LONDON Aug 18 Britain's FTSE 100 index
is seen opening up 29-32 points, or as much as 0.5 percent
higher on Monday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on
the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* September futures on the index were up 0.6 percent
at 0629 GMT.
* The UK blue chip index ended the day flat on Friday,
6,689.08 points, erasing earlier gains after news broke of a
Ukrainian attack on a Russian convoy, fuelling fears of an
escalation in the conflict.
But the index was poised to rise on Monday as worries over
Ukrainian forces have raised their national flag over a
police station in the city of Luhansk that was for months under
rebel control, Kiev said on Sunday, in what could be a
breakthrough in Ukraine's efforts to crush pro-Moscow
* Asking prices for houses in Britain have fallen at the
sharpest pace on record for the month of August, led by a drop
in London, as the market gets ready for higher interest rates, a
* RIO TINTO : Rio Tinto is set to decide on its stake
in a long-dormant copper mine in Papua New Guinea's Bougainville
after the passage of a new mining law on the island, with the
company possibly pulling out of the project after a quarter of a
* BANKS: The Serious Fraud Office is looking into
allegations of high street banks misusing government schemes
designed to boost lending to small businesses, the Times
reported on Sunday.
* CARILLION, BALFOUR BEATTY : The board of
construction firm Carillion is weighing up options to sweeten
its proposal for a 3 billion pound merger with rival Balfour
Beatty, the Times reported.
Separately, Carillion has signed a 90 million pound contract
for a residential development in London.
* BOVIS HOMES : The housebuilder said it expected to
see a significant increase in 2014 profits, in line with its
forecasts, as it posted first-half results boosted by a record
number of completions.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit
(Reporting by Tricia Wright; editing by Blaise Robinson)