PERTH, March 29 U.S. oil giant Exxon Mobil
intends to resume work at its $15.7 billion liquefied
natural gas (LNG) project in Papua New Guinea after a dispute
with residents over land was resolved, the company said on
"Community leaders in the Hides area have come to a
resolution with the government to allow work in Hides to resume.
We have begun to mobilise our workforce to recommence work,"
Exxon spokeswoman Rebecca Arnold said.
Esso Highlands, the Exxon subsidiary which operates the LNG
development, had stopped work in the Hides region of the
Southern Highlands after residents demanding additional
compensation for their land threatened workers at the plant.
The Papua New Guinea government had earlier said it was
preparing to deploy troops to quell the protests.