Supreme Court to decide Arizona immigration law

Comments (105)
yaspar wrote:

Watch: Obama won’t use the Army to secure the border, but I bet he will send them to prevent Arizona from doing so! What a sick, bizarre, Alice-In-Wonderland country we have become!

Dec 12, 2011 10:29am EST  --  Report as abuse
oldtaxpayer wrote:

Do we come from a free country? Can’t a State pass a law either by it’s representatives or by the direct vote of it’s legal citizens and expect that to be the law of the land? Doesn’t the U.S.constitution give the States the authority to act for it’s citizens? What if in this case the government does not accept it’s responsibility given to it to apply the law evenly and protect it’s borders? There are currently millions of illegals and the Fed’s should be happy that the State helps to remove them and punish them accordingly. This U.S. Government does quite the opposite, as they protect their so called rights to work, a right to free medical care, welfare for their young and now on borrowed money because Obama needs their votes? Now illegals are preferred over our citizens. What a president we have…

Dec 12, 2011 10:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
Sully827 wrote:

The fact of the matter is this should never have been challenged by Obama/Holder. Arizona is trying to assist the Federal government in enforcing existing Federal law.States or cities that grant sanctuary to illegal aliens are the ones violating the law and they should be sued after their Federal funds are cut off.

Dec 12, 2011 10:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
djm159 wrote:

It boggles the mind what part of “illegal” immigrants out justice department, Eric “gun runner” Holter doesn’t understand. If someone is in the country legally they have nothing to fear. If they are not here legally they need to be afraid, very afraid and get out toot sweet. I for one am sick to death of paying for their welfare, their medication, their hospital visits, and their social security payments. Breaking the law is not the way to get here. These people are owned by the democrat party to get their votes. Yes, illegals do vote.

Dec 12, 2011 10:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
RachelD wrote:

So, the Obama administration thinks it is good for the federal government to hold the states hostage in such matters? That is, that the federal government refuses to fully enforce the law, and at the same time desires to prevent the states from doing so, thus condemning them to just suffer in silence all the problems caused them by illegal immigration? And this is somehow a good thing? God help us. Literally.

Dec 12, 2011 10:37am EST  --  Report as abuse
trex2561 wrote:

Just what WE needed. OLLA

Dec 12, 2011 10:39am EST  --  Report as abuse
liquify33 wrote:

I have to carry ID with me everywhere I go. What the heck is so hard about that?

Dec 12, 2011 10:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
czervik7 wrote:

Funny how the Arizona and Alabama laws track Federal Immigration law. Yet, only the state laws are called into contention. Sadly, our attorney general spends more time and resources going after our own states then he does on gun-running criminals, voter intimidators in Philadelphia and master thieves like Jon Corzine.

Dec 12, 2011 10:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
grannie wrote:

Born in Arizona in 1947 and I am liking Jan Brewer.

Dec 12, 2011 10:42am EST  --  Report as abuse
Seraphim wrote:

I hope that the Court upholds the state laws – This article puts the issue out rather clearly, but you have to pay attention – the issue is whether we do what is right, or we do what makes people feel good. Here they are probably not going to be the same thing. But I would guess that any Mexican American or any other newcomer to this country, who has undergone the process of becoming a US citizen, would be with me on this. You all had to work hard for the privilege of being an American Citizen, and these other illegals, good people though they may be, need to do the same, or some sort of legal process for them to come and work here.

The facts speak out very plainly. Mexico itself has very strict immigration policies in place and that are enforced if folks come into that country illegally – so do our European neighbors. What is it about us that emasculates the USA into thinking we just have to “take it?” It is not how people feel, it is the law! I am annoyed that I cannot cross into Canada or Mexico anymore without a passport or some sort of verifying documents, but that’s their law – and they don’t owe me anything for protecting the security of their own nations.

This is liberal sentimentality trying to trump national security. The Mexicans may not be terrorists, but I am talking about any sovereign nation’s right to clearly define its own borders, and we have that right, the same as anyone else. The libs and bleeding hearts – well, you just need to get over yourselves.

Dec 12, 2011 10:43am EST  --  Report as abuse
TRE wrote:

If the su

Dec 12, 2011 10:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
NOBAMA12 wrote:

If the Feds would do their job, the states wouldn’t have to. Sounds to me the States should sue the Feds for dereliction of duty.

Dec 12, 2011 10:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
TRE wrote:

Why have Immigration laws if the government doesn’t enforce them?

Dec 12, 2011 10:46am EST  --  Report as abuse
Longdrycreek wrote:

If from follows function, the Supreme Court will fold 5-4 on this issues. Justice Kennedy will vote with the liberals, and Arizona
will face unlimited immigration, as will the other Border states.
Never mind that states have rights but in the new unconstitutional
U.S., no state has a right other than to sue the U.S. Government and lose.
The noose of bureaucry and judicial activism will soon suffocate the citizens and turn the Nation over to the Democrats and their new voter.

Dec 12, 2011 10:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

To you righties making comments not based upon facts, here is what Obama has done with regards to illegal immigration…

1. Number of Border Patrol agents at record high.

2. Number of illegal border crossings have decreased during his Admin.

3. Number of deportations for illegals accused of and/or convicted of criminal acts have increased.

With regards to oldtaxpayer, maybe you should go read the Constitution before you comment next. The federal law takes precedent over state law in matters like immigration. Lastly, illegals can not vote, so your argument about ‘Obama needs their votes’ is just bogus for that very reason and the ones I stated above.

Dec 12, 2011 10:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
bintn wrote:

If I have to produce a driver’s license when stopped, then they should produce something similar.

Dec 12, 2011 10:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
lchance wrote:

Could the federal government choose to selectively defend a state from foreign intervention. I’m afraid that if the SCOTUS allows the Feds to not uphold states rights, the govt would be able to selectively choose when and where to enforce other constitutional obligations including the defense of liberty, right to bear arms, etc.

Dec 12, 2011 10:56am EST  --  Report as abuse
Cranios wrote:

Lots of question in these comments:
1. “Do we come from a free country?” Yes, we came from one, but it’s clearly not one anymore.
2. “Doesn’t the U.S.constitution give the States the authority to act for it’s citizens?” Yes, but the Supreme Courts ever since FDR’s error have disregarded States’ rights in favor of twisted Commerce Clause arguments.
3. “So, the Obama administration thinks it is good for the federal government to hold the states hostage in such matters? That is, that the federal government refuses to fully enforce the law, and at the same time desires to prevent the states from doing so, thus condemning them to just suffer in silence all the problems caused them by illegal immigration?”
Of course! He is in charge of a revolution, not the President of a Republic.

Dec 12, 2011 10:57am EST  --  Report as abuse
ZombieFighter wrote:

They need to separate the question of “What should the law be?” from “Should we enforce the law?”.

The problem is that the law is fairly clear, but the Federal Government doesn’t want to put forth a level of effort sufficient to enforce it.

Can the executive branch pick and choose which laws they will enforce and which they won’t enforce? Can states codify the Federal Statutes and enforce them as state laws in cases where the Federal Government chooses to not enforce them?

Dec 12, 2011 11:00am EST  --  Report as abuse
flyx1az wrote:

Now lets see if I am getting this right, People who are here illegaly say they are not crimminals they are workers right? Well if they are in the USA without permission then they broke the law, That makes them Crimminals.. DUH…
The debate is not about whats right or whats wrong with the Fed’s Its about why should we let in people who only want to abuse our system and get something for nothing.
They even get SSD, SSI and welfare and heath care and alot more then the people who have been here their whole lives.
I know this country was made up of immigrants my Mom came from Germany and my dad was in the ARMY and a Presidental Honor Guard, But the state dept still told my Mom that if she wanted to come to the USA then she needed to Read, Write, Speak the English Lang before steping on a plane with her husband and three kids.
Now why aren’t the Fed’s Enforcing the laws that have been around forever?
If you pass a law it is for everyone or it’s for no one, no exceptions.
If you don’t like it leave……

Dec 12, 2011 11:05am EST  --  Report as abuse
VA_Magoo wrote:

The Federal Government has NO authority over a State. The people of Arizona voted for and passed the law all within the confines of the Arizona State Constitution. The Feds have NO right to interfere.

Dec 12, 2011 11:08am EST  --  Report as abuse
CIAQWERTY wrote:

Obama swore to uphold the laws of our nation. Yet, he and Eric Holder have repeatedly ran and end-around over those laws they dislike. This alone should be cause for impeachment.

Dec 12, 2011 11:09am EST  --  Report as abuse
uavdb wrote:

@USAPragmatist:

Well, the Obama administration is never correct on numbers anyway, so trusting what your sources tell you about illegal immigration stats you mentioned are to be taken with a grain of salt.
As far as the Constitution goes? If the Feds were really doing their jobs and enforcing our laws to stop illegal immigration, states wouldnt be compelled to try to enforce their own, would they?
If illegals ‘can not vote’ then why all the uproar over requireing photo ID in order to vote? Most Americans have a photo ID.

Dec 12, 2011 11:13am EST  --  Report as abuse
RhinoSniffer wrote:

The solution to this problem is pretty easy. Stiff unavoidable jail sentences for Americans that hire illegal aliens. Make it a mandatory minimum sentence of 1 year in jail for any American citizen that knowingly employs an illegal alien. Make the application of the crime apply to both heads of any household so that husbands and wives must serve the time. Require an approved state identification card for all people who hold jobs and program the state ID check system to be fairly fool proof. They’ll go away when it becomes nearly impossible to get a job.

Dec 12, 2011 11:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
LawyerJeff wrote:

Isn’t it amazing that nobody ever asks Obama or the Justice Department how they can tolerate Sanctuary Cities or Sanctuary States? That is the same thing they are complaining about with Arizona, Georgia, etc. – jurisdictions setting up their own “immigration laws” when the Federal law preempts. So how can they allow San Francisco to say that it doesn’t care what the Federal law is (such as you are not allowed to be here illegally – I know it is a tough concept for liberals, but it’s called a “law”). So they go after States which simply say that we will enforce Federal law, but ignore States or Cities which say we will intentionally prohibit the enforcement of Federal Law. November 2012 cannot come fast enough.

Dec 12, 2011 11:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
happydance wrote:

Nobody on the Left thinks it’s too hard to provide ID when the end result is a big fat monthly benefit check, so what’s the big hardship here? I’ve had it with Democrats. They hate America and want to replace it with Cuba. No thanks Obama.

Dec 12, 2011 11:20am EST  --  Report as abuse
sixguns wrote:

Laws are irrelevant when they are not enforced. Anyone who has taken the oath to defend and protect, yet knowingly refuses should be tried for treason and publicly HUNG. All laws needed are in place. The only reason we have immigration issues is because they have EVERY REASON to come here. Remove the reason and remove the problem. Fences and troops are laughable.

Dec 12, 2011 11:23am EST  --  Report as abuse
IndianaTom wrote:

Pragmatism seems a bit myopic.

1. A record number of borderpatrol agents are stationed in cities to shuffle more paper and do DHS ‘busy work’. Yes we have a record number of border agents, let’s put them on the border and not behind a desk.

2. The reported number of illegals have decreased, since we don’t report this statistic accurately. Face it, you can take any federal statistic and use it or good or evil. The fact that it’s a statistic from the government should tell you that it’s skewed by the party.

3. If the number of deportations has increased why has the reported number crossing decreased? Did we have a huge backlog? If so, wouldn’t the states helping out reduce our backlog?

Our Constitution specifically excludes the Federal government from (literally) anything and gives that power to the states.
As far as voters go, wasn’t Acorn convicted of voter registration fraud in a few states? Everyone says voter registration fraud did not equate to voter fraud. But wait, there’s the illegal population who can use fraudulant votes. So, Senior Mickey Mouse makes my vote irrelevant. And there’s more than a few of us wo aren’t #OWS who are sick and tired of being irrelevant and required to pay for that “honor”.

Dec 12, 2011 11:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
yrdnalffej wrote:

USAPragmatist

Your comments, Though technically correct, are misleading at best.

1. Number of Border Patrol agents at record high.

Yes, May have something more to do with drug cartels and automatic guns at the border.

2. Number of illegal border crossings have decreased during his Admin.

Yes. Might also have to do with the Arizona and other states immigration laws causing the illegals to leave those state or cross in states that are more sympathetic to their cause and not be reported.

3. Number of deportations for illegals accused of and/or convicted of criminal acts have increased.

This one I will give you, I am not sure if you can attribute this totally to Obama. How much is due to the states that have adopted their own laws dealing with the illegal situation?

Do you not see the irony in your last statement? By definition an illegal has broken a law which is a criminal act?

As for your Constitution statement, I have browsed it some and you are correct. A Federal Law takes precedents over State Laws. But, I wonder what a states is to do then if the government create a law it has minimal intent on enforcing and uses it to override a states ability to protect itself?

As for the “Obama needs the votes” Is there voter fraud in the US? If your first thought was Bush Vs Gore Fla. Do you think that only one side does it?

Dec 12, 2011 11:31am EST  --  Report as abuse
AnnyMsMm wrote:

I read comments like the ones posted below daily, and I truly fear that we will come to revolution with so much anger, and yet I think something has to give. It seems that the Constitution has been completely disregarded by this president and Congress. When those that work and obey the laws are forced to pay taxes to support not their families but those that do not produce, and those that are not citizens, then something is so very wrong that revolution is necessary. I sincerely hope this happens in the voting booth, but I am not holding my breath.

Dec 12, 2011 11:35am EST  --  Report as abuse
Jerrell wrote:

The message on the protester’s shirt probably would have been more effective if it had been in English.

Dec 12, 2011 11:49am EST  --  Report as abuse
algonquinmatt wrote:

@USAPragmatist, you aren’t putting the “2+2″ together.

you contend that since illegals can’t vote, that they aren’t going to help Obama.. first of all, you are working under the assumption that they don’t vote. I’m working under the assumption that they do.

Why do i feel that way? well, we know they are here ILLEGALLY and work ILLEGALLY and drive ILLEGALLY.. what is stopping them from voting?

do you wonder why the Democrats are fighting against voter ID laws? this is why.

Dec 12, 2011 11:50am EST  --  Report as abuse
ProudHoosier wrote:

The Mexicans and other 3rd world countries will kill of this nation, the liberlas will help them. Too bad, we had a great nation and the Democrats ruined it. Obama will meet his fate in the next word, where the fires are hot.

Dec 12, 2011 11:55am EST  --  Report as abuse
chillywilly wrote:

First in foremost… Arizona’s law isn’t “tough”. The law is enforcement of existing Federal Laws. I love how the MSM sets this up, so as to trick people to think AZ is going above and beyond the Laws on the books. All AZ is doing is exercising their right to enforce the Law… and they will win.

Dec 12, 2011 11:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
WROL wrote:

The 10th Amendment makes a state sovereign and it does not need the SCOTUS’ permission to do a da@# thing! To hades with the SCOTUS and this nazi government – they all need to be arrested and tried for treason. The SCOTUS once said black skinned people were not human beings; it also once declared that the “government” could forcefully sterilize women and abort their children based in family genetics – and they DID!

Jan Brewer and every governor in this nation should declare nullification on every “federal” “law” or “rule”, and she should tell the SCOTUS to kiss her shiny white arse. BTW: if there are any US troops or NatGuard members mentally challenged enough to allow themselves to go to AZ to enforce a negative SCOTUS ruling, they should be met with the deadly force of 100,000 armed civilians from across this nation coming to the defense of AZ.

Dec 12, 2011 11:59am EST  --  Report as abuse

Does citizenship really count in this country?

Vote in representatives who still believe in the Constitution.

Dec 12, 2011 12:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ChuckWilson wrote:

With regards to USAPragmatist who said “illegals can not vote, so your argument about ‘Obama needs their votes’ is just bogus”
Seems to me that I have seen quite a bit recently about voter fraud, and laws being questioned when it comes to presenting proper id at the voting location. Something about voter intimidation. Makes me wonder who is actually casting votes in this country. Considering the last presidential election I would reckon its the 40+ percent that don’t pay taxes but spend the taxpayer’s dollar. The jigs up folks, one way or the other this ends before the decade does. Chose a side!

Dec 12, 2011 12:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
lindyhop wrote:

This mix of issues should not divide us nor blind us to common sense. Our country will be overrun if the borders are not closed. We can best help our neighbors by preserving and strengthening our economy. Our civil rights have already withstood I.D. checks and background verification by employers to say it is racially motivated misses the point, we all are subject now, enforce the law.

Dec 12, 2011 12:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Savant55 wrote:

The United States of America is the melting pot of the world. Many baby boomers such as myself come from a long line of immigrants from all parts of the world. But our descendents entered the country LEGALLY and worked their rear ends off to support their families. We welcome people who go through the legal process to enter our country. Why this is now in contention is nothing short of political nonsense. It doesn’t have to do with left or right either. It has to do with policitians preserving themselves. VOTE THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE so we can get our country back!

Dec 12, 2011 12:10pm EST  --  Report as abuse
vizimir12345 wrote:

So we are supposed to let anyone that wants to cross the border come over kill, rape take others jobs and just do what they want. This is not how it works all you idiots that want these illegals over here and think that lifes unfair, put your kids into the picture what if they were raped or murdered by an illegal, you know what happens that illegal is shipped back to mexico free with no charges. This is America, Im an American in Texas and if i catch your illegal ass in my yard yuo will catch a bullet

Dec 12, 2011 12:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
bsmdbt2 wrote:

First of all, illegal immigration IS NOT a victimless crime. My daughter has been dealing with the results of her identity being stolen by one of those 12 million illegal immigrants. The left say they pay taxes…they do, taxes come out of their pay checks, but it is my daughter who gets NAILED for not reporting as income the money these CRIMINALS take using her social security number they stole and then dont file at the end of the year, meaning its my daughter who gets screwed by common fraud criminals…thats what illegal immigrants REALLY ARE! Now if the fed dont do something ..WE THE PEOPLE will… I suggest the fed do something NOW , because Im not a politically correct minded person, if someone steals from me or mine…its heavy toll they will pay…Im merciless, especially to criminals.

Dec 12, 2011 12:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kurmudgeon wrote:

Arab Spring!!!! We need an American Spring, The citizens need to purge the garbage that has collected in D.C.. they have made their only job, keeping their job. Arizona has shown the guts to tackle the problem and the Feds are going to use Judges to legislate against the will of the citizens of Arizona. I wish my state legislature would have the balls to do whats right in stead of what it takes to keep itself on the Federal Dole! ( Ct)

Dec 12, 2011 12:20pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Picman wrote:

I assume that the states should not enforce laws againt bank robbery since bank robbery is a federal crime. The Obama administration loves selective enforcement as long as it benefits its agenda.

Dec 12, 2011 12:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
marblue wrote:

I suppose that President Obama doesn’t know that all legall immigrants are required by law to carrie their green card to prove that they are here legally. President Obama and the Democrats could care less about all the Mexicans/Latinos, all they want is their vote, for those that can vote. Mexicans/Latinos do not believe for one second that Obama and the Democrats care about you, they do not, they will lie as they always do.By the way, I’m Mexican and a very proud American citizen now.Love the United States,

Dec 12, 2011 12:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PeterLocke65 wrote:

To USAPragmatist- how about some facts with explanations? The number of agents at the border may have increased (minus one agent Brian Terry), but their hands have been tied by our duplicitous and corrupt DoJ who limits their ability to enforce immigration law and intentionally puts weapons in the hands of narcotrafficers as part of a stated effort (in Obama’s words) to find a back door to increased gun control in this country and diminish the protection provided by the second amendment, but then again, when have you Leftists, avowed Marxists and Communist sympathizing Democrats ever cared about the Constitution except when it protects the free speech rights of pedophiles and pornographers? How does anyone know how many illegal border crossings there are unless you can verify 100% arrests at the border, which obviously is not the case, or there wouldn’t be 15 million illegals already here. The only thing down for sure is border arrests, and if illegal border crossings are down as you claim, the only plausible explanation is that our economy is so anemic not even Mexicans want to come here now (so thank you Obama, I guess). Third, the definition of an “illegal” is someone who has committed a “criminal act”- a fact which consistently escapes the addled notions of libtards, even the likes of racist La Raza counsel and Supreme Court nincompoop Sonia Sotomayor. Finally, when illegals are granted amnesty, they begin to vote. Obama is simply building his base, and even the Progressive charlatan George Bush was tempted to do it. So maybe you should turn off your Martin Bashir/Chris Matthews/”Special Ed” Schultz re-elect Obama propaganda and read the Constitution yourself

Dec 12, 2011 12:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
KojakAZ wrote:

The article is incorrect. “The law requires police to check the immigration status of anyone they detained and suspected of being in the nation illegally.” That’s not true. Under SB 1070, police can only check the immigration status of someone that’s been detained for breaking the law in some other way other than being in the country illegally. Law enforcement could not approach you and ask to see your ‘papers’.

Dec 12, 2011 12:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Annie777 wrote:

USAPRAGMATIST, you must never have worked the polls.

I do. Regularly. And I have seen a young man use his father’s voter card and vote. Then two weeks later, at the end of Early Voting, here comes Dad.

He gets to vote, claiming he has never voted, because he can vote provisional.

It turns out the son–NOW GET THIS–wasn’t even registered to vote!

He voted using an IVOtronic, so there was no way to know which vote was his so we could cancel it.

If you think illegals don’t vote–think again.

Dec 12, 2011 12:37pm EST  --  Report as abuse
lindyhop wrote:

If you want to reference major vote fraud read Armed Madhouse and other musings by Greg Palist. Telling people to choose sides is counter productive. I understand your frustration but its we the people.

Dec 12, 2011 12:40pm EST  --  Report as abuse
PeterLocke65 wrote:

To USAPragmatist- how about some facts with explanations? The number of agents at the border may have increased (minus one agent Brian Terry), but their hands have been tied by our duplicitous and corrupt DoJ who limits their ability to enforce immigration law and intentionally puts weapons in the hands of narcotrafficers as part of a stated effort (in Obama’s words) to find a back door to increased gun control in this country and diminish the protection provided by the second amendment, but then again, when have you Leftists, avowed Marxists and Communist sympathizing Democrats ever cared about the Constitution except when it protects the free speech rights of pedophiles and pornographers? How does anyone know how many illegal border crossings there are unless you can verify 100% arrests at the border, which obviously is not the case, or there wouldn’t be 15 million illegals already here. The only thing down for sure is border arrests, and if illegal border crossings are down as you claim, the only plausible explanation is that our economy is so anemic not even Mexicans want to come here now (so thank you Obama, I guess). Third, the definition of an “illegal” is someone who has committed a “criminal act”- a fact which consistently escapes the addled notions of libtards, even the likes of racist La Raza counsel and Supreme Court nincompoop Sonia Sotomayor. Finally, when illegals are granted amnesty, they begin to vote. Obama is simply building his base, and even the Progressive charlatan George Bush was tempted to do it. So maybe you should turn off your Martin Bashir/Chris Matthews/”Special Ed” Schultz re-elect Obama propaganda and read the Constitution yourself

Dec 12, 2011 12:47pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ketex wrote:

Common sense would say that Az should be able to enforce a law that pre-exists in federal law.

Common sense? Since when would common sense trump the plans of the elite deviants that actually call the shots!

Dec 12, 2011 12:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
WROL wrote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Time to stand and fight Patriots of the Republic.

Dec 12, 2011 12:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Maximus555 wrote:

Let’s Unite the United States and get on the same program. Enforce border security now. Let Arizona lead the rest by example now.

Dec 12, 2011 12:50pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ketex wrote:

It has been said that 99% of all lawyers give the remaining 1% a bad name. If judges are just lawyers wearing black robes and this is a logic problem, what’s the answer?

Dec 12, 2011 12:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Okay Mr. President, if it’s the Feds job to enforce the laws and make them…then do it. You can’t expect that states where our laws and citizens are abused to do nothing. How can a President sleep at night when he is using his power to harm his own citizens by opposing and ignoring the very laws he SWORE to defend?

Dec 12, 2011 1:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tularockstar wrote:

It’s really interesting how Obama has yet to set foot in the Phoenix area, since his Presidency! This coward can hide behind Holder’s skirt and sue Arizona, while taken no leadership role to get our country’s economy back on track! His legacy will be remembered as a corrupted socialist, working for La Raza and the ACLU! Slime ball!

Dec 12, 2011 1:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
tularockstar wrote:

HEY Reuters: Nice biased picture you used to depict this topic! How about showing a picture of those taxpayers spending billions to aid illegal immigrants?

Dec 12, 2011 1:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
eltoro wrote:

Most of you folks are blaming the wrong people. If you want to see an end to this dilemna, start by prosecuting the employers who hire illegals. The reason they come to this country is because of work here. If they can’t get work here they cannot exist here, they will leave on their own accord and the word will spread real fast back in the country they came from.

Dec 12, 2011 1:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
eltoro wrote:

Stop blaming the illegals!!! Blame the employers who hire them, and throw them in jail. If illegals can’t get work they will go home. So simple…..

Dec 12, 2011 1:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
normreef wrote:

Why in God’s name are we waiting for April for the court to hear the Arizona case. There is a crisis on the border now which needs to be resolved. This involves too many people’s lives to pospone this issue.

Dec 12, 2011 1:30pm EST  --  Report as abuse
deaddog wrote:

” Obama and other opponents, including many Democrats and civil rights groups, have criticized the law and said it could lead to harassment of Hispanic-Americans.”

How can they be ” Hispanic-Americans ” when they are illegal ?
Obama want’s to hand out citizenship at the boarder as they ( illegals ) cross over into the US.

Dec 12, 2011 1:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Thank goodness for organizations like Fairus.org and Numberusa that are opening the eyes of Americans to the sham of a Federal Government that is undermining it’s own people and laws to gain future votes. The tide is turning because voters are seeing the truth….this President and many in Congress no longer represent their interests or our laws.

Dec 12, 2011 1:48pm EST  --  Report as abuse
saa001 wrote:

You do NOT have a right to commit a crime and come to this country illegally. You do NOT have a right to work here illegally. You do NOT have a right to receive state and federal benefits when you are here illegally.

Come here legally and then we can talk. Until then, get the hell out.

Dec 12, 2011 1:58pm EST  --  Report as abuse
LarryCroft wrote:

From the article: The law’s supporters, including many Republicans, said states need to take aggressive action because the federal government has failed to do enough to stop the flow of illegal immigrants into the country.
_____________________________________________
Agree.

Dec 12, 2011 2:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gobnait wrote:

USApragmatist: Nice try but there’s more than meets the eye. Illegal border crossings are down because there are NO jobs to be had in this Obama-jobless recovery. Obama ordered that only felons be deported while other illegals who commit lesser crimes are permitted to remain. He didn’t even have the decency to deport his OWN ILLEGAL relatives, one who is a parasite on our social system and the other a drunk driver. Now, tell us again how great Obama is on enforcement so we can have a good laugh.

Dec 12, 2011 2:04pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I would like to see the supreme court rule that not only do the States have a right to protect their borders but they have a responsibility to do so and further refusal by the Federal government to enforce the laws as written should be considered contempt of court, and that is also a criminal act…

Dec 12, 2011 2:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JStreeter wrote:

The SC has already ruled in the past that local authorities have the right to enforce federal law and in many cases are mandated to do so. This law WILL be upheld.

Dec 12, 2011 2:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse

300 million to 12 million it would seem the 300 million who appear to be at least trying to follow the law should certainly outweigh the measly twelve million squatting, law breaking, anchor baby making cockroaches in this country ILLEGALLY, that means AGAINST THE LAW, for all those legal scholars that seem to think these laws are open for interpretation

Dec 12, 2011 2:12pm EST  --  Report as abuse
mrmikejohnson wrote:

Notice the picture Reuters shows…the people that represent their political view.

Dec 12, 2011 2:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
911014ever wrote:

I hope they get it together and PASS our law!!!!!!!!!!! I live here in Arizona, I support the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 12, 2011 2:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

Both Dems and Republicans have failed the US when it comes to illegal immigration.

-Dems for being too liberal.

-Republicans for the cheap labor illegals provide.

It’s up to the states to defend their own borders.

Dec 12, 2011 2:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

LOL, I will be short and sweet, you righties make me laugh with your mis-understanding of the Constitution, I saw many say the 10th Amendment, that is only with regards to things that the Federal Government is not given specific control over previously in the Constitution, of which border control is one.

It is a very simple Constitutional argument, The Federal laws take precedence over State laws in this case.

Now as to the rest of your arguments against illegal immigration, beyond being hate-filled (should go watch the South Park episode about the ‘time-travelling’ immigrants to see a parody of how stupid you look), the Obama administration has done more to control and deport illegals in 3 years then the Bush Admin did in 8.

Lastly, to those that have made allusions to ‘Operation Fast and Furious’, go google ‘Operation Wide Receiver’ and you may realize that this was simply a continuation of a previous ‘sting’ by the Bush administration. There is no ‘gun-control conspiracy’ going on there. But you might be right, after all I forgot that Obama is a closet Muslim born in Kenya and raised by Mau-Mau’s and he is part of some vast conspiracy launched when he was a toddler when he decided that he hates the USA. Would be funny, if a substantial % of those on the right did not actually believe it.

Dec 12, 2011 2:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
daedilus wrote:

The questions is not “whose job is it to enforce the law”, clearly, that is the federal government.

The question is, “are states allowed to enforce federal laws?”, and just as clearly, the answer is unequivocally “Yes”

Dec 12, 2011 2:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Qwertyop wrote:

The federal government does nothing but fail these days. First Bush, now Obama, seems no one has the courage to stop the flow of human misery up through the border.

Dec 12, 2011 3:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Trick wrote:

In California, we want to grant amnesty to illegals and there is hope for this to be on the ballot in 2012.

Any bets on how Obama will *NOT* try to stop California from doing something “federal” like he has with Arizona?

Dec 12, 2011 3:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
gruven137 wrote:

It looks like most of the Obama lovers on here have really short memories. Obama only started beefing up Mexican border security to cover his butt, AFTER, he filed his lawsuit against Arizona.

Arizona had been using their own money to try and secure their border for years because they weren’t getting any help from the FEDS. That is what prompted SB1070. Most of all of this is moot now because thanks to the threat of SB1070 and all the sheriff raids done on business, the bulk of the illegal invaders in Arizona hightailed it to California where they were welcomed with open arms. By the way, how’s that “boycott thing” working out for all you Californians?

Dec 12, 2011 3:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JustLuthien wrote:

@USA Pragmatist:

My family finds nothing funny about illegal immigration – not after my cousin was gunned down in the streets of DC as part of an MS13 gang initiation.

My opinion about illegals? Get the HELL out of my country and take your anchor baby brats with you. Preferably now.

Dec 12, 2011 3:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

Immigration law is not a state issue, this is one of the things that falls completely on the federal government. So I can understand the problem with the Arizona law. However the federal government has failed miserably to enforce the Federal laws. I do think however that the states have their own rights to enact laws that check citizenship status before any form of state services are rendered to a person or their children in the case of schools. This also should cover when a person applies for a job. However once an illegal immigrant is found, it is still up to the Federal government to do their part and deport them.

Dec 12, 2011 5:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@USAPragmatist

Do you know why we have an immigration policy? Do you know why all countries on the planet have immigration policies? Do you think it is racist to control the flow of immigration? You sir are the one that sounds ignorant.

Dec 12, 2011 5:05pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RayGunsmess wrote:

Justice Elena Kagan recused herself from the case, hmmmm isn’t that what Clarence should have done before the court ruled to allow corporate America to donate as much as they want to political campaigns.

Dec 12, 2011 5:07pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RayGunsmess wrote:

Illegal aliens can not vote Einstein…

Dec 12, 2011 5:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@JustLuthien, To bad about your cousin, however seems as if your hate is misplaced. Maybe you should be an anti-gang or gun-control rights person. Just because people want to come to this country and work does not make them bad people. The bad element part of it is a very small %. In fact I would bet that if a study was done it would show that illegal immigrants are less likely or equally likely as the general population of being guilty of felonious acts.

Dec 12, 2011 5:11pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RayGunsmess wrote:

hey misinformed republicans listen up….Obama has deported more illegal aliens in his 3 years in Office then Bush and Clinton combined..kapesh…Obama has killed more Al Quada leaders then Bush and Clinton combined…Did you see the recent report that found Fox News watchers have less knowledge of world events then people that never watch the news at all…Maybe you should turn off the Fox News Dribble of fertilizer and try reading a newspaper

Dec 12, 2011 5:17pm EST  --  Report as abuse
fiigtree1 wrote:

this land is gods land and all within it.truth be told, the Mexicains as the term seems to be here. Where here long before you so called americans. So i suppose the Mexicains coming back to this land, would be simular to the people of isreal going back to isreal.
so be careful who you call an immigrant, for the one you may be labeling may very well be you and your whole famiy tree.

Dec 12, 2011 5:24pm EST  --  Report as abuse
kurmudgeon wrote:

There were no mexican here fiigtree, mine came legally through Ellis island, not scrambling through a hole in the fence, and I suppose mexicans learnes spanish on their own, seems like they let their place get screwed up, so now they figure they have some godly right to pull this crap in my place. Obey the damn law, we did.

