LONDON, Sept 19 Britain's FTSE 100 index
is seen surging 75 to 76 points, or as much as 1.1 percent, on
Thursday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the
factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* Equities across the globe rallied after the U.S. Federal
Reserve surprised investors after the close of European markets
on Wednesday by postponing the start of a reduction in its
massive monetary stimulus, saying it wanted to wait for more
evidence of solid economic growth.
* At 0620 GMT, futures for Britain's FTSE 100 were
1.2 percent higher.
* In the previous session, the UK blue chip index closed
down 11.35 points, or 0.2 percent, at 6,558.82 points. The index
is up more than 11 percent so far this year.
* ASOS - The fast-growing British online fashion
retailer said on Thursday it expects a small beat to forecasts
for year profit, helped by another jump in quarterly sales and
* UNITED UTILITIES - The company said current trading
was in line with the group's expectations for the six months
ending September 30 and it remained firmly on track to deliver
its 2010-15 regulatory outperformance targets.
* On the macroeconomic front, UK retail sales numbers, due
at 0830 GMT, are forecast to have risen by 0.4 percent
month-on-month in August and by 3.3 percent year-on-year.
* A Confederation of British Industry survey due at 1000 GMT
is expected to show the factory orders balance rose to 2 in
September, compared with zero previously.
* Across the Atlantic, focus will be on U.S. first-time
claims for jobless benefits for the week ended Sept. 14.
Economists predict a total of 330,000 new filings, compared with
292,000 in the previous week.
* Brent crude rose toward $111 a barrel on Thursday,
extending gains for a second day after the Fed's move to keep
its stimulus programme intact.
* London copper jumped to a three-week high, stretching its
gains into a second straight session.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Reporting by Atul Prakash; Editing by Sudip Kar-Gupta,