Exclusive: Mortgage problems? Turn your house into a billboard

Comments (15)
davemowers wrote:

So again, poor people find a way to make money and the government system decides they can’t do it. Thanks for nothing America, everyone earning less than a $100,000.00 a year should just kill themselves since everything “we” do is illegal.

Feb 12, 2012 8:08pm EST  --  Report as abuse
JackiesPaw wrote:

Davemowers, how about leading by example!

Feb 12, 2012 8:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Phaque wrote:

“See Rock City!”

Feb 12, 2012 9:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
whySoStupid wrote:

@davemowers – The reason for property and zoning laws is actually maintain property values and keep them from falling just because some neighbor does something ridiculous to their property. These people have now painted their house a supposedly hideous color and have huge billboards on it. This makes it ugly to look at and is something people would rather not live next to. Hence, their neighbors would have their values reduced (which could possibly end up putting them under water as well). Although you own the property you can’t do many things that will drive down the values around it.

Think, would you complain if someone owned a commercial property and wanted to build a massive shopping center on it, which would greatly increase traffic to the area. Would you complain? The guy owns the property so by your argument should be allowed to do what he wanted. What if it was a Walmart, or anything else you might not like. This is no different. What the homeowner is doing affects the area just like the commercial owners proper affects the area. Or would you complain because you consider that person to be rich and only think poor people should be allowed to do whatever with their property.

Feb 12, 2012 9:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Economystic wrote:

JackiesPaw, have you no compassion?

Feb 12, 2012 10:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Nullcorp wrote:

This is like the real estate version of prostitution. “Just take the money and let us do whatever we want… you need the money, right? You need the money bad? That’s what I thought.” It’s really taking advantage of people in tough situations. Photos here: http://www.brainiacsfrommars.com/paintmyhouse.html

Feb 13, 2012 12:58am EST  --  Report as abuse
AgedThinker wrote:

Sensationalist ever wonder what America would look like if every house was a billboard. This article is senseless. Waste of peoples times. www.sci-burr.com

Feb 13, 2012 6:41am EST  --  Report as abuse
GozieBoy wrote:

This is nothing more than an extension of the “walking billboards” of the depression days, where people humiliate themselves for some cash.

Thanks to Obama and his merry band of loony lib Dems (Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, who got the housing mess to where it’s at). Ain’t depression and socialism wonderful. Do you HOPE we get even more of this for ANOTHER four years??

Feb 13, 2012 6:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
arbor wrote:

Wow! They would never allow that where I live! I didn’t realize that things were so much different one state away, in Calif. I don’t think Reuters would have said it if it were not true, like some other online “sources”.

Feb 13, 2012 9:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
Ranger01 wrote:

How much do you want to bet that the City Coucils will prohibit Bill Boards on houses because of Zoning rules, or some other excuse.

Feb 13, 2012 9:24am EST  --  Report as abuse
PaulMilitary wrote:

@whySoStupid

your right, sort of… it is in each individuals interest to maximize the value of their property, that is the nature of ownership. BUT you also can not tell an individual what they can and can not do with their property unless it is shown to be causing damage you.

your example of a person building a walmart in a residental area is excellent but what you fail to think about is that if traffic to the area increases drastically, new roads are built and more and more people come to the area, your property will GO UP in value because it will become valuable commerical space as opposed just a residental lot. This means that you will be able to sell your property and move somewhere else and have quite a bit of cash in your pocket. Just like restraunts tend to be clusterd together (look at houston, they have NO zoning laws, yet the city still looks like a city, they do not have porn shops and strip clubs in residental neighborhoods, nor do they have elementary schools in highrise buildings downtown.) businesses and homes tend to naturally segregate themselves in a free market. What I am trying to get at is that each individuals right to maximize the value of their property will naturally tend property to be used in the most valuable way. This is naturally good for society, and will lead to the creation of wealth.

Feb 13, 2012 9:36am EST  --  Report as abuse
Wyrdless3 wrote:

Anyone who pays their mortgage in a community here 80% of houses are underwater is an idiot.

Feb 13, 2012 9:40am EST  --  Report as abuse
madest wrote:

So too much to ask to post a picture? Great reporting guys. Way to put as little effort into a story as possible.

Feb 13, 2012 10:19am EST  --  Report as abuse
screentest wrote:

Rules regulating to the detriment of citizens…BRILLIANT!!! But that, unfortunately, has become the hallmark of virtually all levels of government. And yet they cannot be bothered to operate by the rules (insider trading, etc). Sorry state of affairs!

Feb 13, 2012 11:45am EST  --  Report as abuse
lindseyeliza wrote:

They may be making money for themselves, but they’re costing their neighbors money because they’re devaluing the resale prices of homes in their neighborhood, and that devaluation does not disappear when they remove the advertisement, either.

Feb 13, 2012 2:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.