LONDON Dec 27 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening
higher on Friday, with futures up 0.5 percent by 0731 GMT before the
cash market open.
* The UK blue chip index ended up 15.56 points, or 0.2 percent, at 6,694.17
points on Tuesday, the last day of trade before the UK stock market closed for
the Christmas break, notching its fifth straight session of gains.
* AIRLINES: Gatwick airport is facing the threat of having to pay airlines a
rebate after thousands of passengers were left stranded by a power outage caused
by storms that battered the UK over Christmas, the Financial Times reported.
* RETAILERS: After an initial rush to British retail stores for the Boxing
Day sales on Thursday, only 0.5 percent more shoppers showed up than last year,
final figures from retail data company Springboard showed.
* BARCLAYS : Barclays has been fined $3.75 million by a U.S.
regulator over its alleged decade-long failure to properly keep electronic
records, emails and instant messages.
* DEBENHAMS : The department store is set to part company with its
finance director amid growing criticism of his performance, the Times reported.
* BSKYB : The shares rose on Tuesday, bolstered by growing
speculation that mobile phone firm Vodafone could launch a bid for the
satellite TV group to help defend itself against a possible corporate attack
from AT&T, according to the Daily Mail's market report on Thursday.
* BP : The company has failed to persuade a federal judge to require
businesses seeking to recover money over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill to
provide proof that their economic losses were caused by the disaster.
* ASTRAZENECA : AstraZeneca and Shionogi have extended the licence
for cholesterol treatment Crestor.
* INTERTEK : The provider of quality and safety solutions has
completed its acquisition of Architectural Testing, one of the largest building
products testing and certification companies in the United States.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit