October 22, 2010 / 1:51 AM / 7 years ago

Haiti says 138 dead in suspected cholera outbreak

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Oct 21 (Reuters) - Nearly 140 people have died in central Haiti in an outbreak of severe diarrhea that Haitian health officials suspect is cholera, the government and U.N. officials said on Thursday.

Haitian health authorities have informed the World Health Organization of 138 deaths and 1,526 cases so far in the outbreak centered on the Lower Artibonite region, north of the capital Port-au-Prince, the U.N.’s humanitarian spokesperson in Haiti, Imogen Wall, told Reuters. (Reporting by Guy Delva; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below