March 6 Canada's stock index futures pointed to
a flat opening on Thursday as the crisis in Ukraine continued to
unsettle markets and investors digested key U.S. labor data.
* Crimea's parliament voted to join Russia and its
Moscow-backed government set a referendum within 10 days on the
decision in a dramatic escalation of the crisis over the
Ukrainian Black Sea peninsula.
* The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment
benefits fell more than expected and hit a three-month low last
week, a sign of strength in a labor market that has been hobbled
by severe weather.
* Oil and gas giants Chesapeake Energy and Encana Corp
were charged on Wednesday with colluding to keep oil
and gas lease prices artificially low in Michigan, state
Attorney General Bill Schuette said.
* Canadian Natural Resources Ltd, Canada's No.2 oil
and gas company, reported a 17 percent rise in quarterly profit,
helped by higher output at its Pelican Lake project in Alberta.
* Canada stock futures traded unchanged
* U.S. stock futures , , were up
* European shares, were up
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 306.1278;
fell 0.2 percent
* Gold futures : $1334.9; fell 0.4 percent
* US crude : $100.79; fell 0.65 percent
* Brent crude : $107.63; fell 0.12 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7037; rose 0.1 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Linamar Corp : The auto parts maker reported
higher net earnings for the fourth quarter on Wednesday,
bolstered by stronger sales in North America, Asia and Europe.
* Kinross Gold Corp : The miner said unionized
employees went on strike at its Maricunga mine in Chile, forcing
it to suspended operations at the site.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* Cott Corp : CIBC cuts to sector performer from
sector outperformer and cuts target price to $9 from $10. Says
the U.S. carbonated soft drink industry's annual structural
decline of -3% to -4% will lead to falling volumes for the
* Laurentian Bank of Canada : Barclays raises target
price to C$47 from C$46 on the company's stable net interest
margins, increased portfolio diversification and
decline in integration costs in its first-quarter results
* Linamar Corp : CIBC raises to sector outperformer
from sector performer and raises target price to C$60 from C$42
based on the company's strong fourth-quarter results
* Painted Pony Petroleum Ltd : CIBC raises target
price to C$10.25 from C$9 on the company's strong increase in
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian data include building permits and Ivey PMI
* Major U.S. data includes factory orders, durable goods and