LONDON, Sept 5 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
15 to 18 points, or as much as 0.3 percent, higher on Thursday, according to
financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please
* Futures for the FTSE 100 index were up 0.3 percent at 0630 GMT.
The UK blue chip index closed 0.1 percent higher at 6,474.74 points in the
* Bank of England is expected to take a breather when it announces its
latest policy decision on Thursday after a hectic couple of months under new
governor Mark Carney which has seen the economy show fresh signs of life.
* GLAXOSMITHKLINE - An experimental cancer vaccine from
GlaxoSmithKline failed to meet its first co-primary endpoint in a late-stage
clinical trial, dealing a blow to the high-risk, high-reward project.
* BETFAIR GROUP - The company said first quarter revenue was down
13 percent to 90.4 million pounds reflecting focus on sustainable markets.
* SUPERGROUP - Total group sales for the first quarter increased by
25.7 percent to 75 million pounds.
* EASYJET - August passenger traffic grew 3.9 percent.
* GO-AHEAD GROUP - The British transport group posted an 8 percent
fall in full-year profit, hit by a rise in rail franchise payments to the UK
* ENTERPRISE INNS - The company launches a 100 million sterling bond
* Brent futures inched higher, holding above $115 a barrel, as U.S.
President Barack Obama's effort to win backing for a military strike against
Syria cleared its first hurdle and strong auto sales boosted the demand outlook
* London copper steadied after a sharp loss in the previous session, as the
dollar took a breather from recent strength ahead of key U.S. data and as more
signs of the Chinese economy stabilising raised hopes for demand.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Reporting by Atul Prakash; Editing by Tricia Wright)