LONDON Dec 21 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
down 15-18 points, or 0.3 percent on Friday, according to financial bookmakers,
tracking falls in Asia and by U.S. futures as optimism regarding a resolution of
the U.S. "fiscal cliff" ebbed. For more on the factors affecting European
stocks, please click on
* U.S. Republican lawmakers have rejected party leader John Boehner's
proposal designed to win concessions from President Barack Obama in the "fiscal
cliff" talks, reviving fears of $600 billion worth of tax hikes and spending
cuts that could drag the U.S. economy back into recession.
* The UK blue chip index closed down 3.25 points, or 0.05 percent on
Thursday at 5,958.34 consolidating around nine-month highs on Thursday, and
pausing within reach of the psychologically key 6,000 points mark, with
sentiment dominated by the U.S. fiscal cliff talks.
* Friday's expiry of December options, due around 1015 GMT, could well
galvanise the market into trying the 6,000 level - last seen in July 2011 -
given the concentration of bets around that level. Open interest on the Liffe
exchange as of Dec. 18 showed some 30,713 call bets at the 6,000 mark - the
heaviest concentration of any of the December strikes and suggesting many could
be interested in seeing that level breached before expiry in order to cash in.
* WILLIAM HILL, SPORTINGBET - Britain's largest bookmaker,
expanded into the large Australian gambling market when it and partner GVC
Holdings agreed a 485 million pound deal for Sportingbet late on
* Britain needs to introduce legislation that could break up banks if
standards slipped because current reform proposals fall short of what is needed,
the influential Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards has said. [ID:
* British consumer confidence fell sharply in December, all but wiping out
the previous month's improvement, as expectations for the wider economy
worsened, a survey showed on Friday.
* The final reading for British third-quarter GDP and the current account
balance will be released at 0930 GMT, at the same time as the November public
sector finance numbers.
* Across the Atlantic, U.S. November personal income and consumption figures
wll be released at 1330 GMT, together with November's Chicago Fed index, while
the final reading of December's Reuters/University of Michigan consumer
confidence survey is due at 1455 GMT.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
BERKELEY MINERAL RESOURCES holds its annual general meeting.
SKYEPHARMA holds an extraordinary general meeting.
MONITISE holds a shareholders meeting.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Reporting by Jon Hopkins)