Oct 19 (Reuters) - Abbott, in conference call with analysts:
* Says continues to believe Alere Inc would be good strategic, long term fit, for Abbott
* Says expects fourth quarter EPS of 64 cents to 66 cents per share, excluding special items
* Says deal to purchase St. Jude to close, and probably by the end of 2016
* Says cyber security allegations will not affect closing of St. Jude deal or overall business, based on current information
* Abbott CEO says St. Jude has handled Muddy Waters cyber security allegations "well and thoroughly"
* Abbott CEO says St. Jude has taken cyber security allegations relating to its heart devices "seriously"
* Further company coverage: (Reporting by Ransdell Pierson)