April 26 Canada's main stock index looked set to
open lower on Friday as investors turned cautious ahead of an
initial reading of growth data from the world's largest economy.
* Bank of Japan policymakers are divided whether the central
bank can meet its inflation target in two years, underlining
concerns it has set an unrealistic goal in its battle to end 15
years of deflation with a massive burst of monetary stimulus.
* Samsung Electronics Co Ltd reported its sixth straight
quarter of profit growth ahead of the debut of its latest Galaxy
smartphone, the South Korean IT giant's biggest assault on rival
Apple Inc yet.
* French oil firm Total posted a fall in first-quarter profit
due to lower oil prices and a drop in oil and gas output, partly
offset by a rise in its refining and chemicals business.
* Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd reported a drop in quarterly
profit, hurt by lower gold prices and production, and raised its
forecast cash costs for the year.
* Amazon.com Inc's revenue growth slowed in the first quarter
as the world's largest Internet retail struggled overseas, but
margins jumped on lower shipping expenses and the expansion of
more profitable new businesses.
* Canada stock futures traded down 0.39 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were down
around 0.16 percent to 0.35 percent
* European shares, were down
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 287.1732;
fell 0.16 percent
* Gold futures : $1,472.9; rose 0.76 percent
* US crude : $93.32; fell 0.34 percent
* Brent crude : $102.93; fell 0.46 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,108.5; fell 1 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Barrick Gold Corp : The miner said the head of its
South American operations has resigned, adding the company is
shaking up its troubled Pascua-Lama mine with the aim of meeting
Chilean regulatory requirements to unfreeze the project.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* Barrick Gold Corp : CIBC cuts price target to $33
from $43 to reflect the recent compression of gold multiples and
the assumed delay at the company's Pascua Lama operations
* Dominion Diamond : BMO raises to outperform from
market perform, raises target price to C$20 from C$17.50 on the
de-risking of the company's cash flows and its attractive
forward valuation multiples
* Precision Drilling Corp : Canaccord Genuity cuts
target price to C$10.50 from C$11 citing the company's
better-than-expected first-quarter results inspite of lower
industry-wide activity levels
* Shoppers Drug Mart Corp : CIBC raises price target
to C$47 from C$45 citing the company's rising comparable
multiples and solid first-quarter earnings
* West Fraser Timber : Raymond James raises price
target to C$105 from C$100 on the company's higher-than-expected
ON THE CALENDAR
* No major Canadian economic data is scheduled for release
* Major U.S. events and data includes Q1 GDP,
Reuters/University of Michigan consumer sentiment index and
weekly index of economic activity