(Adds futures price, company news items)
LONDON, June 19 Britain's FTSE 100 futures contract was
up by 0.6 percent by 0620 GMT, with the UK stock market seen tracking gains in
U.S. and Asian shares after the U.S. Federal Reserve said the U.S. economy was
making progress. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.2 percent at 6,778.56 points on
* U.S. FEDERAL RESERVE: The Federal Reserve on Wednesday expressed
confidence the U.S. economic recovery was on track and hinted at a slightly more
aggressive pace of interest rate increases starting next year.
* London copper turned lower on Thursday amid doubts over the momentum of
global economic growth and its impact on metals demand, while nickel prices sank
further after a chunky build in exchange stocks.
* Brent crude held near a nine-month high above $114 a barrel on Thursday
supported by concerns about potential supply disruptions due to fighting in
* ROLLS-ROYCE : Britain's Rolls-Royce said it planned to return 1
billion pounds ($1.7 billion) to investors through a share buyback, passing on
the proceeds from the sale of its energy turbine business which was announced in
* BT /BSKYB : Britain's telecommunications regulator on
Thursday proposed setting guidelines for the margins BT has to maintain when
selling its superfast fibre product to rivals, to allow others to profitably
match its prices.
* MAN GROUP : Fund management company Man Group said it was buying
Numeric Holdings for an initial cash amount of $219 million.
* GO-AHEAD GROUP : Transport company Go-Ahead Group said it saw its
rail unit beating expectations for its full-year results.
* DARTY : Electrical goods retailer Darty posted higher profits.
* CARILLION : Support services company Carillion said it had been
awarded two contracts worth 300 million pounds.
* SPORTS DIRECT : Mike Ashley's Sports Direct said on Wednesday it
had bought a 4.8 percent stake in MySale Group, an Australian fashion
sales site that listed on the London stock market earlier this month.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit
(Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Alistair Smout)