Jan 10 Canadian stock index futures pointed to a
lower open on Friday following the release of
weaker-than-expected U.S. and Canadian employment data.
* U.S. employers hired the fewest workers in almost three
years in December, but the setback was likely to be temporary
amid signs that cold weather conditions might have had an
* Canada's economy unexpectedly shed 45,900 jobs in December
as a result of less full-time work and layoffs across a broad
range of sectors, Statistics Canada data indicated on Friday.
* China's export growth slowed more than expected in
December due to a higher comparison base a year earlier and a
clamp-down on speculative activities disguised as export deals,
missing the official target on foreign trade.
* Alcoa Inc reported a massive quarterly loss on Thursday
after recent declines in aluminum prices led to a $1.7 billion
non-cash impairment charge on smelter acquisitions.
* Infosys Ltd, India's second-largest software services
exporter, posted a 21 percent rise in quarterly net profit,
beating estimates, as stronger economic growth in Europe and the
United States revived demand for outsourcing services.
* Canada stock futures traded lower
* U.S. stock futures , , were lower
* European shares, were up
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 273.6274;
rose 0.27 percent
* Gold futures : $1,234; rose 0.38 percent
* US crude : $92.62; rose 1.05 percent
* Brent crude : $106.84; rose 0.42 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,250; rose 0.51 percent
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* CAE Inc : BMO raises price target to C$15 from
C$13.50 after it reported strong orders in fiscal third-quarter
of 2014 in both the commercial aviation and military segments
* Le Groupe Jean Coutu PJC Inc : CIBC raises price
target to C$19.50 from C$18 as the company's third-quarter
results showed weak sales but strong margins
* Nordion Inc : CIBC raises price target to C$10.25
from C$9.25 as the company reported relatively in-line
* Sandvine Corp : CIBC raises price target to C$4.50
from C$3 following the company's fourth-quarter results with
record amount of wireless customers
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian economic data includes employment data
* Major U.S. events and data includes nonfarm payrolls,
wholesale inventories and ECRI weekly index