U.S. says hopes China will approve more GMO corn for import
BEIJING, June 28 The United States hopes that more varieties of its genetically modified corn will be approved for import by Beijing, the U.S. ambassador to China said on Wednesday.
Feb 6 Canada's main stock index looked set to open lower on Wednesday, hurt by renewed concerns about the health of the euro zone's economy and weaker-than-expected results from Suncor Energy Inc, the country's biggest oil company.
* Suncor posted a fourth-quarter loss as it wrote down the value of its Voyageur oil sands upgrading project just weeks before it is due to make a final decision on whether to build the facility.
* TMX Group Ltd reported a profit for the first full quarter since the operator of the Toronto Stock Exchange was bought by a financial consortium last year.
* Husky Energy Inc, Canada's No.3 oil producer and refiner, reported a 16 percent rise in fourth-quarter net profit, helped by a higher refining margin.
* Canadian property and casualty insurer Intact Financial Corp said fourth-quarter profit more than doubled, helped by higher investment gains.
* John Malone's Liberty Global struck a deal on Tuesday to buy British cable group Virgin Media for about $15.75 billion in stock and cash, a move that would put the U.S. billionaire up against old rival Rupert Murdoch.
* ArcelorMittal forecast improving demand and earnings this year after a wretched 2012 in which sliding European consumption and a Chinese slowdown drove it to a deep net loss.
* Canada stock futures traded down 0.03 percent.
* U.S. stock futures , , were mixed around -0.18 percent to 0.3 percent.
* European shares, were mixed.
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 303.4437; fell 0.39 percent.
* Gold futures : $1,673.8; rose 0.08 percent.
* US crude : $95.31; fell 1.38 percent.
* Brent crude : $115.77; fell 0.64 percent.
* LME 3-month copper : $8,233; fell 0.45 percent.
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* WestJet Airlines Ltd : Canada's second-largest airline, reported a rise in fourth-quarter profit on higher traffic and record load factor in December
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian companies reported by Reuters.
* New Gold Inc : RBC cuts target price to C$14 from C$15 on valuation changes after incorporating the company's updated reserves and modifying assumptions.
* New Flyer Industries Inc : CIBC raises target price by C$0.50 to C$10.50 citing the company's growing after-market opportunities.
* Orezone Gold Corp : CIBC cuts target price to C$3.50 from C$4 to reflect market concerns stemming from regional instability in West Africa.
* Primaris Retail REIT : National Bank Financial ups target to C$27.70 from C$27.33, expects the company's unit-holders to approve the updated bid from H&R REIT and Kingsett Capital.
* Ridgeline Energy Services Inc : National Bank Financial cuts target price to C$0.60 from C$0.80 on the company's lack of visibility on cost and performance.
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian economic data includes Ivey PMI
* No major U.S. events and data scheduled for release
To access the newsletter, click on the link: http://share.thomsonreuters.com/assets/newsletters/Indiamorning/MNC_IN_06282017.pdf If you would like to receive this newsletter via email, please register at: https://forms.thomsonreuters.com/india-morning/ FACTORS TO WATCH 10:15 am: IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad at an event in New Delhi. 11:00 am: Junior Finance Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal at an event in New Delhi. 11:00 am: Earth Sciences Minister Harsh Vardh