Dec 12, 2011 5:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

@USAPragmatist

“In fact I would bet that if a study was done it would show that illegal immigrants are less likely or equally likely as the general population of being guilty of felonious acts.”

You couldn’t be more wrong than you are right now. Being an illegal immigrant entails a number of felonies, some of which I will list.

The list below are all crimes involving illegal immigration:

(1) Violating the immigration law is a FEDERAL CRIME
(2) Forging documents is a FEDERAL FELONY CRIME
(3) Passing forged documents is a FEDERAL FELONY CRIME
(4) Stealing ID is a FEDERAL FELONY CRIME
(5) Using stolen ID is a FEDERAL FELONY CRIME

Dec 12, 2011 6:44pm EST  --  Report as abuse
TheNewWorld wrote:

And as far as those who support Illegal Immigrants, they are all felons too.

Immigration laws
Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

1.) assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or

2.) encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or

3.) knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

I would love to see a federal government that starts prosecuting our citizens for aiding and embedding the illegal immigrants, including the governors and mayors of judges who offer safe havens.

Dec 12, 2011 6:46pm EST  --  Report as abuse
barberrr wrote:

This issue goes way back before Eric “let-the-FAA-investigate-that-twin-towers-incident” Holder, back before the Obama “get the terrorists a public defender” Administration, back before the last election… even back before the U.S. Constitution was ratified.

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Jackie Onassis all knew the basic principle behind western civilization: YOU DON’T BREAK IN LINE.

If these bleeding heart liberals, so anxious to buy another vote, let these 11 million illegals push their way in front of those who have actually taken the time to (a) make a legal application to immigrate; (b)learn the language, and (c) learn the history of this great country they want to become a part of instead of hoisting a Mexican flag at the front of their high school, then they might as well tell those TSA clowns to strip off their cloth badges and start wearing tissue ones. Nothing left for them to “secure”.

Dec 12, 2011 6:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
barberrr wrote:

As for “U.S. versus AZ” seems like a slam dunk to me, and I haven’t even studied law: no peace officer in any local, state, or federal jurisdiction has ever strapped on a weapon without first having sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States (not just parts of it).

Joe Arpaio for President!

Dec 12, 2011 7:21pm EST  --  Report as abuse
fiigtree1 wrote:

how can one be an illigal alien if they live on this planet?
just the fact people are conditioned to think that way, is what is alien.

Dec 12, 2011 8:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
fiigtree1 wrote:

i keep seeing this illegal alien theme, if the people who were here before the nina, pnta and the santa maria did not cordially invite them, let alone the people on the mayflower. then for all intention purposes of these immigration laws the whole lot of us, who were not present or accounted for on these shores post european invasion/occupation. would be quite guilty indeed.
even from ellis island, kurmudgeon,,lol

Dec 12, 2011 8:26pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RNB71 wrote:

I’ve been on both sides of this…

I lived in Japan for 10 years and they have a law that allows police to stop foreigners and ask for their identification card (which you must carry at all times). You need not be doing anything illegal to be asked. I was asked once, presented my card, and that was that. I asked the officer why he chose to stop me and as I recall he sort of apologized.

Later, I got married and my wife applied for US permanent residency which took about 10 months from start to finish.

I really do not understand why the Arizona law is so unreasonable or controversial. There is a process to becoming a resident or having the priveledge to work/reside/study here and others are going through that process. Apart from being illegal, it is simply unfair to circumvent the application process. As long as enforcement is handled properly, there should be no issue with this.

Dec 12, 2011 9:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse

I make no claim to be an immigration law expert but it is my understanding that there is really nothing in this law that is not already THE FEDERAL LAW AND IT SHOULD BE ENFORCED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and I really hope that the supreme court takes it upon itself to inform the U.S. government of it’s sworn duty to uphold the law of the land , and not just the laws the federal government finds it convenient to enforce such as the marijuana thing in California yeah the federal government can find money to invade marijuana facilities or sovreign nations but absolutely turns a blind eye to ILLEGAL invaders!

Dec 12, 2011 11:33pm EST  --  Report as abuse

USAPragmatist wrote:
@JustLuthien, To bad about your cousin, however seems as if your hate is misplaced. Maybe you should be an anti-gang or gun-control rights person. Just because people want to come to this country and work does not make them bad people. The bad element part of it is a very small %. In fact I would bet that if a study was done it would show that illegal immigrants are less likely or equally likely as the general population of being guilty of felonious acts.*******************************************************************you amaze me how about the fact that an invasion of ILLEGAL ALIENS have invaded the country ILLEGALLY how is that for a general population of felons that don’t even respect the law enough to go through the proper channels to be here and the fedreal government should not only appreciate the extra help, THEY SHOULD BE SENDING A BIT OF EXTRA CASH THAT DIRECTION FOR ANY STATE INCURRED EXPENSES WHILE DOING ASSISTING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT…

Dec 12, 2011 11:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
particle wrote:

This is a hot topic, I am married to a Latina and have a mixed child, but I am many generations American, race: British decent. You don’t let someone into your house then abuse them, but you don’t leave your door open. A real fence and border enforcement is appropriate and necessary. We are the good guy because we respect human rights. It’s our own fault for not protecting the sovereignty of our nation’s borders.

Dec 13, 2011 12:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
jthunders2011 wrote:

Look at the stats of the anchor babies in LA – that is your future. Really high incarceration rates, really low high school graduation rates. And what that means, onward to shantytowns and favelas a la Brazil. It all could have been avoided, but the Dems need to expand the underclass at all costs to maintain their grip on power.

Dec 13, 2011 12:30am EST  --  Report as abuse
bigdaddie47 wrote:

Close the border-lock down and only allow US citizens, student papers and green cards back in and verify all papers “Citizens and authorized persons”. Everybody else turn around and go back. Close it on the American side to Americans going to Mexico and let the Mexican citizens return without being checked. Stop all truck,train,bus traffic and no one leaves the stations without being processed just like the customs at the airports. Trucks registered to legit companies and driven by a proven American Citizen would be allow in and out. after a week check the results of THE EXPLOSION of bitching complaints against the Govt to see if we have hit someones nerves,Betcha who would be the biggest 1% complainers.

Dec 13, 2011 1:21am EST  --  Report as abuse
btaxey wrote:

Let’s get real. Take a country — such as Sweden — and suddenly drop 10,000 illegals there, who immediately start to use up their medical dollars. How long would that last, if at all? It would be interesting to start off with 100 and track their progress. The Swedish citizens would be up in arms, because there would be fewer dollars for citizens’ healthcare, right? Just because it is a large number doesn’t mean that nothing can be done. That’s how the number got so big in the first place.

Dec 13, 2011 10:27am EST  --  Report as abuse
Madkat2 wrote:

“Eleven other states supported Arizona’s appeal, along with 59 members of the U.S. Congress. Congress has been unable to agree on comprehensive new immigration measures.”

What’s wrong with enforcing the ones on the books now??

Dec 13, 2011 10:39am EST  --  Report as abuse
Madkat2 wrote:

We need the All TSA agents on the border now. It’s is the only way the Fed can slow down the legals from crossing by patting down every entry and give the illegals more time to plan their end run around the unmaned check points.

Dec 13, 2011 10:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
Gabish90 wrote:

I really hope that this does not pass in the Supreme Court. I think that the police will abuse their powers and too many Latino looking individuals will be stopped and pulled over and harassed. I have dealt with cops on my own time, and let me just say that they most certainly feel that they can act however they want to simply because they have a badge. They can be rude, disparaging, and completely inappropriate.

Dec 14, 2011 11:25am EST  --  Report as abuse
ldschap wrote:

I think it might be a great idea to start a write-in campaign, with Governor Jan Brewer as President of the United States! She is the lead governor to put teeth into the anti-illegal immigrant laws we already have on the books. There should be actual penalties for those illegals, who take jobs (do they pay taxes?), have their children in our hospitals, but won’t pay for it, and send their children to our free schools! If we did start sending these people BACK, we could afford the education our kids need, and restore the operating budgets of our hospitals. We need to get tough on this. IF an immigrant comes to the United States, also, they need to speak English, and then we wouldn’t have to have separate instructions for them on packages, equipment manuals, etc. Lets all pray that the Supreme Court sees the damage done by the illegal immigrants, and approves the laws, that Governor Jan Brewer and Arizona, have implemented!

Dec 15, 2011 1:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
MidwestVoice wrote:

What is often not mentioned is that a lot of US businesses make lots of money off of those in this country illegally; it is NOT in their best interests for the US to deal fairly with the problem. They do not want to see big fines and mandatory jail time for company owners and executives that hire illegals or who profit from them being here. If we were to enforce laws that attached fines and jail time for top execs and owners of businesses that provided utilities, housing, sold cars, bank accounts, credit cards, cell phones, cable and internet plans, and on and on to anyone who could not provide proof of legal citizenship or legal visa status, much of the illegal population would deport themselves. That would remove much of the incentive; with no job, no place to live, no vehicle to drive, most here illegally would not choose to stay. Along with this, should be an updated, rational policy for legal immigration into this country.

Dec 15, 2011 11:34am EST  --  Report as abuse
AZKev wrote:

Gabish90, if we could get this country’s citizens to make decisions based on what is best for the country instead of what is best for “me”, we would take back this land we own. You are simply worried about you. If you truly are an American, accept the bigger picture that illegal immigration is out of control (why it is I will let others speculate about) and accept that in order to remedy a problem as large scale as this, someone is going to be inconvenienced. Think long and hard about how inconvenient it is to provide your drivers license when pulled over for running that stop sign. If you are worried about police harassment, then do what everyone else does…….video tape it. If you are right and the police overstep, then you will get a nice juicy check and will be set for life. I will bet it doesnt happen to you though.

And for all those amnesty dopes. Just because I have run the stop sign for 20 years and not been given a ticket isn’t defense for why I should be let go when finally caught. If you came here illegally, you broke our law. It is as simple as that. We just need our elected “officials” to enforce the laws. As much as Jan brewer is socially challenged, at least she has the “juevos” (figured I’d make this bilingual) to take action to protect her people. I’m curious how the AZ law is more inconvenient than how the Mexican border is guarded against the el salvadoreans? Weren’t they there before the Nina, pinta, and Santa Maria landed? So why can’t they go freely into Mexico? You know the answer as do I and I simply request that we stop making irrational arguments.

God bless America! The land of the free (if you are legal) and the home of the brave.

Dec 16, 2011 12:25pm EST  --  Report as abuse
thebruce wrote:

from all I’ve read, USAPragmatist – I don’t think you even understand what it is to be pragmatic, particularly it’s function in debate.
what good is citing hate where there is simply contradiction, or name-calling where you try to take a moral high ground?

Dec 18, 2011 8:36pm EST  --  Report as abuse
moneywon wrote:

I think it’s great. The Supreme Court will basically gut labor in those states, and those states will insist that the Federal Government that allowed them to do it make up the difference, which it won’t be able to do, and they will wither away with their overpriced real estate and lack of water. On a side note, kudos Reuters on having the second-most racist commentors to FOX.

Dec 19, 2011 9:09am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.