Nov 21 Canada's main stock index looked set to
open lower on Wednesday, after Greece's lenders failed to agree
on emergency aid and concern over the U.S. fiscal crisis dented
' sentiment. Trade is likely to be muted ahead of the U.S.
* German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she sees a chance for
a deal to release emergency aid for Greece at a meeting of
European finance ministers on Monday, but rejected the idea that
bold actions could solve Europe's crisis overnight.
* European Union antitrust regulators are set to clear
Glencore's $32 billion takeover of miner Xstrata after the
commodities trader satisfied concerns over zinc by ending a
sales contract, sources familiar with the matter said.
* Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said 2013 could be a
"very good year" for the U.S. economy if politicians can strike
a quick deal to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff.
* Deere & Co reported a higher quarterly profit as stronger
machinery sales in North America offset weaker international
demand, and it forecast higher sales and earnings in fiscal
* Research In Motion Ltd, for months enveloped by a
wave of negative sentiment, got a boost when one of its most
influential critics raised his rating on the stock ahead of the
launch of RIM's make-or-break new line of BlackBerry 10 devices.
* Canada stock futures traded down 0.09 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were mixed in
the range of -0.09 percent to 0.05 percent
* European shares, were mixed
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 297.80;
rose 0.29 percent
* Gold futures : $1,723.2; was unchanged 0 percent
* US crude : $87.76; rose 1.16 percent
* Brent crude : $111.24; rose 1.28 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,738; fell 0.58 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* First Quantum Minerals : Zambia has granted
environmental approval to the miner for a planned 300,000 tonnes
per year $640 million copper smelter at its Kansanshi mine
license area, the environmental management agency said.
* Lululemon Athletica Inc. : The yoga wear retailer
settled a lawsuit over its distinctive yoga pants against PVH
Corp's Calvin Klein and G-III Apparel Group Ltd.
* TransCanada Corp. : The pipeline operator will pay
C$210 million for BP Plc's 40 percent stake in the Crossfield
Gas Storage facility, 50 kilometers north of Calgary, Alberta,
to consolidate ownership of the operation.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* Banro Corp. : CIBC cuts to sector performer from
sector outperformer and cuts price target to C$4.75 from C$6
citing concerns given instability in the South Kivu region where
the company has its Twangiza mine
* C&C Energia Ltd. : CIBC cuts to sector performer
from sector outperformer after the company agreed to be acquired
by Pacific Rubiales Energy
* George Weston Ltd. : CIBC cuts target to C$68 from
C$69 on a lack of new products and low volumes
* Osisko Mining Corp. : RBC cuts price target to C$12
from C$13 on the company's dilutive acquisition of Queenston
* Peyto Exploration & Development : NBF raises price
target to C$28 from C$27, says the company's recent equity
financing improved its debt position and supports an impressive
ON THE CALENDAR
* No major Canadian economic data scheduled for release
* Major U.S. events and data includes initial claims,
continuing claims, Markit flash manufacturing PMI,
Reuters/U-Mich consumer sentiment index and lead indicators