Analysis: U.S. focus on birth control may raise new concerns

flfreethink wrote:

Birth control should be added to all food supplies and in the drinking water as well. We are at 7 Billion on this planet, and that is not sustainable. Since females refuse to be responsible and are overly emotional, the thinking needs to be done for them since they don’t possess a brain. Turn off the baby making machines and concentrate on careers and financial responsibility.P.S. I am a female and I have acted responsibly.

Dec 11, 2011 2:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
James271 wrote:

To quote flfreethink: “Since females refuse to be responsible and are overly emotional, the thinking needs to be done for them since they don’t possess a brain.” Well, it is after all a free country and in this day and age I guess even women can be misogynists. Anybody think it’s ironic that someone whose user id is “flfreethink” believes that people are too dumb to think for themselves. If supposed “free thinking” is synonymous with the highest form of intellectual fascism, then I suppose not.

Where have I heard that before by the way? Gosh, sounds so familiar, something about limiting the reproduction of a populace not advanced enough to take care of themselves but who instead spread like a virus. Some German guy comes to mind, I get the feeling that didn’t turn out well. Well, as they say, you either learn from history or you’re doomed to repeat it.

Dec 11, 2011 4:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kvgrove wrote:

Gee,when I studied the reproductive system in nursing school,I guess I was absent the day the instructor taught that women were able to become pregnant all by themselves.When are more men going to participate in birth control and accept their share of responsibility? Women have borne the brunt of contraception for far too long. You may have acted responsibly, flfreethink,but your views are antiquated and an insult to your gender.

Dec 12, 2011 8:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
r.felder wrote:

Freethink: I hope you’re adding birth control to your OWN food. I agree with you: people like you shouldn’t reproduce.

Dec 12, 2011 9:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
ErnestPayne wrote:

Birth control is a matter of science and a personal decision. Denying it to a few is denying it to all. Another case where politics should be kept out.

Dec 12, 2011 10:11am EST  --  Report as abuse
AlkalineState wrote:

“Critics say the morning-after-pill — meant to be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sexual intercourse to prevent a pregnancy — could lead to promiscuity…”

Maybe this is what happened to Newt Gingrich, and why he’s on his third marriage after two affairs. He was hooked on the morning-after pill.

Dec 12, 2011 11:51am EST  --  Report as abuse
Cranberries wrote:

Women really don’t care. They want to be sexually free like men. If that means a risky drug, so be it.

Dec 12, 2011 12:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

Given that social “norms” no longer dictate how to behave due to consequences, something has to be done.

I think the govt should provide free vasectomies and tubal ligation to teens. Both procedures are reversible and can be done once said teen has become a responsible adult wanting children.

Dec 12, 2011 1:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

@kvgrove:

This is why men and women are not equal and will never be so no matter how hard you try. The burden always falls on the woman for obvious reasons. It is a double edged sword though. A woman can get pregnant and never tell the father of the child. He can go through life completely oblivious to the fact that he has progeny.

Dec 12, 2011 1:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
nbm09 wrote:

flfreethink said the following:”Birth control should be added to all food supplies and in the drinking water as well. We are at 7 Billion on this planet, and that is not sustainable. Since females refuse to be responsible and are overly emotional, the thinking needs to be done for them since they don’t possess a brain.”

My response: This is the most ignorant thing I’ve read all day. Women do possess a brain, we are not overly emotional, and we are responsible. I speak not just for myself, but for the people I know, both good and bad. I happen to take birth control. Not only do I use it for protection, it helps me live from day to day. Without it, I would not be able to function normally. I would have to stay home a few days out of each month, suffering and in pain and it eliminates cysts that could potentially become cancerous. There are a lot of women out there who rely on birth control pills for similar reasons. And well, there are lots of responsible women who take the pill to be responsible just because it’s the right thing to do. But I would like to note that the pill is only 99% effective in preventing births and do not prevent the transmission of STDs, so condoms must be used in combination with the pill. So put it on a sock, bubba, and take responsibility yourself instead of forcing people to drink birth control pills.

Dec 12, 2011 2:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
nbm09 wrote:

Oh, and back to what I originally wanted to say: I am glad that the morning-after pill is Rx for teens under 17 years of age. I think if you have to get a prescription for regular birth control, it shouldn’t be any different for morning-after pills. Another thing is that if emergency pills would be made available over the counter, teens would try to use it as regular birth control, since you don’t have to have a prescription, and you’re really not supposed to use morning-after pills for regular contraception. It can be dangerous to do that. Also, you shouldn’t be making such big decisions about contraception alone until you’re 18 years of age. Parents should guide their teens to make the best decision, and that’s why I think parents should not be excluded from such a decision process, especially when it comes to an underage girl trying to get a morning-after pill. And yes, I’m well aware that many parents out there probably prohibit their children from using contraception, and I think this is a mistake, but it is an entirely different subject altogether.

Dec 12, 2011 2:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
SkyToLehigh wrote:

I think it is just business as usual… What a joke this blood clot issue is… They should be telling the masses to mind their salads, their greens because they have been genetically modified and they contain way too much Vitamin K (2-methyl-1,4-naphthoquinone (3-)derivatives – Vitamin K1 is also known as vitamin Kj, phylloquinone or phytomenadione (also called phytonadione)… And Vitamin K2.
Too many young people getting embolism all over because they thought it was healthy to live off salads and veggies… Well – WRONG!

Dec 12, 2011 2:45pm EST  --  Report as abuse