LONDON Jan 20 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
flat on Monday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The UK blue chip index closed 13.88 points higher, or 0.2 percent, at
6,829.30 points, on Friday, boosted by strong UK retail sales data and a rally
in motor insurer stocks to help it post its best week of 2014.
* TESCO, MOTHERCARE - Tesco considered a bid for mother and
baby products retailer Mothercare to help reinvigorate its British hypermarkets,
the Sunday Times reported, with the supermarket putting the plan on hold six
months ago. However, the recent fall in Mothercare's share price could rekindle
Tesco's plan according to the City insiders - though they added Tesco has made
no approach so far.
* VODAFONE, BSKYB - Telecom company Vodafone and
broadcaster BSkyB have held high-level discussions on how to curb BT's
growing reach over the broadband market, the Sunday Times reported, citing
* ROYAL DUTCH SHELL - Oil major Royal Dutch Shell and Mubadala
Petroleum have swapped equity stakes in two exploration blocks off Malaysia, the
companies said on Sunday.
* LEGAL & GENERAL - Insurance group Legal & General wants to build
five new towns across Britain over the next ten years at a cost of up to 5
billion pounds ($8.22 billion), the company's chief executive told the Sunday
* ROLLS ROYCE - The Serious Fraud Office has received additional
funding from the UK Treasury in its probe of alleged bribery and corruption by
defence group Rolls-Royce in China and Indonesia, the Financial Times reported,
* ELECTRA - Private equity firm Electra Private Equity Plc will
acquire footwear retailer Hotter Shoes in a deal valued at 200 million pounds,
The Telegraph reported on Sunday.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
ALLOCATE SOFTWARE PLC H1
CITY OF LONDON INVESTMENT GROUP PLC H1
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit