LONDON Oct 25 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
slightly lower on Friday, with futures off 0.1 percent by 0627 GMT
before the cash market open. For more on the factors affecting European stocks,
please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed up 38.70 points, or 0.6 percent, at 6,713.18
points on Thursday, its first close above 6,700 since May.
* In terms of domestic economic data, UK preliminary third-quarter GDP is
set for release at 0830 GMT.
* Bank of England Governor Mark Carney announced on Thursday that the
British central bank would expand the liquidity facilities it offers to banks
and consider allowing non-banks access.
* BARCLAYS : The bank breached a derivative agreement with a Black
Diamond Capital Management unit and must return an estimated $297 million in
collateral to the hedge fund, a divided New York state appeals court ruled on
* ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND : The bank is expected to name Morgan
Stanley as the lead underwriter for a proposed initial public offering of
its U.S. subsidiary, Citizens Financial Group Inc, according to people familiar
with the matter.
* GLENCORE XSTRATA : Rio Tinto has agreed to sell
its Clermont coal mine stake to Glencore Xstrata, the Australian reported on
Friday. Glencore Xstrata and Rio Tinto declined to comment.
* BRITISH LAND : Shares in the property developer rose on Thursday
as rumours did the rounds of an 8.99 billion pound, or 9 pound a share, cash bid
from a sovereign wealth fund, according to the Daily Mail market report.
* G4S : The world's biggest security services firm said its UK chief
executive Richard Morris has resigned and been replaced by the group's chief
operating officer Eddie Ashton.
* ARM HOLDINGS : IBM has licensed new ARM Technology for
custom chips aimed at networking and communications.
* BHP BILLITON : The miner said Nicola Kleynhans has resigned as
deputy company secretary.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Reporting by Tricia Wright; Editing by Toni Vorobyova, Francesco Canepa)