LONDON Jan 20 Britain's FTSE 100 is seen opening
broadly flat on Monday, according to financial bookmakers, with futures on the
index steady ahead of the cash market open.
* The UK blue chip index closed up 13.88 points, or 0.2 percent, at 6,829.30
points on Friday, boosted by strong UK retail sales data and a rally in motor
* TESCO, MOTHERCARE - Tesco considered a bid for mother and
baby products retailer Mothercare to help reinvigorate its British hypermarkets,
the Sunday Times reported, with the supermarket putting the plan on hold six
months ago. However, the recent fall in Mothercare's share price could rekindle
Tesco's plan according to the City insiders - though they added Tesco has made
no approach so far.
* VODAFONE, BSKYB - Telecom company Vodafone and
broadcaster BSkyB have held high-level discussions on how to curb BT's
growing reach over the broadband market, the Sunday Times reported, citing
* ROYAL DUTCH SHELL - Oil major Royal Dutch Shell and Mubadala
Petroleum have swapped equity stakes in two exploration blocks off Malaysia, the
companies said on Sunday.
* LEGAL & GENERAL - Insurance group Legal & General wants to build
five new towns across Britain over the next ten years at a cost of up to 5
billion pounds ($8.22 billion), the company's chief executive told the Sunday
* ROLLS ROYCE - The Serious Fraud Office has received additional
funding from the UK Treasury in its probe of alleged bribery and corruption by
defence group Rolls-Royce in China and Indonesia, the Financial Times reported,
* ELECTRA - Private equity firm Electra Private Equity Plc has
acquired footwear retailer Hotter Shoes for 85 million pounds ($139.78 million).
* LAURA ASHLEY - The clothing retailer announces a bonus interim
dividend of 1 pence per share for the year ending January 25 2014.
* PORTMEIRION - The ceramics manufacturer said it expects to post
record revenues for 2013 of over 58 millions pounds, with pretax profit expected
to be in line with market expectations.
* AMARA MINING - The miner sees gold output rising in 2014 after a
86 percent increase in production in Q4 compared to the previous quarter.
* H.R. OWEN - The motor dealer sees full-year results coming in
ahead of expectations, after used car trading performance continued to be very
strong with volumes up by almost a third.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit