LONDON Dec 20 Britain's FTSE 100 is seen opening up on
Friday, with futures on the index firming 0.3 percent ahead of the cash market
* The FTSE 100 closed up 1.4 percent, or 92.62 points, at 6,584.70 points to
bring its gains since the start of 2013 to around 12 percent, helped by a rise
in pharmaceutical stocks and by a pledge from the U.S. Federal Reserve to keep
interest rates low.
* The Bank of Japan kept monetary policy steady on Friday and maintained its
view that the economy is recovering moderately, encouraged by growing signs that
the benefits of its massive stimulus are spreading through broader sectors of
* China's benchmark money market rate climbed to a six-month high on Friday
despite attempts by the central bank to calm sentiment, showing signs of a
scramble for cash reminiscent of a massive crunch that occurred in June.
* BAE SYSTEMS - The defence company said after market close on
Thursday that the United Arab Emirates had quit talks to buy Eurofighter Typhoon
aircraft and it had not yet reached a final agreement with Saudi Arabia over a
* SERCO - Embattled outsourcing company Serco is braced for a
challenging year ahead despite confidence it has done enough to be given the
all-clear in January to sign new contracts with the British government, its
chairman said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday.
* BG - The natural gas and oil firm moved to declare the commercial
viability of its Carioca oil-field on Friday.
* WPP - WPP's Mindshare is to buy Masscom, a Philippines-based media
* AVOCET MINING - Africa-focused gold miner Avocet Mining warned on
Friday that production for 2013 would fall short of its guidance after a
breakdown-hit fourth quarter which means the group will require additional
funding next year.
* HAMMERSON, AVIVA - Hammerson and Aviva Investors, who own
Queensgate Shopping Centre in Peterborough in a joint venture, have exchanged
contracts to sell the freehold of the centre to Invesco Real Estate for 202
million pounds ($330.56 million).
* RENTOKIL - Rentokil is to acquire the pest control division of
Green Compliance for 4 million pounds in cash.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit