Feb 25 Canadian stocks looked set to open higher
on Monday, tracking global markets, helped by speculation that
the United States and Japan will offer ultra easy monetary
policy for some time, but uncertainty about the outcome of the
closely-fought election in Italy could keep a lid on gains.
* Sales of BlackBerry's make-or-break line of
smartphones are running faster than expected, and the company
has increased production too keep up, its chief executive said
in a newspaper.
* Suncor Energy Inc and Canadian Natural Resources
Ltd : Shares of the two companies could gain more than
25 percent in the next year, helped by valuable asset bases that
may attract activist investors, Barron's said in its Feb. 25
* Italians voted for a second and final day in a general
election on Monday with a surge in protest votes increasing the
risk of an unstable outcome that could undermine Europe's
efforts to end its three-year debt crisis.
* Japan's prime minister is likely to nominate an advocate
of aggressive monetary easing - Asian Development Bank President
Haruhiko Kuroda - as the next central bank governor to step up
his fight to finally rid the country of deflation.
* China Petroleum & Chemical Corp (Sinopec), Asia's largest
oil refiner, will buy a 50 percent stake in Chesapeake Energy
Corp's Mississippi Lime oil and gas properties in Oklahoma and
Kansas for $1.02 billion, a Sinopec source said.
* Canada stock futures traded up 0.69 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were up
around 0.45 percent to 0.82 percent
* European shares, were up
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 296.1689;
rose 0.74 percent
* Gold futures : $1,591.6; rose 1.22 percent
* US crude : $94.19; rose 1.14 percent
* Brent crude : $115.64; rose 1.35 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,868.25; rose 0.86 percent
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* Centerra Gold Inc : Canaccord Genuity cuts to hold
from buy and cuts price target to C$7 from C$15 after an update
on the Kyrgyz Republic Parliamentary Decree and new potential
environmental charges that increase uncertainty surrounding the
resolution of ownership terms at Kumtor.
* Conifex Timber Inc : RBC cuts to sector perform
from outperform citing the company's weaker-than-expected
* Onex Corp : CIBC raises target to C$52.50 from
C$45 on the company's exposure to a U.S. recovery and a growing
stream of fee earnings.
* Western Energy Services Corp : RBC raises target
to C$12 from C$10 after the company announced the acquisition of
IROC Energy Services Corp.
* MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd : CIBC
raises target price to C$72 from C$66 on valuation to reflect
several opportunities to improve utilization after the
completion of the acquisition of Loral Space and Communications
Inc's manufacturing arm.
ON THE CALENDAR
* No major Canadian economic data scheduled for release
* Major U.S. events and data includes Chicago Fed index and
Dallas Fed mfg index