LONDON Aug 28 Britain's FTSE 100 futures contract edged
down by 0.1 percent on Thursday, with the cash market also set for a slightly
weaker open according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting
European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.1 percent at 6,830.66 points on
* UK ECONOMY: Britain's economy looks set to grow at its fastest rate since
2007 this year, but the rapid pace is unlikely to be sustained, the British
Chambers of Commerce said on Wednesday after nudging up its growth forecasts for
this year and next.
* GLAXOSMITHKLINE : U.S. health officials will announce on Thursday
that a human study of an Ebola vaccine made by GlaxoSmithKline will begin within
a couple of weeks and not later this year as the company estimated originally,
according to people familiar with the plans.
* GLENCORE : Glencore will hold talks with the government of the
Australian state of Queensland over developing vast bauxite reserves that have
remained untapped for decades despite a series of attempts by mining companies
to get a project off the ground.
* HAYS : Recruitment and human resources services group Hays said it
was on track to double its operating profits by 2018 after posting a 12 percent
rise in full-year pretax profit on Thursday.
* SOCO : London-listed oil company Soco International said on
Thursday it will pay shareholders a cash return of 22 pence per share, rewarding
investors with a $121 million payout.
* HUNTING : Energy services firm Hunting Plc shrugged off a poor
start to the year and posted a 2.6 percent increase in first-half pretax profit,
helped by strong demand in the Gulf of Mexico.
* LAMPRELL : Oil rig maker Lamprell Plc's operating profit nearly
tripled as it completed four major projects ahead of budget in the first half of
* EURASIA DRILLING : Russia's biggest oilfield services company
Eurasia Drilling Co (EDC) said on Thursday that its future growth may suffer if
western sanctions over Ukraine are extended, after reporting a lower profit on
the weaker rouble.
* PETROPAVLOVSK : Russia-focused gold miner Petropavlovsk said on
Thursday it recorded a net loss of $95 million in the first half of 2014 after
$742 million net loss for the same period a year ago.
* MELROSE INDUSTRIES : Investment company Melrose Industries posted
higher interim pre-tax profits.
* TERRA FIRMA/GARDEN CENTRE GROUP:Private equity firm Terra Firma Capital
Partners is looking to sell the Garden Centre Group two years after
buying the business, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday, citing people familiar
with the matte.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit
(Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Atul Prakash)