas. If they had, they’d know what asses they just made of themselves. You see PLENTY of Americans wearing the Maple leaf. Get out once in a while. Maybe read a book.

Sep 06, 2011 12:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse

As a Brazilian American, it feels pretty cool!!! To be completely happy with this cool pool, my grand mother immigrated to Brazil at the time of Spanish Civil War. I always felt cool, but now I feel really “coolest!” LOL

Sep 07, 2011 1:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
tezz74 wrote:

Americans are surely the coolest… No doubt. I’m actually Belgian (so the uncoolest person on this planet) and whenever i meet an American and i tell him/her that i’m from Belgium they reply with: “wow, man i love Amsterdam”, haha. It looks like Americans are so cool, that they even create their own worldmap.

Sep 07, 2011 4:21am EDT  --  Report as abuse
browsing wrote:

As and American I think this list uncool when Dubai not on the list ..

Sep 07, 2011 4:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Megacharge wrote:

@cattz Yes they do. Not so much because they are ashamed of who they are but so they basically don’t get murdered.

Sep 07, 2011 5:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Megacharge wrote:

This poll sounds rigged TBH, not that Americans are not cool, some of them are quite cool, but this whole thing just comes across as incredibly bias and well, rigged.

Sep 07, 2011 5:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
browsing wrote:

@Cattz As American I wear my flag on my sleeve when traveling ..I have never been assaulted while traveling

Sep 07, 2011 5:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
brian-decree wrote:

How is this News???

Badoo is a strange social networking site…

Can you at least tell us what nationality the majority of the voters were? Or even the nationalities themselves?

Without this information the survey means nothing…

Sep 07, 2011 7:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
brian-decree wrote:

Thomas Anderson, I’ll be his proof.

I’ve travelled all over the world and seen many US travellors do this, and admit to it..

Americans are so hated for their arrogance, loudness and wars that it’s actually dangerous to admit your’e an American.

Sep 07, 2011 7:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse
brian-decree wrote:

Browsing, as an American you should know that Dubai is not a people…

Where have you travelled by the way? Britain?

American’s rarely travel outside a few fiendly countries. I’ve seen 20 times more Dutch people on the trail than Americans…

Sep 07, 2011 7:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JMain wrote:

Must be an interesting sample they are working with. Everywhere I travell, Americans are considered nothing but trouble.

Sep 07, 2011 8:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Can1 wrote:

For the past 20 years I have travelled extensively as I am in the travel industry and absolutely Americans wear Canadian flags all the time on shirts, back packs etc..It is true they are not ashamed but feel safer this way. Unfortunately, most times Americans act loud, arrogant and rude and people in other countries know the difference between Canadians and Americans..I’ve heard it over and over.
There are alot of cool Americans though but the obnoxious ones give America a bad name..

Sep 07, 2011 9:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
guju wrote:

“The world”? 30,000 people from 15 countries, brainwashed by American TV shows.

Sep 07, 2011 10:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sylsmith wrote:

If cool means rude and ignorant…then yes, I agree with this poll. I am a Canadian who moved to Texas for work and yes, they do seem to think it’s cool to be uneducated and knocked up by 16. I guess it all depends on your definition of cool. As for Americans wearing Canadian flags on their clothing – please stop.

Sep 07, 2011 11:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
nsmith212 wrote:

Well it looks like some people might be jealous. I’m an American studying abroad in Bulgaria for a year. We’re cool because of pretty much everything. If you want to be cool try inventing something, make a great movie, win a few world wars, land on the moon, win the olympics or maybe invent some awesome music. Oh and don’t forget about the marshall plan. We’ve pretty much invented everything everyone uses on planet earth so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Sep 07, 2011 11:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sopho wrote:

I’m pretty sure the definition of “cool” is based on the percentage of homes with an air conditioner. Science!

Sep 07, 2011 1:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Seriously_1 wrote:

Guess the people voting American’s ‘the coolest’ haven’t spent time at the local Golden Corral or at a McDonalds….

Sep 07, 2011 1:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jonnyd wrote:

As cool as Brazil? YESS!!! Awesome!! The reason the rest of the world (aside from Haters here) think we’re the coolest is that rather than spend time spreading a bunch of negativity we would rather just create something new. Certainly we have our problems (wars, Texas, etc), but which country doesn’t. I hope you understand that we’re loud because we’re excited to be part of something new, we’re obnoxious because we’re taught to believe in ourselves, and we’re a bit ignorant because we’re overworked. But we believe in the future – jazz, rock and roll, hip hop, Madonna/Michael/Gaga; Levis 501, Converse All Stars, light bulbs, democracy. Just say thanks. Now, you can spend your time crying about it, or you can do the American thing and try to get your country cooler so you win next time around. You’re welcome Earth. Congrats top 5 – we’re honored to be in your company.

Sep 07, 2011 2:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thelveres wrote:

You know you will never get the standing you once had ever again when you start to turn to dating site polls in search for any positive feedback.

