(Adds items on Catalunya Banc, BC Partners, Alitalia, EMC Corp
July 22 The following corporate finance-related
stories were reported by media:
* Embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling on
Monday met with former Microsoft Corp Chief Executive
Officer Steve Ballmer to discuss a possible settlement over
Sterling's opposition to the $2 billion sale of the basketball
team, a source close to the case said.
* Club Mediterranee's board of directors will meet
on Friday to decide whether to back a takeover offer for the
holidays group from top shareholder Andrea Bonomi, according to
a source close to the matter.
* Spain will sell Catalunya Banc, one of the last lenders
still in state hands after the financial crisis, to the
country's second-biggest bank BBVA for just under 1.2 billion
euros ($1.6 billion), said bank restructuring fund FROB on
* European private equity firm BC Partners has
appointed Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Goldman
Sachs to run the listing of its OVS Industry fashion
chain, several sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.
* Poste Italiane will only invest more money in Alitalia if
it avoids taking on the airline's past liabilities, three
sources close to the matter said on Monday, a condition likely
to hamper a rescue deal with Etihad Airways.
* Activist investor Elliott Management Corp has taken a $1
billion stake in EMC Corp and plans to push it to spin
off virtualization software unit VMware Inc, the Wall
Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
* Glenfiddich, the scotch whiskey business owned by William
Grant & Sons, is looking to buy Drambuie, the brand owned by the
MacKinnon family, in a 100 million pounds ($170.76
million)takeover, Sky News reported late Monday.
For the deals of the day click on
For the Morning News Call-EMEA newsletter click on
(Compiled by Abhiram Nandakumar in Bangalore)