(Corrects to show Weir Group has a Capital Markets day and is not releasing
LONDON, June 19 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
down 7-10 points, or as much as 0.2 percent lower, on Wednesday, according to
financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please
* The UK blue chip index closed up 43.72 points, or 0.7 percent, at 6,374.21
* Uncertainty over whether the U.S. Federal Reserve might soon scale back
the pace of its bond-buying operations was likely to keep market moves muted on
Wednesday ahead of the conclusion of the Fed's policy meeting.
Investors' focus will be on Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's news conference,
half an hour after the central bank's post-meeting statement due at 1800 GMT,
which could provide hints about the timing of any such reduction in purchases.
* VODAFONE : The mobile company has raised its preliminary offer to
buy Germany's largest cable operator, Kabel Deutschland Holding AG, a
day after U.S. media group Liberty Global Plc made a rival bid,
Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the bid.
* ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND, LLOYDS BANKING GROUP : The fate of
Britain's two state-controlled banks will become clearer on Wednesday, when
finance minister George Osborne is likely to start the clock ticking for the
sale of the government's stakes.
* Stocks trading without the attraction of their latest dividend will weigh
on the FTSE 100 on Wednesday, with Experian, Land Securities,
Severn Trent and United Utilities knocking around 1.8 points off
UK CORPORATE DIARY:
WEIR GROUP has a Capital Markets day.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit
(Reporting by Tricia Wright)