Sep 07, 2011 2:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
WaqarNYC wrote:

I agree with some of the statements made here, and who use the so call Badoo or whatever? Reuters even considered the demographics of the people who voted? Come Reuters, you should have better managed your time and our time for focusing on something more valuable to us. We don’t need to waste our time on some nonsense…Tomorrow, try getting poll from other mediums such as Craigslist…probably lol…you got to look at the demographics of the people who actually visit these sites…

SHAME ON you REUTERS, I thought you were better then CNN, but slowly and probably the economy has spinned your head around?

Sep 07, 2011 3:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Stager wrote:

But Brazil has the coolest (hottest?) grandmothers …

Sep 07, 2011 3:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
PatFitz4 wrote:

of course american is the coolest nationality. we have NYC and LA, Hip Hop, Rap, Jazz. Singers like Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Jack Johnson, etc. We have one of the coolest leaders, Obama. we’ve made the majority of the greatest films of all time. the entire west coast is amazing, especially california. we have some of the most innovative and coolest companies in the world: Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, Coca Cola, GM, GE, IBM, LEVIS, Ray Ban, I could just go on. of course, we have the wars, the GOP and problems with overweight people, but other than that, dude, we are pretty cool.

Sep 07, 2011 5:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dav8d777 wrote:

Well at first I didn’t think the Belgians should worry overly much about being the least cool, but when I saw that the Turks and Poles finished behind them it gave me a new perspective.

Sep 07, 2011 5:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BudWheizzah wrote:

Ouch… Steve Jobbs wasn’t cool he is a psychopath. Steve Jobbs made being a psychopath a cool thing, promoted slave labour in China, defended horrible work conditions for even his own staff in America and evaded child support for 15 years all while being blind rich. One of the persons I’d have wiped off the earth more than any other. A piece of mankind’s garbage.

Sep 07, 2011 6:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ramognino wrote:

Pfh, I thought US-Americans didn’t care about what others thought about them. :-P

And never mind that this is from the demographics who use Badoo. Not exactly a population sample that can be said to represent the world or even close to it. Russia, Brazil, Mexico, France, Spain, and Italy are Badoo’s biggest users. Which, knowing that, makes perfect sense on which nations got on the list and also which nations were rated the least coolest.

Sep 07, 2011 7:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
nolemming wrote:

Ramongnino – well said. loosers voting on a looser dating web site voted themselves cool. Yeah you guys just keep telling yourself that.

Sep 07, 2011 9:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jdl51 wrote:

I guess as an American married to a woman from Barcelona that would make us super cool, just don’t tell that to my kids. And as someone who has traveled a bunch, I don’t recall seeing Americans running around with Canadian flags, or any flag for that matter. I do hear complaints from Canadians that they are mistaken for Americans, which really seems to bother them to no end.

Sep 08, 2011 9:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Megacharge wrote:

@jdI51 Of course it would bother them, it would scare the hell out of them more than anything knowing that certain people think they are U.S.-Americans.

They should be afraid, despite what this poll says, people do not like U.S. citizens, and to be mistaken for one would be a frightening and potentially deadly situation.

Sep 08, 2011 4:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
learnabroad wrote:

1 ) I wish my country would start being a bit quieter and stop getting involved with other countries problems, since it rarely seems to help anyone. I guess there must be money to be made, though…

2 ) I live abroad and have been to many countries, and the only instances I’ve heard of Americans wearing a Canadian flag were exchange students and recent college grads working as teachers in South Korea after a traffic accident with the U.S. military resulted in two deaths. Those are hardly accurate representations from which to draw conclusions. It makes about as much sense as a major news organization using a badoo poll to write an article…

3 ) The “ugly American” is usually from middle America. Go to the coasts and you’ll find less obesity and more ethnic diversity.

4 ) Most of the loud and obnoxious Americans abroad are either fresh-out-of-college “English” teachers or American military. The former generally has no experience outside of the states, or even real life experience, and thinks that being drunk is cool, and an unfortunately large portion of the latter is composed of lower-class individuals who are high on pride and low on education and etiquette. Neither should be seen as an accurate representation of real Americans, but these are usually the only Americans whom people get a chance to meet in large numbers. Sorry for that… I don’t like those two groups either.

5 ) The people posting comments here who seem to have the worst attitudes are those who claim to be from countries other than America, which is surprising to me. I expected to see way more posts from teen Americans talking about how cool they think they are. Instead, it looks more like a bunch of teens and early 20-somethings from other countries throwing insults. Congratulations, you’ve now lowered yourselves to the level of American teenagers..

Sep 09, 2011 9:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Wormman.com wrote:

I’m Italian and American but my kids don’t think I’m cool.

Sep 10, 2011 7:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mheld45 wrote:

But my whiny, self-righteous liberal associates all say that the rest of the world hates us.

Sep 11, 2011 9:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse